Electrical things hate me. Turn signals made hard. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Electrical things hate me. Turn signals made hard.

Only a moron can make this difficult. Bike is about 10 mins away from road legal - I was to replace the left-side turn signals that were smashed-up when we went down.

I purchased four (4) rizoma Graffio signals, preferring to make the look uniform. I connected all the leads correctly (I believe - white to red, black to yellow/green, red to red, etc), soldered joints, used bullet connectors...and VOI--ehh...no. No flashing, not so much as a blink. Sure, the dash indicates flashing. The graffio signals have a load box built in, apparently; also I actually prefer manic flashing turn signals, so I did not use the resistors provided (don't tell me the resistors were necessary. That's not what 'that shop guy' told me). So long story short, the fuses are blown. I don't know when this happened. What. The. Fuck. I've never had this problem on any other bike. Something does not want me to touch a brutale ever again.

p.s. i did try after one rizoma was installed in rear, with OEM on front - this did work. It's only once I thought all was kosher and installed remaining three that kaput.

Advice?

And where are brutale fuses born - can I get these at an american auto supply or are they made by someone's grandfather in a backyard in piedmont?

Last edited by two_daily; 01-31-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 05:17 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
There are no relays on a Brutale. There is however an SPU. It is available from your dealer for about $600. That's the bad news.

The good news is if it is just blown fuses it is an easy and inexpensive fix.

Last edited by CAG; 02-01-2012 at 12:20 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Wow. I honestly do not get it. So what exactly is this 'not fuse box' looking object I find under the right side panel? I checked the 'not fuses' under the cover indicating the turn signals (coded DX, SX, maybe? don't remember), and took out two yellow 5 amp 'not fuses' that were shot in the middle. All other 'not fuses' fine.

I am absolutely lost. I have these two unhappy looking yellow creature/aliens in front of me, and one sound replacement yellow alien in the brutale toolbag that I don't want to sacrifice until I have better idea of what's shakin'. The machine still runs like diesel tractor, btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 AM

I don't know much about Brutales but Carl does.

This is a pic of an SPU from a previous post.

You haven't got much to lose by trying to replace popped out fuses with fuses of same rating.

SPU burn out does happen on these bikes...and they cost a few bucks too. However not much repeat of problem once the offending unit is swapped out.

I hope yours is just the fuse.

joe
Attached Images

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 12:12 PM
CAG

Sorry, not fuses, I meant relays. I'll amend that post.

I think you should go to the parts store and buy another couple 5 amp fuses. Plug them in place of the broken ones. If they blow again, it will have cost you a few $ to realize you have a short somewhere.

If that's the case, go back and look again at the three connections you made after you tried the bike with one rizoma and one stock. Also look at the the wiring to the indicators that were crashed. It is possible the wire was nicked and is shorting out against itself.

Last edited by CAG; 02-01-2012 at 12:24 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Al-

that wiring is correct btw, i just checked mine yesterday.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Will certainly get more fuses. Thanks for checking your wires, Al - that's reassuring. As for the resistors, they aren't necessary, can someone check me here?
Thanks again, guys -
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Established Member

Why not try, at least on one side, remove the new turn signals and put back the original, if everything is working OK at least you know that the SPU is working properly.

I have the LED turn signals on my Brutale, I installed the resistors and everything is working properly from day one.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 02:41 PM
CAG

I have rizomas on my Brutale with the resistors and they work perfectly too.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:52 PM

Yeah I also have Rizomas on my bike, I fitted the resistors though and have had no problems...check out my thread if it's any help http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37009 Hope you get it sorted Cheers Brian.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode