1099rr on my shortlist. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

1099rr on my shortlist.

First and foremost hi from a newbie.

As the title suggests im on my way to investigating this very tasty machine.
Not to be a pain, i have a couple of questions to owners, and in particular those of you who jumped of a "fairing" sportsbike onto a Brutale.

The reason i ask is, my current ride is a 2006 ZX12r and i love the bike to death, but i have wrists of a 90yr old and cant put up with the pain anymore.
I do however love the power,, hence Brutale 1090rr, my concerns are getting wind blow off the thing as most of my ride is done upwards of 100kms and 100kmh.
Whats the protection like??? My dealer in Melbourne is inner city and i reckon the chance of a highway test ride is just about going to be outta the question.
Cheers & Thanks,
Andre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 PM

Wind

It isn't bad unless you are on the plains on a windy day or get passed by semis often. They make a few versions of front fairings for the Brutale. A have one from Biondi. If your wrists are the problem, get a Brutale but take it easy on energetic take offs. it wheelies like a crazy person and it surprised me early in my ownership and I came down harder than I meant to and cracked a couple wrist bones. Still bugs me a bit, stay on the gas and ride it out.
Attached Images

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 AM

Hi Andre,

The Brutale has zero wind protection as standard. 120kph to 140kph is ok. After that you have to start really holding on and tuck right down. If you tuck down to far your head ends up in front of the instrument cluster and it's even worse.

They are the coolest bike though and just great in the twisties.

IMO, a fairing does not do the Brutale justice. Leave it naked and accept that about 130kph is a fast as you want to go for any distance.

Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 02:00 AM

I went from faired to naked.
Pros: love the leverage of the wide bars in the tighter stuff, no appreciable helmet noise difference, easier to keep to legal speeds around town
Cons: Buffeting if you follow close behind trucks - hang back then blast past

I haven't any other issues with wind protection or having to hold on tight, but I am only 5'8" / 80kgs. Didn't feel the need to crouch down at high speeds. No issues with longer days (600kms) either.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 02:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to psycho16161
Gday Andre, Good to see another G town guy on here. Wind buffeting not a prob at road speeds up to 160ish & she gets there bloody quick. Rarely exceed those kind of speeds on the road nowadays. Do it mate you'll love it!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 02:42 AM

Agree with everything said above...about 160-180 is the limit before you feel the wind or you have to tuck down - it ain't too bad (as a comparison, an F4 you could get to 260 without really feeling the wind)

I installed a screen (from Design Corse) and it works pretty well.

Handles superbly in the twisties - a "bmx bike with a V8 turbo" is how I describe my bike to others....

Watch those wheelies...1st, 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies are pretty easy !

Awesome bike !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe and take care.

GETEC - Glenn
Vivere il sogno !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getec View Post
Agree with everything said above...about 160-180 is the limit before you feel the wind or you have to tuck down - it ain't too bad (as a comparison, an F4 you could get to 260 without really feeling the wind)

I installed a screen (from Design Corse) and it works pretty well.

Handles superbly in the twisties - a "bmx bike with a V8 turbo" is how I describe my bike to others....

Watch those wheelies...1st, 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies are pretty easy !

Awesome bike !
man you will be having so much fun getting to 160 that you will want to go back to 0 and do again and again . it`s the best fun on 2 wheels
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 04:18 AM

New Site Garage
Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Brutale View Post
man you will be having so much fun getting to 160 that you will want to go back to 0 and do again and again . it`s the best fun on 2 wheels
Tony's got it summed up. Rode back from Brisbane to Townsville (1400k) at all sorts of speeds up to 240k and above. Wind takes the weight off your wrists above 100k and you can just hang there. Buffeting above 160 but I don't go there for too long. Like my license too much. More comfortable than I thought it would be for long distance. Handles great. Makes my Buell feel like a camel.

Cheers

Deano
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Established Member

ive come to the 1090rr from a trick gsxr 1000 k5.i find the 1090 has put more smiles on my face in the 600miles ive done so far that the last 5000 miles on the k5.its a compleatly different beast,i used to ride around Wales/UK at 130mph every sunday risking my life and licence so decided to go unfaired to slow myself down.to a degree it has due to the aerodynamics.i find that i can comfortably ride at 100mph all day long then 110mph i have to brace abit and over that up to 150+ its time to hold on.lol....i ride with mates who are on race reps such as cbr1000rr,gsxr 1000/750's and the like and the only time there up my ass is on the longer straights where im not bothered about going too fast anyway.im 100% convinced ive made the right move but this summer will be the clincher.i must just add i do alot of track days on a gsxr 750 so i get my high speed thrills on the track.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the positive and constructive comments. Sounds like it would be hard to pass up.
Psycho, thanks mate,. I have probably seen you around, i live in Anakie, so my playground is the Brisbane ranges, which i dare say you may have had some fun with too.

I have no problem with the lower side of 160kmh, screwing the 12R well past the double ton is fun but a good way to get dead or start walking with no lic for a very long time. Comfort and good HP is what im after, oh and sh!te loads of fun too.
Cheers, Andre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode