Has anyone done the 520 conversion and what is the oil level in the forks? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone done the 520 conversion and what is the oil level in the forks?

Just as the topic says, Have you done it and where did you buy your sprokets from? Best available?

Also, I have the 1078, has anyone tried different teeth count and gotten better performance?

What should the oil level be in the 50mm Marzocchi forks? My fork seal has been leaking and I am getting them changed out. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Established Member

I have a 520 on my '04 750. I didnt do the conversion myselfs so I cant really tell you anything about it sorry.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 06:47 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchaplin4 View Post
Just as the topic says, Have you done it and where did you buy your sprocket's from? Best available?

Also, I have the 1078, has anyone tried different teeth count and gotten better performance?

What should the oil level be in the 50mm Marzocchi forks? My fork seal has been leaking and I am getting them changed out. Thanks.
I run 520 on my F4 without any problems, same sprockets as your bike. I got mine from Al at Design Corse as well as the chain. I use Talon Sprockets and RK chain which are available pretty much from any of the site sponsors. Make sure you have a decent chain joining tool as you will be fiddling with chain lengths if you are going to change ratio's.
When you say you want more performance, what do you mean ? The feeling of more power - ie even quicker revving. Or lower revving better fuel economy - more top speed ? Leave the the steel front sprocket at the same size (15th I think) when you change to 520 pitch, but at the back - bigger will make it stand up on the back wheel even quicker - smaller will give you lower revs. I think you run a 42 or 43 on the back already and that is pretty insane on the 1078 I thought.

As far as the forks go, can't help you there as I have been asking for someone with a workshop manual to post it up for us for month's with no help forthcoming. You might have to ask a dealer for help there. If push comes to shove, I would measure the oil in the non leaking fork get an idea and go from there. Or download the manual for the F4 1078 RR and maybe someone can tell us if the fork oil levels are the same - http://my.agusta.us/

Good luck mate.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

I'm 15/41, don't need it to stand up any quicker than it already does, is already insane. Yeah we were gonna measure the non leaking fork and go from there. Motovation was put on the project, the only place that had 520 this for the bike is Drive Systems USA $89.95 for rear, $38.95 for front. With the EK Triple Z Gold chain.

I ride hard and fast, some track days, mostly 3-4 hr stretches through the curviest roads I can find, don't care about fuel economy, (I mean really? If that was a concern, would we have these bikes. )
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 01:02 AM

New Site Garage
Question

Quote:
I'm 15/41, don't need it to stand up any quicker than it already does, is already insane. Yeah we were gonna measure the non leaking fork and go from there. Motovation was put on the project, the only place that had 520 this for the bike is Drive Systems USA $89.95 for rear, $38.95 for front. With the EK Triple Z Gold chain.

I ride hard and fast, some track days, mostly 3-4 hr stretches through the curviest roads I can find, don't care about fuel economy, (I mean really? If that was a concern, would we have these bikes. )
Well what did you mean then, when you said you wanted more performance,that is all you can achieve with changing sprockets. http://www.designcorse.co.uk/Mv_Agus..._Rear_Sprocket

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

I'm making it a street legal version of the Challenge Brutales. Just trying to get as much performance as I can out of it. Acceleration, less weight, faster shifting. TI Exhaust on the way, PC V, and a quick shifter to come. I'm doing the Schwann's Racing school next summer over here and track days.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoarch View Post
I have a 520 on my '04 750. I didnt do the conversion myselfs so I cant really tell you anything about it sorry.
750 model has factory installed 520 chain, while the rear sprocket change complete with carrier (unfortunately) much more expensive than the 525 on stronger models MV-A.

On my 750 I've changed only the front sprocket from 14 to 15 teeth because when fully open titanium exhaust, different EPROM and air filter are combined, 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear is all too often ended up with a wheelie
It has also improved fuel consumption.

For the calculation I used http://www.gearingcommander.com as on previous bikes because they have a good database and the possibility of manually entering parameters.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 10:02 PM

New Site Garage
Post Okay

Quote:
I'm making it a street legal version of the Challenge Brutales. Just trying to get as much performance as I can out of it. Acceleration, less weight, faster shifting. TI Exhaust on the way, PC V, and a quick shifter to come. I'm doing the Schwann's Racing school next summer over here and track days.
I would go to a 42 or 43 rear but stay with the 15 front (new 520 pitch of coarse). Would not worry about PC but get a Microtec ECU instead, much smoother operation with a quickshifter too.
You already have the later version of the sprocket carrier so you don't need any other than chain and sprockets.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 11:53 PM

I'd like to add that a 520 RKxring chain and aluminum Sprockets from EvolutionBike were about 3.5 lbs lighter than the Stock Chain and Sprockets on my Y10 F4.

I'm Hopeing to get Fatty down to about 410 lbs. But, like a beautiful stripper, I'll have to keep throwing money at her to make it happen, of she just sits there looking extremely sexy.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 09:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up Marzocchi manual?

Marzocchi service manual;
its in my UK Forum sticky #15, go down to #9

http://www.mvagustauk.net/forum/show...urces-and-tips

or go here;
http://www.martinpoll.dk/div_april.htm and down to #9

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode