Thinking about buying a 1090RR - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about buying a 1090RR

Hi Guys

thinking about buying a 1090RR, there are a couple available, one thats about a year old and only has 500kms on the clock and then brand new ones.

I have searched and read through a few of the threads and from what I can gather the issues with them so far have been

headlight lens coming off
wheel bearings becoming gritty after 10,000 kms (6000 miles)
Rear hub issues
And some snatchy fueling but this was only experienced by some people and not the majority.

Is there anything else out there that I should be on the lookout for the 1090RR?

How do I look for these issues? Any specific tell tale signs?

Also would you guys be looking at a brand new one with warranty etc over the 1 year old one with 500kms?

On top of these if/when i buy one and want to add a few extras to it, is it better to go with the MV Corse Chip and Exhaust or go with the microtech system and a mid pipe to get rid of the cat and keep the standard exhaust which i much prefer the look of than the shorty?

Last question that I can think of, would i be better off waiting a couple of months and getting a 2012 model rather than a 2010 or 2011?

Sorry to bombard you with a million questions all in one post but thought it would be easiest.

To put it in perspective I currently ride a 2011 CBR100 but want to go back to riding nakeds. I used to own A 2008 Benelli Cafe Racer and a 2008 Moto Morini Veloce. I took the Brutale 920 for a test ride the other day back to back with a Tuono V4 and both myself and a mate i was riding with liked the 920 better on the route we took them on.

Will have to see if i can get a longer run as most of my riding is done out in the country and see how they stack up then.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 09:52 PM

13 weeks old, 9000k's, and the best bike I have ever owned (I have an F4 as well!!). Mine has zero issues and I will just keep riding the ring off it......Just get one you won't regret it.

Rear hub issues? Just don't let anyone else do your chain adjustment, do it yourself and use the correct torque. My F4 has 60k on the clock and have never replaced the hub except when the service manual tells me I should.

After being on this forum for the last 7 or 8 years I am getting the idea that the guys who ride their bikes a lot seemingly have very few problems compared with those who don't. This could be a mass generalization but I do a crap load of milage and neither of my MV's have missed a beat and others who do lots of k's seem to be the same.

Could be just me though.......
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Talking MV Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4SR View Post
13 weeks old, 9000k's, and the best bike I have ever owned (I have an F4 as well!!). Mine has zero issues and I will just keep riding the ring off it......Just get one you won't regret it.

Rear hub issues? Just don't let anyone else do your chain adjustment, do it yourself and use the correct torque. My F4 has 60k on the clock and have never replaced the hub except when the service manual tells me I should.

After being on this forum for the last 7 or 8 years I am getting the idea that the guys who ride their bikes a lot seemingly have very few problems compared with those who don't. This could be a mass generalization but I do a crap load of milage and neither of my MV's have missed a beat and others who do lots of k's seem to be the same.

Could be just me though.......
You are certainly NOT kidding

So next time I am in Melbourne, I should just look for the Brutale cab & hail it?

Awesome to read a post like this - I love this forum but sometimes it's depressing reading all the posts about how everything is always falling apart, about to fall apart or will inevitably fall apart.

How refreshing - apart from my dashbaord failure which was a simple (once found) no cost fix - I have had no problems either @21K. Maybe it's just us two?

Cheers & thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 01:04 AM

Smile

I ride my 1090RR almost every day (and often evening) since May, almost 16,000km. Loving it, really good fun especially after suspension was adjusted, no issues whatsoever, except mirrors but those were replaced under warranty. It loves to turn, inspires confidence and makes you do "unusual things". One of them was riding in thunderstorm in the mountains at night for a few hours. Spectacular!

Don't worry about "snatchy throttle" unless you like to keep your weight on handlebars. It is a powerful bike. Trooper Lu's guys do good maintenance on mine, and I think the less you interfere with it, the better. I personally have lots or power, stability, etc. in reserve and the more I learn the bigger that reserve seems to grow. Of course, I don't race it. Did some track days though.

If it was for me, I would buy 2011 1090RR new, it appears to be the same as 2012 but better priced.

Enjoy.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 02:15 AM

New Site Garage
Post Hi Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by waikikamucau View Post
Hi Guys

thinking about buying a 1090RR, there are a couple available, one thats about a year old and only has 500kms on the clock and then brand new ones.

I have searched and read through a few of the threads and from what I can gather the issues with them so far have been

headlight lens coming off

I have not heard of the new bikes loosing headlight lenses like the older models pre-2010

wheel bearings becoming gritty after 10,000 kms (6000 miles)

Do you mean front wheel bearings ?

Rear hub issues

I think you have been getting your models mixed up a bit. The 2010 bikes, which include the 1090R does not have the same hub issue's as the 1999-2009 models.

And some snatchy fueling but this was only experienced by some people and not the majority.

Fueling is quite good on the 1090's till you start messing with the pipes and ECU, then it is best to go for a Microtec but there are other options availible and I'll leave that to the blokes who have 1090's to inform you.

Is there anything else out there that I should be on the lookout for the 1090RR?

How do I look for these issues? Any specific tell tale signs?

The gearbox breaks a sector spring but MV replaces them with a upgraded part under warranty as far as I know.

Also would you guys be looking at a brand new one with warranty etc over the 1 year old one with 500kms?

On top of these if/when i buy one and want to add a few extras to it, is it better to go with the MV Corse Chip and Exhaust or go with the microtech system and a mid pipe to get rid of the cat and keep the standard exhaust which i much prefer the look of than the shorty?
You can do a mid-pipe and headres but still keep the stock tailpipes if you want, the electronics you will have to research a bit more, not sure where you would dyno it if you fit a Powercommander, I think Russel from Dynotime might help

Last question that I can think of, would i be better off waiting a couple of months and getting a 2012 model rather than a 2010 or 2011?

Sorry to bombard you with a million questions all in one post but thought it would be easiest.

To put it in perspective I currently ride a 2011 CBR100 but want to go back to riding nakeds. I used to own A 2008 Benelli Cafe Racer and a 2008 Moto Morini Veloce. I took the Brutale 920 for a test ride the other day back to back with a Tuono V4 and both myself and a mate i was riding with liked the 920 better on the route we took them on.

Will have to see if i can get a longer run as most of my riding is done out in the country and see how they stack up then.

Cheers
Good luck, I hope that helps.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 02:23 AM

New Site Garage
Smile Hi Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4SR View Post
Sorry to jump into the thread, that is great mileage mate, just curious though, how many hubs have you changed on your 750, or did you just replace bearings? Always curious about the stats, I know there are many guys who have never lost a hub, which is fair, but they never seem to say how many times they have replaced the bearings or like in some cases, complete hubs just because the manual suggest says you should.
Thanks for you input.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 06:07 AM

New Site Garage
Thinking about buying

waikikamucau,

Bought my 1078 at 4000k. The model I wanted. Had a bit of bad luck with the rear hub that could have been for a number of reasons and also a leaking battery which was bad luck also. If the price is right for the 500k bike go for it. Have the hub checked before you do any serious miles, especially torque settings. Plenty of knowledge on this site regarding this.

Daily ride. Best fucking bike I ever owned or have ridden. Buy one, you wont regret it. Puts a smile on my dial!

Cheers

Deano
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 11:30 AM
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 PM

I just bought a 2012 model !!

Hello Guys
I own a 2005 f4 mamba with 55000 km on the clock
I shore would'nt order another MV If I had lots off problems with it.
Only thing that went wrong is a cracked radiator , electronics
all are stil fine , no hub failure and still the same bearings in them
Use it everyday to go to work((60kms ) , rain or shine
Just not in winter , then I use my 25j old beemer, they use salt here
on the roads , and it eats to much on the metal.
O yeah , it's the new 2012 brutale in the black -greay colours I orderd, with the red frame ...can't wait
cheers
Peter

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS "TEAMWORK"
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Good luck, I hope that helps.

Thanks for all the info Donsy thats exactly what I was looking for!

I will drop in and see Russel when in back Perth next break and see if he has dealt with the microtec's before or not and if he is able to do them.

Otherwise I might have to get it all done at Trooper Lu's and then ride it back to WA, the only thing that worries me about that is if I do need warranty work done on it i wouldn't expect much support from the dealer here when I didnt buy it from them.

They unfortunately dont have the best rep for after sales service in the first place anyway.

MV-999R thanks for that link

Last edited by waikikamucau; 01-20-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode