Warranty - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Warranty

I know its silly to be mad about this. Its Italian, its high performance and the company has had "issues" but they built the bike... it is supposed to hold together for a little bit.

Here's the scoop: I take the bike out to the hill country to beat it up for a few days. There are a couple of loose bolt here and there but I just tighten them up a keep rolling (bear in mind that it was just in for it's first service). I get home, drop the kickstand and the bike almost falls over. At first I thought the kickstand folded but actually the lower bolt (the main load bearing bolt) had fallen out. When the bike fell over it tore out the upper two bolt and heavily damaged the support device (basically the oil pan). Local dealer said MV will pay for the missing bolts but the oil pan in on me because I rethreaded it for a bigger bolt (I did that so that it would last until I got the bike back from vacation).

I have the time and the money to get ugly about this but it's not worth the energy. It's just pisses me off that they trying to screw a customer to make $300 on a $25 oil pan. Honda wouldn't do that but Honda woulda made sure the bolt was tight too.

I'm Just Say'n !?!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 09:17 PM

Yep same thing happened to the side stand bolt on my 1078. Fortunately, I noticed the bike leaning over further than usual and tightened it up before it fell out.

Sorry to hear your troubles though, and agree such problems shoul not happen in the first place.

Dave

Stuck on a rock off the coast of France
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I don't think the dealer is presenting your case to MV USA properly. Maybe you should go to them yourself.....of course, they should have checked those fasteners as part of the first service. Unfortunately, as many people suspect, the techs at the dealers just change the oil and do not actually do a proper service (that you are paying for). So in reality, the dealer should be stepping up and repairing your bike for his tech's negligence.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 AM

I am beyond pissed off! I forgot what my bike looks like or sounds like... I think I forgot how to ride it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Well I got the bike back today. They agreed to do an 80/20 split on parts and labor. You can guess who had to pick up the 80%. The owner a this shop is a dick and I have spoken to two other local MV owners who have had similar experiences with the owner. We all agreed the his employees are good people that you like to work with. Anyway, shop guy had to ask the owner what to do and consequently I got stuck with the 80%.

There is one more gripe I'd like to air out tho, when I originally got the bike (used with 190 miles on it) it had to much oil, I measurable removed about 8oz. I told the shop manager about this when I took it in for it's 600 mile service. After the 600 mile service, it was overfull by about a 8oz again. I relayed my frustration to the service manager and told him to look into his quality control (as if). Then when I ran into the problem with the kickstand and subsequent oil pan replacement... guess what? Overfull by 8oz again... I had to ask them if I was measuring the fucking thing wrong... "Do you leave it on the kickstand or are you guys really trying fuck this motor up?"

Okay so I'm done with my rant about BMW Motorcycles of North Dallas, aka European Cycle Sports (which is what I'm sure they tell MV Augsta they call their shop).

My solution: Originally I was going to do the very American thing and simply sue them over $300. My attorneys are free, or actually on retainer for other maters. The law suit would cost me nothing and cause them unending frustration (which of course would be the goal). However, now I think I may just look into opening up a motorcycle shop in Frisco, which is a prime market for MV Agusta and within a few miles of the other cycle shop in question. Of course I would want to offer other brands, I'm thinking BMW, Aprilla, Triumph & Ducati. Maybe not Ducati, as I like the owner of the Ducati dealership in Dallas.

Anybody know what MV asks for to become a dealer?

I'm Just Say'n !?!?

Last edited by Fubar75207; 12-10-2011 at 06:06 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 10:30 PM

Fbr

Bummer, I hope your issues get resolved. The kickstand is a known issue documented on this forum. I read your original post and I want to make sure I am understanding it correctly. It appears the bike almost fell over after the first service. Then you modified the bolt (?), then it fell over. Just a few of questions so we can help.

1) Who did you buy the bike from (individual or shop)?
2) When the bike almost tipped following the first service due to the kickstand, did you immediately contact the shop?
3) If so, what was their response?
4) How soon after the incident (near tip over) did you modify the bike?
5) How soon after you made the modification, did the bike fall over?
6) Was the bike still under the original factory warranty?
7) How are you calculating the 8oz? By this I mean is the bike on the rear stand, warmed up, cold...?

And now for some humor. Suing is not "American", threatening to sue is the "American" thing.

Last edited by LiquidWhy; 12-10-2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: additional notes
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:00 PM

Fubar, Metric in Houston is a very good place for work. I do most of my own, but one time I let Metric do some work, very satisfied. I am about 1 hr south of Dallas, we need to make a ride one day. Oh, I was wondering about said dealership, not good.

07 Brutale' 910R Arrow Thunder, PCIII,Ferracci chip, CRG mirrors,levers. Scotts, Motovation sliders.
O6 Yamaha FZ1

Last edited by V10KLZZ71S; 12-13-2011 at 07:02 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidWhy View Post
Bummer, I hope your issues get resolved. The kickstand is a known issue documented on this forum. I read your original post and I want to make sure I am understanding it correctly. It appears the bike almost fell over after the first service. Then you modified the bolt (?), then it fell over. Just a few of questions so we can help.

2) When the bike almost tipped following the first service due to the kickstand, did you immediately contact the shop?
7) How are you calculating the 8oz? By this I mean is the bike on the rear stand, warmed up, cold...?

And now for some humor. Suing is not "American", threatening to sue is the "American" thing.
Sorry for the late reply to this question. I should have subscribed to my own thread I flunked out of interwebz 101. The problem has been resolved in so far as, I paid them to fix a warranty item and now I don't spend money there. If I am wrong on this, I'd love to hear it, it would be insanely convenient to use that dealership. To answer your questions:
1) I bought the bike from a 3rd party vendor with 97 miles on it. He provided the invoice from this dealership for the original purchase and install of the Cannonball Kit. $32,000 +/- $100
2) It was Sunday, so I modified the bike to stay upright. I initially contacted the person who sold me the bike and asked if they had done any service on the bike. The owner of that shop if a friend of 20+ years. They simply purchased it from original owner and put it on the showroom floor. I contacted the MV dealership as right after that.
3) They simply told me to bring the bike in. They would have to look at it. I can respect that answer.
4) By modify, I assume you are referring to the screws I put in to hold the bike aloft; about 30 minutes after it broke.
5) If you are referring to the Cannonball Kit, this would be about 700 miles after install. I think this was about 150-250 miles after the service 1st service that the MV shop preformed. I "modified" the the kickstand after it broke to make it stay on until I could get it to the shop.
6) Yes... most definitely, otherwise I would't expect them o do anything.
7) The bike is on it's wheels, held upright by hand while the oil window in inspected. The bike sat for several hours before I performed the inspection. I obviously measured the amount of oil I removed. Should the bike be warm/hot when measured? Even in that case it was overfull but i did not remove or measure in that condition.

No sense dragging this out any further. I have said my piece. If company reps read this forum, then they will report back to the owner. Maybe he will adjust his policy. I like this employees at that shop very much. They respectful, and seem to genuinely want to help. The sales people are real biker and want you to be happy. The owner is cock sucking twat lick. I hope his hemorrhoids require surgery. And that's all I have to say about that.

Cheers

V10KL - let's ride baby. I love the bike, inspire of the deanship.

I'm Just Say'n !?!?

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:

Sorry for the late reply to this question. I should have subscribed to my own thread I flunked out of interwebz 101. The problem has been resolved in so far as, I paid them to fix a warranty item and now I don't spend money there. If I am wrong on this, I'd love to hear it, it would be insanely convenient to use that dealership. To answer your questions:
1) I bought the bike from a 3rd party vendor with 97 miles on it. He provided the invoice from this dealership for the original purchase and install of the Cannonball Kit. $32,000 +/- $100
2) It was Sunday, so I modified the bike to stay upright. I initially contacted the person who sold me the bike and asked if they had done any service on the bike. The owner of that shop if a friend of 20+ years. They simply purchased it from original owner and put it on the showroom floor. I contacted the MV dealership as right after that.
3) They simply told me to bring the bike in. They would have to look at it. I can respect that answer.
4) By modify, I assume you are referring to the screws I put in to hold the bike aloft; about 30 minutes after it broke.
5) If you are referring to the Cannonball Kit, this would be about 700 miles after install. I think this was about 150-250 miles after the service 1st service that the MV shop preformed. I "modified" the the kickstand after it broke to make it stay on until I could get it to the shop.
7) The bike is on it's wheels, held upright by hand while the oil window in inspected. The bike sat for several hours before I performed the inspection. I obviously measured the amount of oil I removed. Should the bike be warm/hot when measured? Even in that case it was overfull but i did not remove or measure in that condition.

No sense dragging this out any further. I have said my piece. If company reps read this forum, then they will report back to the owner. Maybe he will adjust his policy. I like this employees at that shop very much. They respectful, and seem to genuinely want to help. The sales people are real biker and want you to be happy. The owner is cock sucking twat lick. I hope his hemorrhoids require surgery. And that's all I have to say about that.

Cheers

I'm Just Say'n !?!?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:

Cheers

I'm Just Say'n !?!?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode