Lambda switch - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Lambda switch

G'Day,

Did my first oil change today and got in a bit of shit with the lambda switch. Couldn't get to the filter with my strap so tried driving a screwdriver through which I don't like doing usually. Anyway didn't work, bent the screwdriver.

So I dropped the exhaust to get the strap in. Got the filter off (very tight). Then the exhaust dropped further and pulled the wires of the lambda switch through the plug. Doesn't appear to be any damage and I should be able to feed them back through, into the plug body and reconnect, although how I'll get in there is going to be fun.

Problem is I don't know the sequence of the wires. Wiring diagram I have is so small it's unreadable and the F4 manual lists different colours. I have 4 wires - 2 x white, 1 x black and 1 x grey (could be green, I'm colour blind). Can anybody tell me the correct sequence in relation to the plug body?

Does this switch make a difference? Would it run without it? Bikes an 2009 1078 Brutale.

Cheers

Deano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 10:15 PM

You need it unless you replace the ecu w a race one and loose the catalytic converter. Which I did. Now I need to figure out if I need to get ride of the sensor and just plug the hole or if it matters if I leave it in. Just replace the sensor w a used one.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:01 PM

New Site Garage
Oh shit Deano

Let's hope someone with a B4 1078 comes up with the right figures to show you which wire goes on which pin for the sensor, It's easy-ish to get to from underneath as far as I could remember.
I have 2 pictures of wiring for the sensor, one from a B4 1078 and the other from F4 1078, the F4 look closer to your wiring colours but hard to say if you were serious about being colourblind, you might have to get some else to come check for you.

Yes you will need the sensor on your bike, otherwise the ECU will go into something like a "SAFE" mode and run like shit.
Attached Images

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:33 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up plug?

sensor side wiring, NTK OZA 591-BB2 sensor off my 910R
http://www.lambdasensor.co.uk/main/pic/common3.jpg

1 White
2 White
3 Gray
4 Black

a drain plug from a BMW bike will plug the hole, the thread is M18 X 1.5

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Lambda switch

Donsy,

Your diagram looks like the one. Yes I am colour blind and the wire looks a greeny grey or grey green so I'll take it as green. From the diagram I will go off the numbers also as the plug has numbers 1-4 on it where the wires go in. Bugger all room to move around the sachs resevoir. Can hardly see the plugs let alone get to them. I have pretty big hands so I'll have to get the wife to help.

So what's the go with the thing. Will they run without. I've started it but am loath to ride it before reconnecting in case of damage.

Knurl,

You've suggested a plug. What's your advice? If my wife's hands wont fit I'm looking at some serious dismantling to get at the plug from the top. I've had some lousy jobs over the years and this is up there with the best.

Thanks fellas to all replies.

Cheers

Deano
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 03:19 AM

New Site Garage
Oi Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Donsy,

Your diagram looks like the one. Yes I am colour blind and the wire looks a greeny grey or grey green so I'll take it as green. From the diagram I will go off the numbers also as the plug has numbers 1-4 on it where the wires go in. Bugger all room to move around the sachs resevoir. Can hardly see the plugs let alone get to them. I have pretty big hands so I'll have to get the wife to help.

So what's the go with the thing. Will they run without. I've started it but am loath to ride it before reconnecting in case of damage.

Knurl,

You've suggested a plug. What's your advice? If my wife's hands wont fit I'm looking at some serious dismantling to get at the plug from the top. I've had some lousy jobs over the years and this is up there with the best.

Thanks fellas to all replies.

Cheers

Deano
You have to read the whole post man .
Noel was commenting about the plug - as in the plug for the hole in the midpipe. That is for jchaplins advise, but he has been given the same advice so many times I am not sure it it ever going to get through to him.
Long story made short for you though - as long as you run the Stock ECU you will need the Lambda sensor connected.

Once you remove the Cat and get a Race ECU or a Microtec, then you get rid of the Lambda sensor, and you can just disconnect it and leave it in the hole as a plug, or you can get a plug to seal the hole.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Lambda switch

Donsey,

No worries.

Cheers mate

Deano
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 10:34 AM

Yeah you're right D, I've been given so much unsolicited advice I don't know what to do with it all, since you are the king of informing me on everything I never asked I will likely never take your suggestions just because it's you Cheers and all that. My comment here was since I have a race ecu and the sensor is not needed, how do you do away with it if this guy needs one and can't fix his? I can just send him mine. I know I can just block the hole but didn't know about unhooking the sensor. I'm asking anyone else Donsy.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 10:53 AM

New Site Garage
Post Uhm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchaplin4 View Post
Yeah you're right D, I've been given so much unsolicited advice I don't know what to do with it all, since you are the king of informing me on everything I never asked I will likely never take your suggestions just because it's you Cheers and all that. My comment here was since I have a race ecu and the sensor is not needed, how do you do away with it if this guy needs one and can't fix his? I can just send him mine. I know I can just block the hole but didn't know about unhooking the sensor. I'm asking anyone else Donsy.
Jason
When you first asked for advise, you did not have the race ECU, just a PC.
Deano has a Lambda sensor, he just needed to know how to re-connect it after the wires pulled out, pity you could not help him.
Glad you are sorted now.

Ever wonder why you get so little responce from older forum members when you ask your little questions? (Like what does a MV OEM stand look like)
You do do realise you are not the first guy on the planet to try and do mods on a MV ?
IF you stop treating everybody on the forum like they are idiots you might get some more help coming you way.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
You have to read the whole post man .
Noel was commenting about the plug - as in the plug for the hole in the midpipe. That is for jchaplins advise, but he has been given the same advice so many times I am not sure it it ever going to get through to him.
Long story made short for you though - as long as you run the Stock ECU you will need the Lambda sensor connected.

Once you remove the Cat and get a Race ECU or a Microtec, then you get rid of the Lambda sensor, and you can just disconnect it and leave it in the hole as a plug, or you can get a plug to seal the hole.
Hey Donsy, I have a microtek 191 fitted and also replaced the 'cat' with a titanium midpipe...however I have my Lambda sensor still connected and screwed into the midpipe (to plug the hole). Will this do any harm? (leaving it connected)...or should I disconnect it? Sorry if this is 'old ground' and been discussed before. Cheers Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode