BMC air filter, Race ECU, Ohlins Steering Damper - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

BMC air filter, Race ECU, Ohlins Steering Damper

It was also time to fit the BMC air filter and the race ECU

All I can say about the ride after fitting the RACE ECU is "Wild Child" - you cant believe how it transformed the performance.
Anything under 3500rpm it coughed, farted and spluttered it refused to idle, while coughing black smoke, and getting it started was a mission, but once you get it above 4000rpm, no smoke, but grow teeth in your arse and hold on cos it wants to chuck you off as stretches your arms and the front wheel climbs skywards as it takes off like a scolded cat. :

But unfortunately this IS a RACE ECU so it is almost unrideable around the burbs, so I removed the Race ECU and refitted the OEM ECU as it is my main commuter.

1st task was to remove the tank, easy as, , , remove the seat, then the two screws from the ignition key cover, then the main tank screw and two side screws. Unclip the small plastic cover on each side. Unplug the fuel pump connector, and unclip the fuel line.

then remove the airbox, unclip the two spring clips, remove two forward screws and slide up and back off the throttle bodies.

With tank removed.

Position of ECU under back of airbox

Throttle bodies with Airbox removed

Remove the 12 screws to open the airbox
The standard oiled foam air filter

The removed cover

The BMC airfilter in place -dont forget to apply the perimeter sealing foam, and ensure the it faces front as per installation instructions

Removing the OEM ECU
Unplug the two connectors
undo the 5mm top bolt, swing it down and back, then loosen the 4 mounting screws

The RACE ECU in Place

Airbox refitted

Fitting the steering damper was easy
Remove the two allen screws holding the handlebars to the triple clamp
Remove the two hinge pins
Remove the top handlebar clamp
Install the Ohlins handlebar clamp by replacing the two hinge pins and use the Ohlins supplied cap screws (the OEM item has a lip which is now too wide) and tighten
Remove the two screws from the ignition switch cover
Install the bracket and pin to the two ignition switch cover screws use the Ohlins longer screws
Install the damper to the new handlebar clamp with the two screws provided.
Check that all six screws are tight.
Done

2013 KTM 1190 Adv
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 920
2011 Ducati 1200 Multistrada
2010 KTM 990 SMT
1981 Kawasaki Z1000 ELR
1980 Honda CB900F

Last edited by brut920; 03-17-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:59 PM

New Site Garage
removing cover is not needed, the rubber strip is enough!! to replace the filter.

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:01 PM

Wow you've been a busy boy . You're braver than me at attempting those sort of jobs . Nice one .

Brutale 800 Italia
Monster 796 .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:15 PM

Are you sure when the bike wit race ecu goes on a dyno and is adjusted correctly the bike can also be used as a commuter ? I don,t doubt your skills , but IMHO you need dyno time when installing a race ecu.
On mine it works fine , but that's with a full mv corse system on a 910 r.
Also when the suspension is set up correctly and you don,t race , why you need that steering damper ?
Don,t want to sound rude , just wandering ?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greny View Post
Are you sure when the bike with race ecu goes on a dyno and is adjusted correctly the bike can also be used as a commuter ? I don,t doubt your skills , but IMHO you need dyno time when installing a race ecu.
On mine it works fine , but that's with a full mv corse system on a 910 r.
Also when the suspension is set up correctly and you don,t race , why you need that steering damper ?
Don,t want to sound rude , just wandering ?
Mine has a full Arrow system.
I was actually hoping that the ECU was going to be plug n play.
After my ride, it was also my conclusion that the ECU would require dyno time to get it running sweetly, but unfortunately this bike is (according to stealer) the 1st Brutale in South Africa, (although the F4 has been around here a while) so this means that none of the local tuning houses will have either the equipment (plugs) or the experience to dyno tune the Brutale ECU, so I will wait a while, speak with the tuning shops and then I'll make another call on refitting the Race ECU.

Damper - At speeds above 180kph, I get a bit of weave, it feels like it is generated by wind and crosswinds buffeting inbetween my chest and arms, then transferred to the bars, I am hoping that by fitting the damper it will solve this, the jury is still out, but I'll inform either way, better or not.

I fitted a steering damper to my KTM 990 SMT it is by far the best and most beneficial accessory that I have fitted to this bike, I'm still looking for one for the Duc Multi 1200

2013 KTM 1190 Adv
2010 KTM 990 SMT
1981 Kawasaki Z1000 ELR
1980 Honda CB900F

Last edited by brut920; 03-17-2012 at 02:48 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 11:32 PM

I've done all of this plus 3pages more. Race ecu needs race exhaust. Did u do this w stock exhaust? If so, of course it ran like garbage. It was designed for an unrestricted system. Mine is beautiful. I also added the power commander V also. Steering damper is fine but it is far from the best thing you can do. Performance upgrades can't be a little here and a little there and expect something great. It is all or nothing. It all works together. I have every MV Corse part from the chain and sprockets to the bodywork. The race ecu is fine. Something else was wrong.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchaplin4 View Post
Race ecu needs race exhaust. It was designed for an unrestricted system. Mine is beautiful. I also added the power commander V also. Performance upgrades can't be a little here and a little there and expect something great. It is all or nothing. It all works together. The race ecu is fine. Something else was wrong.
Full Arrow System with db killer removed, BMC air flter, , ,

2013 KTM 1190 Adv
2010 KTM 990 SMT
1981 Kawasaki Z1000 ELR
1980 Honda CB900F
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 08:30 PM

hello brut920
i have a similar set up as you
so far i have
arrow full system
bmc air filter
she is going to X-bike on tuesday to fit a microtec ecu and dyno mapping.
ohlins steering damper
also just received bst carbon wheels.
regards
allen
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brut920 View Post
Full Arrow System with db killer removed, BMC air flter, , ,
It should have been fine then, Not sure other than add the Power Commander which will smooth out the race ecu and correct the fuel map at low rpms after a fine tune. Mine hasn't even been tuned yet and runs beautifully. Not sure what to tell you. Sorry it didn't work. BSTs on mine to.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 AM

New Site Garage
Just a stab in the dark mate. Did you get the TPS reset ? Was there any other gear with the ECU, like rubber plugs and so forth ? Do you still have the Lambda sensor in the exhaust, I am pretty sure you should unplug that when you fit the race ECU.

Look, the race ECU is designed to give you improved performance, but you have to get the TPS reset at least, it is also a road commuting unit.

Not sure how they do it on the 920's but the dealer should be able to do that for you if he can do F4's.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode