Coolant Overflow - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Cool Coolant Overflow

Hi Guys,
I am a proud owner of a MV Brutale 910 S and it is a great bike.
My only real issue is that i need to top the Coolant up every second ride . As i live in the city of Sydney it does get hot , but I should not have to do this should i ???
The Bike was purchased new by me and it is standard other than my new Rizoma Mirrors. The bike runs cool on the highway but when the temp is over 96 , coolant drips from the overflow at the lights.
Any suggestions would be apreciated.

Regards

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 05:04 AM
Established Member

Are you sure your really NEEDING to top it up all the time? Are you filling the overflow right up to the top of the bottle? You don't need to do this. This is the reason its overflowing all the time as coolant expands with heat. The overflow bottle needs to be maintained 'when cold' between the Max and Min marks. This in turn give the bottle room to expand when coolant gets hot and also coolant to recover back to the radiator when it cools down.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA01 View Post
Hi Guys,
I am a proud owner of a MV Brutale 910 S and it is a great bike.
My only real issue is that i need to top the Coolant up every second ride . As i live in the city of Sydney it does get hot , but I should not have to do this should i ???
The Bike was purchased new by me and it is standard other than my new Rizoma Mirrors. The bike runs cool on the highway but when the temp is over 96 , coolant drips from the overflow at the lights.
Any suggestions would be apreciated.

Regards

John
Likely..air in the system....When you stop..heat from engine block shunts into coolant jacket which as not circulating as fast as when under way and is also not being cooled by rad as much as bike is stationary at lights causes expansion of the air pocket which shoves coolant up into the bottle and then you get the drips from the overflow.

How I cured it...

From cold. with fluid at correct level as per manual....take off coolant cap....start the bike and let temp build to about 80 deg...ie do not let it boil. bubbles should rise...On my F4 I tilt bike left to right a few times to release air trapped in the lower parts of the rads.

Let the bike cool down..top up if necessary.

Ride the bike

I repeated this a few times over the next few days..Problem solved.

Conclusion...It is unlikely to succeed at filling and purging the rad of air in one go..It takes a bit of method..but not alot !

joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 AM

New Site Garage
You should not have too much issue with air in the system like some do on the F4's, do NOT fill your coolant higher than the LOW level with the bike up straight and cooled down.

And congrats with the new bike and welcome to the forum mate.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
You should not have too much issue with air in the system like some do on the F4's, do NOT fill your coolant higher than the LOW level with the bike up straight and cooled down.

And congrats with the new bike and welcome to the forum mate.
Hi Donsy

Do you recommend that fill to the lower level at cold on the oe F4 1000R too Donsy ? I know u have alot of experience of keeping your bikes cool in difficult conditions..

joe
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 AM

New Site Garage
Thumbs up Hi Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotojoe View Post
Hi Donsy

Do you recommend that fill to the lower level at cold on the oe F4 1000R too Donsy ? I know u have alot of experience of keeping your bikes cool in difficult conditions..

joe
Absolutely Joe, I never filled mine over the LOW mark before I did the oil cooler conversion.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 AM

cheers Donsy, I'll use that tip next time I am topping up etc

joe
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 07:40 AM

New Site Garage
I have had the same problem. It will most likely stabilize at the min mark as it did for me.

Brutale 910R Hydrogen

And White bullet
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 AM

Now I get it, It's like beer....If you put too much in the glass you spill it lol
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 02:25 PM

Some problem with my 750s!
If you search on the forum you'll find that more people have this "problem"

Just dont't fill her up above the LOW level, never had any heating problems until now !

Cheers,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode