920/r1090 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

920/r1090

Hi,

I was hoping members with either the 920 or r1090 could give a bit of a review of their bikes and what they rode before. I have a 900 hornet that i am looking to upgrade from and although I test rode a 920 recently, it wasn't for long enough or on out of town roads to really get a feel for it. Sounds a bit like a diesel engine at idle but great with with rev's up. The r1090 was not a demo. It would be my main mode of transport, so reliability and not turning to a pile of rust after getting wet are important. Being new bikes over here, there doesn't seem to be too many road tests online.

Thanks for any input.

wajor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 AM

Hi
I have a 920 .
I used to have a Triumph street triple which I had for 4 years and did 20k miles on, fantastic fun bike .
The MV I've done bout 1200 miles so far in the first 3 months . Bike is great, suspension soaks up the bumps nice and the Brembo's are amazing! . Gearbox is OK but not the best I've ever used, maybe it will loosen up with more mileage .Steering is one of the reasons I bought the bike as it was light and accurate just like the Triumph . Engine pulls well whatever the gear or revs with only the slightest movement of the throttle . The sport map seems to make virtuallly no difference at all, just a bit more slack in the throttle . The traction control I've got set on the most sensitive setting and it's spun up twice on me on wet roads so don't think it works very well . I've read 2 magazine tests and they both said the same about the TC . The riding position is a bit more over the bars, but that is what I was looking for .It's more of a stretch to put a foot down but no big deal .Overall very pleased with the MV, it was a big desicion to get it as it meant borrowing money and no dealer close by but it's a cracker! .

Brutale 800 Italia
Monster 796 .
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Doggy,

Interesting read. Did you try the R1090 as well before buying the 920?
I tried to change out of sport mode to see if there was a noticeable difference, but failed to work it out. The 920 did feel good - the gearbox felt smoother and quieter than the Hornet and I thought it was comfortable, a bit narrower than my current bike, and the pull was great. The finish on the 1090 seems much better, although I have only seen the black 920.
It appeared to run very warm compared to my Honda. It has been late 30's for a while here now (over 40 the last few days) so cooling in traffic or at lights is a concern. Not a problem I ever had to worry about growing up in Wiltshire!

Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 10:51 PM
col

New Site Garage
to be honest i tried the 1090 and the 920 decided to keep my 910 S
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 01:35 AM

I have the 920, coming from a Ninja Zx10r and a Speed Triple.
The MV is a fantastic beast, so far I have clocked in 4000km, and I find it as much fun as the S3 and a much more user friendly bike than the Ninja for the roads.
Downsides (most of these are personal perspective though):
- the pegs are to slippery (pending Rizoma replacements);
- my right foot gets hot due to the close proximity of the exhaust during summer months (>30 degrees) - not sure how to solve this one yet though

I only use SPORT mode, as I do see a difference with NORMAL, and sport is perfect for me. I hear a lot of others state that the Brutale can be a bit aggressive in the city, but I do not have that issue.

I had tested the 990 beforehand, but I preferred the 920. I cannot put my finger on the reason why, but there was something there in the overall feel.

Overall, I could not be happier with it. She has the power for the highways, and is great in the twisties.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 02:43 AM
Established Member

All this talk of the 920 is making my @rs3 itch :

My 920 was supposed to have been delivered on 09 Jan but for some or other reason the sailing of the ship from Italy was cancelled and the container had to be unloaded and reloaded onto another vessel (not BS the local Stealer got their shipping agent to email all the correspondence) so the new arrival date is 15 Feb and I'm actually in Italy on business at that time

I just cant wait -
in the meantime based on what Ive been reading here Ive ordered a truck load of accessories from one of the forum sponsors :
Arrow - full system, ECU, Air filter, Levers, Replacement footpegs, Screen, Ohlins steering damper, wheel nut spanner, Reservoir caps, Tank pad, and and and

2013 KTM 1190 Adv
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 920
2011 Ducati 1200 Multistrada
2010 KTM 990 SMT
1981 Kawasaki Z1000 ELR
1980 Honda CB900F
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 03:22 AM

New Site Garage
Smile 1090 Everytime

Cooling is not an issuae on the Brutale's, not near as bad as the F4's. Just get it mate, or a 1090RR would be even better.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 07:32 AM

Great that there are a few 920 owners about
Brut920 that's some shopping list so far!
Only a few mods on mine .Melotti tail tidy, different rear indicators, rear hugger, MV Corse engine sliders, bar end mirrors . Going to order some red frame plugs next pay day .

Brutale 800 Italia
Monster 796 .
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Established Member

I like the tail tidy - time to revise the shopping list :

2013 KTM 1190 Adv
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 920
2011 Ducati 1200 Multistrada
2010 KTM 990 SMT
1981 Kawasaki Z1000 ELR
1980 Honda CB900F
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 12:39 PM

Do you ever carry a pillion ?? My girlfriend found the seat on the 920 far more comfortable as the rear seat on the 1090 has a hard plastic ridge at the front of it that she found painfull when she slid forward under braking or when she wanted to sit closer to me. The 920 has a one piece seat without the ridge.

The finish is hard to keep nice & all weather riding in my opinion would be a huge mistake ! Judging from the state of the fasteners & exposed metal parts on used ones & demo bikes at our local dealers my opinion is justified.

Andy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode