Suspension Sag Settings - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Suspension Sag Settings

Have become obsessed about setting the sag on my Brutale 1090RR and having read up on the internet i think i know what to do.

Can someone confirm what the value in mm should be front and rear between the suspension fully extended and then with myself sat on it .

Tried to set it last night but it seemed to want alot of pre-load adding , so questioned whether or not i fully understood what i was doing.

My weight at the moment is around 14 stone - 196lbs - 89 kg , that is without my gear on , could this be the reason for the extra pre-load required ?

Any advice welcome

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: txt New Text Document.txt (597 Bytes, 153 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:42 PM

New Site Garage
Post Hi Steve

I wonder where all these smart arse guys are when someone needs some real help.
I can't help you much as far as measurements go as by bike set-up is way different than most other peoples bike, I assume also you have the ride height measuring tool ?
What is the current reading of your rider sag ? ( In mm please as I have no idea what a stone is, too much sand over here )
Be aware also that when you adjust pre-load in the MV, which you do in order to change the sag reading, you will also affect the ride height.
Write all the measurements down before, during and after adjustments.

According to Andrew Trivett from the book "Sportbike Suspension Tuning", your rear rider sag for road use should me between 30-35mm on a modern motorcycle, and no less than 30mm in front for road use.
Hope this helps you. Tell us what you have and we might be able to help you some more.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1968 View Post
Have become obsessed about setting the sag on my Brutale 1090RR and having read up on the internet i think i know what to do.

Can someone confirm what the value in mm should be front and rear between the suspension fully extended and then with myself sat on it .

Tried to set it last night but it seemed to want alot of pre-load adding , so questioned whether or not i fully understood what i was doing.

My weight at the moment is around 14 stone - 196lbs - 89 kg , that is without my gear on , could this be the reason for the extra pre-load required ?

Any advice welcome

Steve
Hi steve this might help,http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42923
donsy is spot on. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I will go and take some more measurements .

I really just want to confirm that i should be looking at the difference between fully extended to rider sat on or bike static to rider sat on ?

Also once the sag is correct and more pre-load has been added and the ride height changed should i then adjust the ride height .
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I will go and take some more measurements .

I really just want to confirm that i should be looking at the difference between fully extended to rider sat on or bike static to rider sat on ?

Also once the sag is correct and more pre-load has been added and the ride height changed should i then adjust the ride height .
Hi steve,also I forgot a few things this will help you greatly,cheers eddy
do ride height first.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBlqVx4mWUw
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 01:35 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink suspension?

1st MV doesn't adjust their rear suspension like everybody else

down load the service manual here;
http://my.agusta.us/

you need a ride height tool, so you can talk the same dimensions

here are Ade and CAG going through the numbers;
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...ht=holy&page=2

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

In what way do MV set up suspension differently?

I do not have a ride height tool and all i seem to be doing at the moment is getting more confused .
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
In what way do MV set up suspension differently?

I do not have a ride height tool and all i seem to be doing at the moment is getting more confused .
Steve for road use go for 35mm rear sag,then adjust your rebound and compression to your liking,set the rear compression and rebound to minus then take the bike for a run use the same road,pull over and keep adjusting thes settings to your liking,there is no magic number for rebound and compression,if its kicking you off when you hit a bump just add more rebound the + way,if compression is to soft just + the compression.cheers eddy
ok please tell me if the video is not correct in adjusting the rear shock,and if so what is the correct way.I would love to know in plain english.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 04:50 PM

also steve set your hi speed compression setting to full minus then add 1 click,this setting is not for hi speed as you would think.trust me set it to 1 click,then stuff around with you low compression setting.you will get a smoother ride,you are not on a race track.I think?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 06:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink boingers?

Steve;
download the factory manual.....on my hard copy its page F-72
http://my.agusta.us/

then read it......MVs and Ducatis use a ride height tool to set ride height and sag......NOT doing it their way, affects the front end too

Eddy;
"if its kicking you off when you hit a bump just add more rebound the + way" WHAT? if you hit a bump......thats compression not rebound

if its 'kicking you off' on bumps you have;
too much compression
or too much spring/preload

now Steve is a big guy so he will need a heavier spring......
if he sets it the MV way he will get too much rider sag....MV doesn't even consider that go figure?

i like light springs with more preload......and very little damping, but thats me, i was the low speed test rider for F.W. Egli along time ago

i bought a set of Ohlins springs for my Aprilia RSVR, series #1091 160mm long......i'm going to go one size lighter on the rear, 7.5 N/mm stock was 10.5 N/mm (MVs use the same length spring)
the fronts are 0.85 kg/mm the lightest you can get

i will never sell the RSVR, its as stable and forgiving as anything i ever rode

i weight ~175 lbs w/o gear

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode