So far so good!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

So far so good!!

I've put about 1200 miles on my 1078RR now. I've been riding it about 3 weeks so my wife and I have been doing regular little trips on it. The previous owner did a great job of getting the bike properly set up. The fueling is great and it drives wonderfully. I am probably going to change the suspension settings a little, though. The suspension is great for just me but I do most of my riding 2-up. Any suggestions as to what I might want to change to account for a passenger?

Also, I am going to have to buy tires soon. I'm thinking I should buy an axle socket to take to a local shop since they aren't likely to have one. Is that correct? I was thinking of getting this one:

http://www.e-securedsite.com/gutsyperformance/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=40%7CMV%20Agusta%2 0Store&productID=366&showDetail=1&categoryID=324|M V%20Agusta%20Tools&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=& collection=40%7CMV%20Agusta%20Store

Also, today I was cleaning the bike and noticed that my water pump seal seems to have been weeping some coolant. Where can I buy the replacement seal?

And finally, where can I buy the metal fuel connectors to replace the plastic ones that I read are prone to cracking?

Oh yeah, another thing! I bought the Motovation frame sliders that look like roller skate wheels but the inserts that go into the frame don't fit my bike. The sliders say they are for "750/910 S/R All Years" - does the 1078rr have differences in the frame or should they fit?

Sorry for all the questions!

Last edited by oldbutspry; 10-23-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 10:10 PM

New Site Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbutspry View Post
I've put about 1200 miles on my 1078RR now. I've been riding it about 3 weeks so my wife and I have been doing regular little trips on it. The previous owner did a great job of getting the bike properly set up. The fueling is great and it drives wonderfully. I am probably going to change the suspension settings a little, though. The suspension is great for just me but I do most of my riding 2-up. Any suggestions as to what I might want to change to account for a passenger?

Also, I am going to have to buy tires soon. I'm thinking I should buy an axle socket to take to a local shop since they aren't likely to have one. Is that correct? I was thinking of getting this one:

http://www.e-securedsite.com/gutsype...Agusta%20Store

That will do just fine mate

Also, today I was cleaning the bike and noticed that my water pump seal seems to have been weeping some coolant. Where can I buy the replacement seal?

These guys can help you with seals http://store.proitalia.com/mv_agusta_oem_parts.php

And finally, where can I buy the metal fuel connectors to replace the plastic ones that I read are prone to cracking?

Send this guy a PM (Personel message) http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/member.php?u=3135

Oh yeah, another thing! I bought the Motovation frame sliders that look like roller skate wheels but the inserts that go into the frame don't fit my bike. The sliders say they are for "750/910 S/R All Years" - does the 1078rr have differences in the frame or should they fit?

Sorry for all the questions!
Hope this helps mate, add some pics of those sliders, I would have thought they should fit.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Are you sure it's the seal and not the header overflow ? It's not uncommon for the header to barf a bit of coolant once in a while and the pipe on mine (a 750 so I could be barking up the wrong tree) it right next to the water pump...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:46 PM

I'm having the same issues with my 1078RR. I assumed it had sat around without being ridden, but maybe the coolant/water pump issues are more common than anticipated?
What else should I look for while the shop still has it?

If you love something set it free, if it comes back you've just high sided!
"Get on the fire engine!"

09 Brutale 1078RR

19 Ducati V4 Panigale
11 Kwak Ninja 1000
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunyJuney View Post
I'm having the same issues with my 1078RR. I assumed it had sat around without being ridden, but maybe the coolant/water pump issues are more common than anticipated?

I once in a while have this same issue. it seems to be an uncommon thing. Once-in-a-while it decides to weep, usually it doesn't. When I change the coolant this winter I'll change that seal as well.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights, while subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere - Colin Chapman

2004 Brutale 750S
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Any suggestions as to what I might want to change to account for a passenger?
Yep........buy a different motorcycle that is better suited for two up riding.

I love my Brutie, but not in any kind of two up fashion. Riding two up on a Brutie is kinda like asking Jerry Rice to play offensive tackle for the 49ers. He'd give it his best...........but I don't think Joe Montana would have been very happy!

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsawkins View Post
Are you sure it's the seal and not the header overflow ? It's not uncommon for the header to barf a bit of coolant once in a while and the pipe on mine (a 750 so I could be barking up the wrong tree) it right next to the water pump...
I didn't realize the overflow was next to the water pump. Mine did belch a little coolant a while back - that's probably where the stains came from! I'll keep an eye on it.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
Yep........buy a different motorcycle that is better suited for two up riding.

I love my Brutie, but not in any kind of two up fashion. Riding two up on a Brutie is kinda like asking Jerry Rice to play offensive tackle for the 49ers. He'd give it his best...........but I don't think Joe Montana would have been very happy!
Hmm. What exactly is it that you don't think is suitable for 2-up driving? I would like to get a Corbin seat and maybe add some padding to the pillion but it's pretty good as-is. Are you thinking only Goldwings are suitable for passengers?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:22 PM

New Site Garage
Post Hi Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunyJuney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe07 View Post
I once in a while have this same issue. it seems to be an uncommon thing. Once-in-a-while it decides to weep, usually it doesn't. When I change the coolant this winter I'll change that seal as well.
It is not a "common problem", but it does come up now and again. Before you assume it's the waterpump seals, make sure it's not just the coolant overflow from the headertank.
This little black pipe sit's just behind the waterpump and get's people into thinking it's the waterpump "tell tale" hole that's weeping. If, especialy in the case of the Brutale's, you have a bit of coolant coming out the overflow hose, and not the pump, then chances are your coolant level was a bit on the high side. This is a very common thing for people, even dealers, to do. Do not fill the level higher than the LOW level and it should be fine, since Brutale's don't usualy have the F4 heating problems.
If it is the seals on the waterpump, then take it to the dealer for a quick seal replacement - or do it yourself, easy job and well documented under the maint section for water-impellar change I think.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Hmm. What exactly is it that you don't think is suitable for 2-up driving? ....... Are you thinking only Goldwings are suitable for passengers?
No, certainly not. Right now, I'm thinking my new Concours is at the top of the food chain for two up riding. I'm not one for 900lb. bikes.

Kidding aside, I love my Brutale, and I love my wife, but not together.

Just my opinion.....which matters not one bit. It's your money.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode