Brutale clutch/gearbox - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Brutale clutch/gearbox

G'Day,

First up Merry Christmas/Happy New Year and all that to all. Hope it's a safe and enjoyable one.

A couple of questions on the clutch/gearbox on my 1078. All the reviews etc. rave about what a great gearbox they have. I'm still getting used to it but I'm having a few minor problems.

Looking to change down hard 3/4 gears coming into a corner and it wont punch down more than one. Have to fiddle with the clutch to get it down gears which is stuffing with my momentum etc.

Never ridden with a slipper clutch before. Bike has only 5000k and I know some things don't free up for a while. Up shifting with or without the clutch is no problems. Are there any adjustments that can be made?

Probably haven't explained myself all that well but punching down through the gears is a problem. Even normal downshifts around town can be 'notchy'. Chain tension is o.k. Definitely worse when the bike is cold. Improves as it gets up to temp.

Is this me or the bike?

Cheers

Deano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
How many miles on the bike? What kind of oil? Have not experienced any problems like that myself. Gina is a 2008 model, but slipper clutch on yours shouldn't affect shifting effort.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 12:00 AM

New Site Garage
Question

Dean, are you saying you go down throught the gears without pulling and releasing the clutch between gears, meaning you pull the clutch once and just go down one gear after another ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Donsy,

Even clutching every gear down is notchy and slow. Trying to change down by just clutching and pushing the lever 2/3/4 times only gets the one downshift. It's like the mechanism isn't jumping back to allow the next change down. I then have to release/clutch to get the rest. Not smooth.

As I say, I'm new to the slipper clutch. It clicks/grabs in the lever when I shift down (can feel it through the lever). So I don't know if this is normal or not.

Had a similar problem on the Buell when it was new changing up from 2nd - 3rd. If I flicked the lever up before the next change it would shift o.k. Otherwise it would jam momentarily before changing. But that's on a 2003 model, straight cut Sportster box. Eventually wore itself in at about 30000k.

As I said the bike has 5000k on it. I am going to service it shortly and will try this Amsoil a few are raving about. Don't think there is any major problem but it is definitely not race ready or a canyon carver, as our American mates say, in it's present state of operation.

Cheers

Deano
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 12:43 AM

New Site Garage
Okay
Going out on a limb here, I have to say even watching the WSBK guys downshift, they use the clutch during each downshift. That aside, I know I do.
As far as the slipper clutch goes, yes it is normal for it to make that "click" everytime you pull it.
Have you tried bleeding the clutch to see if it improves ?
And yes oil could make a difference.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Donsy,

Thanks for that. I've done some racing in the past myself, both track legal and normal shit. Don't think about how too much, just do it. Just not changing down smooth just now. Hoping an oil change and a few more miles will improve matters. I'll try the bleed too.

Cheers

Deano
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 04:34 AM

Have you checked if the clutch lever is correctly adjusted?
Make sure the clutch is fully engaged when you press the clutch lever.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Established Member

intresting to see how other people down shift.i always clutch and blip the thottle on down shifts even on track with clutchless/quickshifter up shifts,and always one gear at a time.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 08:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs down not down shifting?

Deano;
there are no adjustments
it sounds like there is a problem with spring #35, p# 800072826 or spring #25, p# 800071009

page G11 of the parts book

since its only down shifting i vote #25 or the paddle it pushes #23, p#800071007

if you open it up watch #26 the shoulder goes TOWARD the transmission......somebody posted up about putting it in backwards

everytime you push the lever a full stroke it should go up or down a gear......if it doesn't there is something wrong

me, I don't use the clutch up or down even on the agricultural transmission on my BMW
just for launch and making sure it goes into neutral

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 09:19 PM

New Site Garage
Post Yup

Noel is right Dean, if new oil and a clutch bleed does not do the trick then a g/box inspection might be in order.
I did however find with my OEM mastercylinder that bleeding it frequently made a big difference and gearbox felt great. If your peddling pretty rapid I would start leaning towards a RCS16 M/C, gives you some more options.
Hope this helps, keep us posted, always good to get feedback.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode