Empty battery - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Empty battery

My friend have a 06 'Brutale 750 and it draws power when not in use. (In any case, did it before winter storage.) If I run daily, it is no problem, but once the bike is stationary for more than 5 days, the battery is empty. Anybody have tips on what is the culprit?

Brutale 910R Hydrogen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And White bullet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 PM

Have u got an alarm on your bike Glen ?

joe
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The meter draws current to keep the clock running....but you really need a maintenance charger....buy an OptiMate 3+ or 4...plug it in and forget it.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 07:23 AM

Hi,

I am the one with the problem

I don't have an alarm, but the battery has started to drain way faster than normal. Changed the battery at the end of last years seson, but the problem continued. I removed the battery for winter storage and haven't really had the chance to further investiage the problem. The seson hasn't really started in Norway yet

I will try to find my mutimeter and try to locate the leak. But if anyone knows if there are any known boxes or wires that typically causes such drain, I'll really appreciate a hint.

Cheers
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 08:16 AM

New Site Garage
Smile Welcome Hugo

Mate I'm sorry to say but this is something very common amongst MV's and many modern bikes. Like Ed said, the clock drains power, but that is not all, the CPU and charging system can also drain the battery. Most later model MV's actually come from the factory with a battery tender. There are many models available on the market and you don't need the most expensive either, here are some you can look at. -

http://www.designcorse.co.uk/Mv_Agus...ighter_Charger
or
http://batterytender.com/motorcycle.html

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 08:35 AM

Ok, thanks for the help. I have a battery charger so I will manage, but I still remember the times when I could park the bike for a week and still start it without any problems There is a power leak somewhere, and hopefully I'll find it. But If not, I'll just be frequent with the charger. Not a bit issue really
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 08:41 AM

New Site Garage
That bad mate? Have a good look at the earth connections and the battery terminals for good connection. What battery did you put in as replacement ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 09:04 AM

I put in a pretty cheap batteri, so that could be the cause as well. Don't remeber the name. I'll check the battery and start looking for the source of the drain as soon as the damn snow melts. Thanks for the help.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
It's not the bike....you just answered your own question of what is the cause. You put in a cheap battery. It was cheap because the manufacturer used crappy materials and poor assembly quality controls. The plates inside your battery are deteriorating.

You can make it last with a good tender...again, you get what you pay for. Optimate is the best. Recommended by every major motorcycle manufacturer.

When you buy a replacement, get a good battery. I have found that Yuasa batteries (if properly maintained) last for many years. I had 8 on my old 600 when i sold it (and still going strong) and have 4 on my original MV so far.....

Not to mention the Yuasa battery in my track only SV which is rarely ridden....it is 3 years old and was pulled from a warranty bin 2 years ago (declared dead by the dealership) and was recovered with an Optimate 3 charger....still going strong today.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Established Member

If the bike isnt used for a while then the plates inside the battery will sulphate, this sulphate layer is an insulator, which then inhibits the battery from being charged and discharged.
Most good m/cycle chargers (C-Tek, Optimate) etc have a de-sulphate ultrasonic pulse cycle built in to their charging / maintanance program that keeps this plate sulphation under control
If your bike is going to be standing for a while (more than 2-3 weeks) always have it permanently connected to a good charger such as C-Tek or Optimate (on maintanance or winter program)

2013 KTM 1190 Adv
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 920
2011 Ducati 1200 Multistrada
2010 KTM 990 SMT
1981 Kawasaki Z1000 ELR
1980 Honda CB900F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode