questions on an 04 750 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

questions on an 04 750

Hi,

New here just had a few questions about the 750. I currently have an 06 daytona 675. I put it up for sale or trade for a sv650+cash as i wanted something a bit more comfortable like my street triple used to be. But I have had someone offer a trade up for a 04 750 with 23k miles on it and $500. It has all service records done at the same triumph dealership I go to for parts and anything i cant handle. It also has the rear hub replaced with a new f4 rear hub. Apparently the older ones where problematic.

My question to you is do you think this is a smart move if i want a dependable bike? I love the look of the brutale, second only to the ducati street fighter. But Im just worried about reliability. I put around 10k miles a year on my bikes. I tried doing a search here and via google about the reliability but other then the rear hub thing coming up didnt find much. How many worry free miles can i hope for? And I can do everything but valve checks, are the spark plugs and air filter easily accessible or a pain to get to?

I also have an offer to trade for an 08 naked sv650 with ohlins suspension upgrades and brake upgrades with cash thrown in as well. Bike only has 3k miles on it. The nice thing with the naked sv is I can throw a 2 piece clip on set on the forks and switch out to clip ons for a track day rather easily and still have comfort for every day riding.

My heart says brutale but my head says sv. So what are your guys opinions on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 03:51 AM

oh,thats a hard topic,I had the sv650 naked for 4 years 24000 miles on it and never once had a problem,did not take it for one service ,All I did was change the air filter,oil filter and oil,great bike very low maintance.now I also own a street triple,great bike smooth and again no issues.these 2 bikes are great around town,stopping and starting,both bikes on the corners fantastic.now my 1078 after fixing all the bugs you could not give me any amount of money to depart with it. If I where you ,take it for a ride,make sure you check out the snatchy throttle, as this will piss you off in traffic at low speed,the seat is another issue ,not as comfy as the street or sv650,the ride on both these bikes is soft,and i do not know what the rear shock is on the 750,you might have to change it,
mate I feel for you tuff call,all 3 bikes are totally different,but a lot better than the 675.
my heart is with the mv,and yes changing the plugs is a pain in the arse,you must get the correct tools,2 people to remove the tank,but I just take the risk with myself.

good luck cheers eddy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:06 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypro View Post
my heart is with the mv,and yes changing the plugs is a pain in the arse,you must get the correct tools,2 people to remove the tank,but I just take the risk with myself.

good luck cheers eddy

I do not see why there should be two people to lift the tank, I took it off several times without any problems.
Also changed spark plug, a standard set of tools is all you need.

When lifting the tank, but sometimes for no reason, after several years of use usually comes to break plastic "L" connectors on the fuel lines, immediately after the purchase invest a few $ in a metal version.

I've also changed the the oil pressure switch (2 min job) replacement part is about $ 10.

Out of a possible higher costs than the rear hub, with older models Brutale is 50-50% chance that you'll have to replace the SPU (search forum) part price of about 400 USD but you can replace it within 15 minutes.

And that's probably all about the 750 model.
I hope that I have been helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Established Member

Being an inline 4 the Brutale shouldn't give you any problems and they don't really have a history of issues other then the rear bearing. Your 675 (the street triple not Daytona) was a more refined and comfortable bike with better everyday readability. The 750 is an animal; its engaging in a way a smoother bike cant be and so beautiful. I would take the Brutale any day over ST3 but would not pretend its some how a better overall bike in terms of everyday liveablity. As far as track day stuff, Ive done track days on the Brutale and have a blast on it without clip-ons.

As for the SV... meh just keep the Daytona take the fairings off and change out the triple clamp and put a handlebar on it. I would not trade a Daytona for an SV, seems like I big step back to me.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

So there is no problem with the new f4 rear hub? Or will i have to worry about this one going as well? And its a lot of work to turn a daytona into a street fighter. Its a mess under those fairings. Not a project Im willing to put the time in. Was also just thinking get the sv and turn it into a track bike eventually and pick up a street triple r maybe end of next year. I miss my striple every day. Was an amazing bike. But i am looking forward to testing out the brutale this saturday.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 02:49 PM

New Site Garage
Put a little over 10000 miles on my '05 750 mostly urban commuting, week-end twisties and even one 866-mile 3 day trip in the Sierra Nevada. Zero mechanical issues and no need for any valve adjustment so far and no hub issue either. I did have to change the SPU and there's the need to plug it to a trickle charger the night before you plan on using it if it hasn't run in 3 weeks or more, that's it.
As much as I am longing for a 1090RR, I am still very much in the middle of a 3 year long honey moon with my Brutale. It has some flaws but unreliability hasn't been one and it's still a gorgeous bike and a total hoot to ride (especially in the happy zone past 6000 rpm). Listen to your heart!

Last edited by pierre.poilane; 10-28-2011 at 01:21 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 03:43 PM

The main problem with the rear hub is caused by over-tightening the chain. Run it a bit slack rather than tight and you'll most likely be fine.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:21 PM

I do not see why there should be two people to lift the tank, I took it off several times without any problems.
Yes, you are experienced now,let a first timer try it,not easy the first time you do it,I would recommend 2 people the first time,but hey its not my tank that will end up on the concrete
cheers eddy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 06:16 PM

New Site Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatureCore View Post
So there is no problem with the new f4 rear hub? Or will i have to worry about this one going as well? And its a lot of work to turn a daytona into a street fighter. Its a mess under those fairings. Not a project Im willing to put the time in. Was also just thinking get the sv and turn it into a track bike eventually and pick up a street triple r maybe end of next year. I miss my striple every day. Was an amazing bike. But i am looking forward to testing out the brutale this saturday.
You should not have a problem with the new hub, just follow the service schedule.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 12:16 AM

Buy the MV!

The problem I have is getting parts, since I assume you are in the US that shouldn't be so much of an issue and there is always CAG who has so far been able to supply everything I've needed quicker than my local dealers here in Australia.

I've get 63000km on my 04 Brutale and they seem to be pretty reliable if you follow the service schedules/routine maintenance properly. I've had to replace the 'black box' twice but the newer updated model is trouble free as far as I know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode