M.V. battery - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
M.V. battery

G'Day,

Well stone me! Just got back on the road after my rear hub incident. Gave the bike a good wash and went for a couple of short rides to check everything out as detailed in my last post. Had noticed a couple of black streaks on the swing arm that I took to be burnt on oil from when the hub shit itself.

Anyway when I was checking it all out I noticed more spots all over the same area. Scrubbed away with degreaser, polish, brasso etc. and they wouldn't move, just took the paint off.

Thought it was an odd spot for chain lube to flick to and what the fuck was in the lube anyway. Looked up to find a small hole in the edge of the battery container underneath the seat. Poked it with my finger and the hole got bigger. Yep, it was battery acid doing the damage.

The battery had been leaking through the seam where the top joins the body. Supposedly a gel battery? Bloke I bought it from had not long put it in as the original died from lack of use.

So beware this brand of battery. Also beware that if a battery does leak (and the battery place says it doesn't happen with gel (?)) then the plastic tray is no protection. Bubbled away merrily when I neutralized it with bi-carb.

So another thing I can be paranoid about. I've sealed the new battery around the seam with silicon and to make extra sure will make a sealed stainless steel tray for the battery to sit in.

Paint code is 'C' according to the plate on the frame. Anyone know where I can get touch up paint for the swing arm?

Cheers

Deano
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 01:51 AM

Hey Deano.

I had this happen to me twice.

Once with my Brute 750S back in 2005. Swingarm was replaced under warranty by the then importer Paul Feeney, though I had to ship the bike from Sydney to the Gold Coast at my expense.

And again two months ago on my 910R after a new gel battery had been fitted at service time. It took a while but the battery manufacturer eventually accepted liability, after the faulty thing had been sent to the factory via the local rep and importer. In the end I had the swingarm pulled out, resprayed and refitted at no cost to me. The boys at Motorcycle Weaponry did all the work and chasing for me. I only just got the bike back three weeks ago. The damage was bad but not as extensive as that in your pix.

Unfortunately I don't think you can touch this up. You probably need to have the whole swingarm resprayed. Acid and magnesium don't mix very well.

Cheers mate.

Michel

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 02:30 AM

New Site Garage
Post Bugger Dean

You just keep hitting the jackpot mate, so sorry to hear, so I gather you had the alternator repaired, did you check to see if it's charging correctly and not cooking your battery.
I would have replaced the battery with a new non lead-acid style battery like a Shorai LiFe

http://motowheels.com/c-239642-batte...-chargers.html

or a Ballistic job

http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore...idproduct=1249

I think it's really worth looking into the new battery battery technology, there are a few guys on the forum already running these with great success.

BTW, the swing-arm is Alluminium alloy not Magnesium.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
You just keep hitting the jackpot mate, so sorry to hear, so I gather you had the alternator repaired, did you check to see if it's charging correctly and not cooking your battery.
I would have replaced the battery with a new non lead-acid style battery like a Shorai LiFe

http://motowheels.com/c-239642-batte...-chargers.html

or a Ballistic job

http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore...idproduct=1249

I think it's really worth looking into the new battery battery technology, there are a few guys on the forum already running these with great success.

Donsy,

Yeah, must have kicked a Chinaman (apologies to our Asian cousins). Checked the output at 14.7 volts which seems to be about right (I hope). First thing I did as I cooked a zillion batteries on my Sportster over the years. Harley had trouble working out what a regulator was 'sposed to do. About the same as their concept of brakes.

I will definitely investigate these batteries you mention.

Thanks mate.

Cheers

Deano
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Right, Donsy. Still does mix well with acid
Cheers mate.
m
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 03:54 AM

I don't know if this will help but this guy sells touch up paint for MV's and others.
http://stores.ebay.com/BIKECOLOURS/M...=p4634.c0.m322
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Twizel,

Thanks man, it's a start.

Deano
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 05:57 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Deano,I cant believe your bad luck,did you run over a Black Cat,you said you Kicked a Chinaman,look at that brand of battery.God you must have the shits.Hope you either go for Shorai (like Donsy suggested) or Yuasa at least,mate I feel for you after I said after the hub incounter,all will be good,let us know how you go.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Established Member

What a heartbreaker... Makes my decision to go with Shorai in the MV and Duc seem like an even better decision.

I hope that mess gets sorted!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
A properly serviced (and manufactured!!!) AGM (absorbed glass mat....not really gel) battery will not leak acid. There should be no loose fluid in the case.....however!! if the battery is overfilled, or is charged initially with the wrong type charger (high amperage) then the plates can not absorb all the acid. The fact the case separated is a clear indication this battery was defectively manufactured....I'd try and get the company that sold it to pay. Battery acid does make a mess, doesn't it? But should not have damaged the plastic!!!! What the hell kind of acid did those Chinese use?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode