Brute Fuel Ecconomy??WTF - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Brute Fuel Ecconomy??WTF

Yesterday, I headed out on the commonly known road in Sydney called the old road on my way to the coast, and just half way through the bends through hawkesbury I had the gas light come up, amazed by this as I had only filled the tank the night before, I took it as being a little adventurous with the throttle and turned back to hit the gas station to fill her up. Starting again with a full tank from the start of the bends I eventually hit the road till we got to Terrigal beach on the central coast and with a couple of mates stopped for a drink and breather.
Then it was the ride home which was another 90Km, though just as I am about home which would have been 150km I had ridden since filling the tank, the gas light comes up again.
Is this correct, that a 750s Brute should be getting 150km to the tank?
I run the bike on 98ron and thought maybe the bike is running rich? Though I can not really smell a potent fuel smell.

Last edited by totobrutale; 11-19-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 08:25 PM

New Site Garage
Hi mate,
Normal spirited riding has me at about 190km with the fuel light coming on (3ltrs to go). Track days it's about 150-160km. They're not really fuel efficient....but I didn't buy it for its economy . Standard motorway haul sees the fuel light on around 210km - that's cruising at around 110kph.

I run 91 in mine, never misses a beat - I only run 98 in the Harley's.

Yours sounds like its running far too rich and definitely needs a look at.

Cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 09:39 PM

I get about 120 miles before my light comes on (1078rr). But that's on the highway at a steady speed and I fill the tank up pretty full when I get gas. If you are twisting the throttle pretty good then you have to expect less. I don't care much about fuel economy either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Established Member

Ya, the 1090 kinda sucks too. I'm not sure what the conversion is but it was getting about 20 mpg around town. Worst bike mpg ever... most fun ever.

I'm Just Say'n !?!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totobrutale View Post
Is this correct, that a 750s Brute should be getting 150km to the tank?
That's how they come from the factory..... Light on around 140 and a brave man that does more than 30km after that!

I ran mine dry after 160km not long after I got it, on the approches to the harbour bridge, just managed to dive of to the left and it stopped outside the Slip Inn.

I have a chip that can fix this for you and get you to 200-210 between fill ups.
post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:42 AM

get the bikes on a dyno,fix your air and fuel mixture,you might need to buy a pc3 or 5,but let me tell you it will pay for itself after about 10 to 15 rides,my 1078 was a guzzler until i did this.best of luck
cheers eddy
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypro View Post
get the bikes on a dyno,fix your air and fuel mixture,you might need to buy a pc3 or 5,but let me tell you it will pay for itself after about 10 to 15 rides,my 1078 was a guzzler until i did this.best of luck
cheers eddy
I have heard that it be better for I to get the the microtech ECU swap instead of the PC3, as with the microtech tune can get a bit more out of the bike than the PC3.

Is there are preferred tune that would be best suited, and where is best to get the PC3 in sydney? I am aware of Explosive Racing for microtech http://explosiveracing.com.au/index.php
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 05:50 AM

@Cruiser always run the highest ron you can get.
I read an article some time ago that the higher the ron the less fuel you use.

In general my brutale with corse system is on reserve after 130-140 km
My 350 gt from 1974 uses only 3.8 litres/ 100 km
post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greny View Post
@Cruiser always run the highest ron you can get.
I read an article some time ago that the higher the ron the less fuel you use.
Actually, the RON (or whatever octane rating you use) is just an indicator of resistance to preignition or detonation (knock). The higher the octane rating the slower the fuel burns.

Running a higher octane then the engine needs results in unburned fuel residue, eventually leading to deposits in the combustion chamber and valves.

Lower octane numbers burn faster. Getting complete combustion and maximum heat without detonation is what you are looking for, so running the lowest octane number you can without encountering detonation is the best way to go for maximum efficiency and power.

All this goes out the window if you are running formulated race fuel which includes additives specifically designed to create more heat without detonation than standard gasoline.

I run mid-grade (89 octane in the USA using the R+M/2 calculation). This is because MV recommends 90 octane, but our next level after 89 is typically 93 or higher. I'll buy the 91 if I see it, but have never had any problems with 89. I get about 30~32 mpg consistently with the MV Corse exhaust, BMC air cleaner and MV Corse ECU.

So the low fuel light comes on around 120~130 miles and there are about 4 liters left in the tank. I took a very leisurley ride once, with no serious acceleration and very little stopping and got 150 miles before the light came on. That 35 mpg....that's the best I have ever seen.

Of course, with hard flogging in the mountains or on the track I can get significantly less....like 25~28 !!!!

The older 16M ECUs fire injectors and coils in pairs, so there is a waste spark (and fuel squirt) on every stroke of the piston. This has a detrimental affect on fuel economy (and throttle smoothness) at lower rpms and throttle openings.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totobrutale View Post
I have heard that it be better for I to get the the microtech ECU swap instead of the PC3, as with the microtech tune can get a bit more out of the bike than the PC3.

Is there are preferred tune that would be best suited, and where is best to get the PC3 in sydney? I am aware of Explosive Racing for microtech http://explosiveracing.com.au/index.php
If you want a microtech send chris a pm from x- bikes he is the guru on it.or have look on this site plenty of info.Now if you want a pc3 also look around on this site or just google it for your model bike,then have it dyno tuned,or even better give trooper lu a phone call he knows these bikes backwards ,and will advise you on what you have to do,and also supply you and fit everything and do a dyno for you .maybe while your there he can sync your throttle bodies to.
cheers eddy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode