WAIT?! Did I just blow the ecu?? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

WAIT?! Did I just blow the ecu??

This bike is trying to do everything possible as to make me never touch a motorbike again (nevermind the shattered skull).

SO:
1) Dead battery after welding job. Seriously, useless.
2) Replaced with Li-Fe shorai (cool toy!)
3) Cranked, started after a dozen tries, gas poor quality after garaged for 6 months following accident
4) Tried few days later, cranked a few times, but battery weak from prior attempt
5) Used car to try a jump, connected leads, car OFF
6) Tried to start, heard buzzing, unhappy sounds
7) Fack, no display, no diagnostic tach movement...
8) Tried to start 15 mins later - display came on (!) for two seconds, then gone. Of course won't start - starter button only dims the light.

Please don't tell me I knackered the ecu...I swear on the Book I saw her light up for the two seconds.
The fuses are solid.

Last edited by two_daily; 01-18-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 PM

Fuse check time mate, they are there to try and protect the electronics from such an arc.
Can't confirm where all your fuses are on the Brut sorry but I'm sure the more enlightened will tell us soon.

All the best! accident? you alright? what happened?

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life" #58

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
I think your battery is screwed or very flat, at least that's what I would diagnose from your description. The ECU should be fine.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

fuses under the right side panel by the tank. they were indeed all fine. may be indeed time to borrow a charger again. Just blows me away why it would have cranked more or less ok before tapping into a car batt, only to have the display vanish subsequently.

Edit: I think you guys may be on to something with the battery being flat. Did some searching online, and apparently the experience with LiFe batts is significantly different than lead-acids, correct me if I'm wrong. LiFe will crank poorly in cold temps, and as the battery warms up, will crank faster, and faster than lead-acid, at that (I confirm this). It will crank just as strongly until it is almost sapped, at which point it just...goes flat. So cranking strength is not an indicator of remaining battery power. Looks like I need a charge, apparently tenders without a desulfation mode should be fine.

Last edited by two_daily; 01-19-2012 at 11:33 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

as for the accident, it's old news now, two bits of advice - stay away from tree branches in the road, and stay away from Nexx carbon helmets.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Al-

i think the issue is with that battery not with the bike because it started fine off a battery box before it left the shop. I've heard that when its really cold, those batteries can benefit from just letting the bike sit with the highbeams on for a little bit before trying to start. Doesn't make much sense to me, but that's what I was told.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Established Member

Taking into account the number 5, 6 and 8 with your list, I'd say you have a problem with the starter relay or starter motor.
Power was more than enough because it was a jump from the car, meaning that no battery problem, possibly contacts on the relay or the starter, if all fuses are OK.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Established Member

Sooo...

You purchased a Shorai but not the recmmended charger? Don't let the voltage on tht battery decay too much or it'll be junk.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

how is it that the voltage will reduce? I read that charger without desulfation mode would be fine for the batt, i was planning to use one this weekend. any advice before I go about throwing out $140?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Established Member

From the Shorai website...

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_daily View Post
how is it that the voltage will reduce? I read that charger without desulfation mode would be fine for the batt, i was planning to use one this weekend. any advice before I go about throwing out $140?

http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx

Q. Should I use a battery tender?

A.The short answer is "only if you really need to". Most powersports enthusiasts have gotten used to hooking up a tender to their lead-acid batteries, all the time. Shorai LFX have much slower self-discharge than the best lead acid do (1/6 to 1/7, on average), they do not sulfate as capacity drops, and they are the ultimate "deep cycle" battery, which means that they can still crank your vehicle even if the remaining capacity is quite low. Therefore most riders will not need to use a tender at all. Even a charger or tender uses energy you have to pay for, and there is always the possibility that a charger or tender can fail in some way, so if not really needed the best practice is to not use one.
A fully charged LFX can sit for a year or more and still retain adequate starting capacity, without damaging the battery. As such, any vehicle which has no current flowing when the key is OFF should never need a tender. At most it should be charged every 6 to 12 months, depending on the average storage temperature (cool storage is much better for any battery). Many older vehicles and most dirtbike/atv fall into this category.
Newer vehicles may have a significant draw even when the key is OFF, to maintain clocks and computers, etc. In this case we expect that a few hours of riding per month will be all that is needed to avoid tending. If you know that you will go a number of weeks or months without riding, you can either attach a tender, or disconnect the negative cable from the battery. In any case, during storage you may use the voltage chart above and an accurate voltmeter, and consider recharging when the battery is around the 50% capacity remaining mark, or above.

Go check the voltage of the battery with a quality voltmeter. If the voltage has dropped below 12.86 the service life will be impacted. Spend the $$$ on the proper charger for your Shorai...

http://motowheels.com/i-7248141-shor...nt-system.html

Last edited by jones525; 01-19-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode