M.V. Hub - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
M.V. Hub

G'Day,

Further to a previous post on this subject I'm on the road again. Got to give Andre and the Boys at Star Twin Trading a big thank you for getting me back on board quickly.

As far as internet trades go this is one of the best. As far as trading with bike shops it's brilliant. Not often I've been able to say that about a bike shop and I've been riding for 40 years! Competitive pricing but most of all brilliant communication with no bullshit.

On that note a couple of dealers (official) in Oz wanted between $1200 - $2000 dollars for the hub alone, never mind all the other parts I needed. Big debate raging here at the moment fueled by retailers about taxing internet transactions. With gouging like that why are they surprised? Even if they did tax I'd still shop elsewhere. Time they got on board like the rest of the world.

Thanks to all who replied to my original post with either info. or sympathy. Thanks to Mitch and The Knurl re Mitch's Hub. I would have gone down this road if my axle hadn't been stuffed. Got out of it for under $1000Au which I couldn't have been done having to buy a Mitch's Hub plus axle.

Paranoid now about the bloody thing. Took it for a test ride to do a bit of Christmas shopping. About 10k in traffic at 60k/h. Felt the hub when I parked and fuck me it felt hot, Shit myself! Had I done something wrong? Seemed a lot cooler when I remounted about 20 mins later. Took it straight home and rechecked torques. Have 200Nm on sprocket nut, 180Nm on wheel nut and 28Nm on pinch bolts which were my first concern. I read on the forum somewhere the hub should be 60-70 degrees C.

Hard to judge here in Townsville at the moment. Hot enough to boil a monkey's bum! 36C in the shade and 90% humidity. Road temperature must be in 40 - 50's.

Regardless I don't think the hub is up to sustained riding. Here in Oz you have to do a lot of miles to get somewhere. 800k (500m) days are pretty normal if you're going between centres. I don't reckon the hub is robust enough for that. Had a Sportster seize a rear bearing in Dubbo years ago. But that was after 5 weeks and 15000k loaded down like a camel.

So I will repair what's left of my original hub or buy a second hand one as an emergency measure to get me out of the shit on my next big trip. Shouldn't need to be that way.

Excuse my dribble.

Deano

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 02:44 AM

I'm no engineer but hot around the hub are for me = friction in the bearings...Be careful..

joe
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 02:48 AM

If in doubt pull it back out and check it. A lot better than another failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 02:57 AM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS

The rear hub does get rather hot to the touch under normal operating conditions, but if your in doubt, then double check your previous work..

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 03:00 AM
Sorry to jump on the bandwagon, but I have a OE hub assembly surplus to requirements as I now have a Mitch hub for my F4. I'll be putting it on ebay early next year if I have no takers before then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 03:20 AM
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by twizel View Post
If in doubt pull it back out and check it. A lot better than another failure.
That's what Yvonne told me to do as well

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 03:26 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Deano,all the hubs get hot mate,you have the rear brake there,chain and sprocket generating heat,axle and bearings spinning and all put together,yes the hub will get hot,also where you live is very humid so the whole bike takes along time to cool.Just check your chain is not too tight,other than that you should be OK.I must ask why did you need an axle? And did the bike shop pay for everything.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Mitch,

When the hub shit itself I was 1000k into a 1400k ride from Brisbane to Townsville. Travelling hard and fast. Weather hot. Reckon road conditions were High 40's. Major damage. I have a lathe and had to machine outer bearing sleeves/spacers off. Axle was grooved under bearing surface both sides. definitely fracture points.

I'm a fitter and turner by trade and it'll be a cold day in hell when I let a bike shop touch my bike.

Cheers

Deano
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 04:10 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Deano wow,sounds like the hub was soo hot,every part decided to weld together.Didnt you say the sprocket nut was loose when the failure happened,because that may have had something to do with the failure.Did you contact the bike shop where you bought the bike,what was there response.Sorry about all the questions mate,just interested,that's all.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 05:22 AM

New Site Garage
Question hmm

So did you buy another OEM old style hub Dean, or did you get the new upgraded version with the new axle. There should be no problem with that compared to the old hub at least. You never told us what happened with the loose sprocket nut etc ?
http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43171

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 12-14-2011 at 05:28 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode