06 910s Alternator issue... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

06 910s Alternator issue...

Hi,

I have a Brutale 910s.
A few days ago I had to recharge the battery because it hadn't been ridden for a while. When I put the battery back in, I cant remember if I accidently brushed the positive lead against the negative terminal or vice versa. Anyway, as a result the 30A battery recharge fuse blew. I replaced it and problem was fixed.

Two days ago I went on a trip away and the battery light came on after about 200 km.
I stopped a few km down the road and checked the battery recharge fuse. It had completely melted!

I replaced the existing 30A fuse and it started without a problem and idled as per normal. Anyway, as I revved the throttle to go the fuse blew again!

So, I replaced the fuse and managed to limp (keeping her under 4000 rpm, figuring the alternator ws playing up) to a nearby auto electrician.
He put a multimeter on the alternator and it was charging between 14.6 and 15.1. I think the correct charging amount is 13.8...
He seems to think the regulator/rectifier has had it.

My Dad lives close by so I managed to get to his place and that is where my Brutale remains until I can sort the problem out.

I have never had this problem before and I was wondering if anyone out there had any advice for me??
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 05:24 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Prepare for an epic rant from theknurl, but if I'm not mistaken the rectifier is internal to the alternator and is not available separately.

The alternator is $1200 new from the dealer. (This is where Noel enters stage left.) Your best bet is to find a used alternator. Should be around $300.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks CAG! I thought that might be the case!!

Any hints on where to get a used one???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink alternator?

contact;
http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/
there is an Ohm reading between the sliprings, if you're within the values, they can fix it otherwise CAG is where you go

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Ok thanks boys. Will do some homework and let u know...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 01:56 AM

I'm on my third alternator . If it's the rectifier you can replace it with a honda one , only difficulty is its a 2 wire not 3 wire . All depends on whether you wish to remain standard. I also find it is pretty easy to remove. Just a bit daunting removing the engine first time, but it is fairly simple really. Couple of hours to replace alternator third time around
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that.

I also realised that the battery recharge fuse in my Brutale is a 30A but in the manual it stipulates a 40A recharge fuse???
Would that be a reason it has blown a couple of times? ie not being able to put up with the charge from the alternator?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 PM

not sure with yours being an 06, but mine is a 40a fuse... i just replaced it after having hooked the battery up wrong :-(
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Established Member

I have a rectifier assembly I ordered when I researched this issue for someone else, it looks identical to the unit in the MV, I can send pics later. I believe I posted the part number for it, I will look and update the post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode