post wash problems. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

post wash problems.

I've been reading on the forum not to wash these bikes with high pressure water, and I swear I didn't. But I did use a hose to clean the Brutale. Big mistake. Now the digital dash and the tach don't work. The bike runs fine. The dummy lights on top all work as well as the indicators high beam, horn etc. What is also happening is when I hit the starter button while the bike is running*which should cycle the info on the dash* the starter engages...

did I just become a statistic?

can someone who used to wash their bike with water lead in the right direction. I've checked the fuses on the right side of the bike and they are all okay. Is there another dash fuse? The manual is not helping me right now.

thanks

74 Triumph Bonneville
06 Husqvarna Tc250
04 Mv Brutale 750

socal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Established Member

I use the hose all the time. Never had an issue.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 07:54 PM

Could be water in something/wiring loom - it might dry out - mine went silly once after a wash - came back alright!

MV Agusta 1000S 1+1 (2004); Suzuki GSXR 600 (2005); Honda CB750; Honda CB175; BSA 350 (1939) ;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 07:56 PM

Take off the plastic cover over the dash and hit all the wires and connections with WD40, then wipe it dry. See if that helps, you may have just gotten a connection wet. You might also want to check the fuse box and make sure its dry. I would pull every fuse one at a time put a little electric grease on them (you can get a small tube at the local auto parts store)and put them back in.

If that makes your problem go away you'll be fine. The real water issue is not the electric but the rear wheel bearings, you really don't want to get water into that area. I don't use water , just because its not worth the aggravation. You can achieve the same results with windex, wax, and cleaners and you dont need to dry it off.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Established Member

Windex has ammonia in it. I wouldn't recommend it for cleaning anything other then glass, it ruins paint and plastic.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:56 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoarch View Post
Windex has ammonia in it. I wouldn't recommend it for cleaning anything other then glass, it ruins paint and plastic.
and it ruins window tint too.....i had a window tint business

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

I have never washed any of my bikes with water - period. I guess it's easy for me as I don't rie in the rain & I have not (touch wood) been caught in the rain since September 1994 (almost died of hypothermia) - even last year travelling the south island New Zealand with Dave (The_castle) for 8-9 days we only encountered a couple of hours of slight drizzle & perfect weather outside that, I guess I am lucky Ok so what's my point? Gosh after that rambling I've forgotten.

Don't think I am going to put this post in my "greatest ever posts" portofolio

Oh yes, do what slammp suggests it is very sensible but don't use windex unless it's on glass - we have Mr Sheen here - it's a furniture household polish & it works a treat - about 25% of the cost of Motul cleaners like - Wax & Shine or Clean & Go.

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta

Last edited by MVista; 10-30-2011 at 09:05 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

update: Water got in the dash assembly and was creating problems. water bad. It's all better now. Thanks for the wd-40 tip. I never knew that the WD was for Water Displacement. I've known about not using high pressure washing for the sake of wheel bearings, and now hub bearings aswell.
Thanks forum, you saved me a trip to the stealership.

74 Triumph Bonneville
06 Husqvarna Tc250
04 Mv Brutale 750

socal
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 02:45 AM

no water for me
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 02:48 AM

Me neither eddy - I take mine neat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode