Crash Damage / Tip Over PROTECTION ? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Crash Damage / Tip Over PROTECTION ?

Anyone unfortunate enough to have 1st hand experience with Sliders Crash Protection:-

frame - spindle - bar ends - c/case ends etc etc

Great to know which & works, worth buying types / brands ....,
Maybe track bike racer could give us some feed back ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Established Member

good question,im intrested in this one too...as a track bike rider i prefer none as they dig in and cause the bike to flip but on a road bike i like them just incase i fall over whilst stationary.lol...so whats the best?
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 04:25 PM

On track or road I would prefer to have engine casing and frame protection at all times. Just think how gutted you would be if you didn't have any crash protection and you had a low slide and your bike didn't even reach the edge of the track to flip!

I saw this happen last year to a Brutale owner on this forum at Le Mans. His frame protectors saved him hundreds if not thousands in a repair bill. He had no engine casing protection and was lucky he did not lose most of his oil as a result.

No it might not be the prettiest add on to your bike, but the fear of a bike flipping because it is fitted with crash protection is IMHO over stated. Yes it might happen, but then if it didn't they will have hopefully saved you a whole load of grief.

Stuck on a rock off the coast of France
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBrut View Post
On track or road I would prefer to have engine casing and frame protection at all times. Just think how gutted you would be if you didn't have any crash protection and you had a low slide and your bike didn't even reach the edge of the track to flip!

I saw this happen last year to a Brutale owner on this forum at Le Mans. His frame protectors saved him hundreds if not thousands in a repair bill. He had no engine casing protection and was lucky he did not lose most of his oil as a result.

No it might not be the prettiest add on to your bike, but the fear of a bike flipping because it is fitted with crash protection is IMHO over stated. Yes it might happen, but then if it didn't they will have hopefully saved you a whole load of grief.

with my personal experiance and my missis dropping her tracks all the time, this year im steering away from r+g type mushrooms as 2 out of the 3 times she has come off the bike has been rolled by the mushrooms digging in when the bike met the grass,but the engine protection allways works and is a good call.has anyone experiance of those flat alloy type frame sliders as they look good too.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 05:01 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I crash on the track all the time. My F4 has frame sliders mounted in the rear frame mounts, not the front where the cylinder heads are. They work very well and you don't have to cut up your fairings.

I didn't crash last year, though. Must have been the paint.

Last edited by CAG; 02-11-2012 at 05:13 PM.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 05:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to psycho16161
Try the MV Corse ones, shaped kinda like a teardrop. They look pretty small but did a great job on my bike in a 80kph front end lose, kept the tank offthe road completely & not a mark on the frame. I'll post some pics when my busted ribs & shoulder blade let me move enough.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm looking at buying a 1078RR, I've previously owed a 05 Brutale and 06 F1000, Brutale I had purchased some sliders. I would like to know from real life experience results of lowsides / tip overs. My concern is the frame slider that bolts through the cyl head support mount if low profile types work better than the slightly ugly extended type, and if and damage / distortion of the frame mount has occurred.

Back in 06 I took my F4 to the RING (Nurburgring) with my friends Senna 916 we had already riden a couple laps on arrival late in the afternoon on a nice dry track, next morning cold damp track / wet in places, 1st lap maybe 3rd or 4th turn, the 2nd turn after the downhill from the start, 916 is in front, I feel both ends slipping while my mate drops his Senna, no protection, nothing serious but punched small hole through case cover on LHS, and that was his Ring Ride done. I was very lucky that 1000 was not any where near as rider friendly V a 916 in the wet.

Lets get some more feed back
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Established Member

this is my missis at pembrey and if you watch the last 20seconds or so the bike starts tumbling.the next bloke behind her said the bike rolled when the mushroom hit the soil but im not 100% on the as the bike has turned so it could have been the bar...end result was a written off gsxr 600.

http://youtu.be/YC1JQL4PBHI
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
I had a freeway crach at about 70 mph and i got away with just a broken headlight being the most expensive fix. Frame sliders a MUST, Bar ends a must, and i would recommend carbon fiber engine block protection, saved me thousands and the engine block
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho16161 View Post
Try the MV Corse ones, shaped kinda like a teardrop. They look pretty small but did a great job on my bike in a 80kph front end lose, kept the tank offthe road completely & not a mark on the frame. I'll post some pics when my busted ribs & shoulder blade let me move enough.
Thanks for that, These alloy units were on top of my list, think they would minimize digging in and tumbling the bike

UK Expat
" time starts now " THE GETAWAY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode