Re-Map - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Re-Map

OK guys, 1090rr now has 10,000 miles on the clock, only real issues have been a broken gear selector return spring and a broken dipped beam housing, the latter probably my fault for taking the front light off to re-locate the indicators and not putting the rubber washers back on right.

However, more recently I've been experiencing some trouble starting the bike up and I've had it cut out on me a couple of times after hard acceleration and braking, this coupled with a lot of popping and crackling on the over-run makes me think the fueling is out. Worth mentioning here that I have the full titanium MVCorse stubby exhaust fitted with a BMC fast flow air filter and sport ECU.

The easy option would be to complain to my local dealer, like others have done, and get them to fit a new ECU. But I still don't think that is going to cure my problem completely so I've decided to get it down to the guys at Hilltop motorcycles today, put it on their dyno and go for a full re-map. It will be interesting to see what kind of BHP this bike it putting out before and after and also to report back on wether or not it cures my problem.

Watch this space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:45 AM

They are able to remap the ecu? I thought that was not possible, and that about all they can do is reset the tps and balance the throttle bodies/check for error codes.
Hope I am wrong...would be nice to be able to tune/correct fuelling for local conditions.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhead1957 View Post
They are able to remap the ecu? I thought that was not possible, and that about all they can do is reset the tps and balance the throttle bodies/check for error codes.
Hope I am wrong...would be nice to be able to tune/correct fuelling for local conditions.
As above, you cannot remap the ecu - so if you can, then all the mechanics I have spoken to are all wrong. Please let us know and confirm for all of us !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 05:14 AM

I would like to know how,the only way is with a pc5 ?.keep us informed.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

OK
First run...
Fuelling all over the place, mostly running far too rich, peak power 119BHP at the back wheel.
Plugged in and Downloaded new firmware onto the ECU.
2nd run peak power 137BHP but still a bit erratic.
Fiddled about a bit on the computer.
3rd run 140BHP and smoother.
Fiddled about a bit more.
Last run 142BHP and smooth as you like.
Tested through the gears and didn't like what he saw, said the peak power band was too narrow.
Fiddled about on the computer some more and ran the test again.
Max power 142BHP Max Torque 135ft/lb and lengthened the power curve.

Rode the bike back in the freezing cold so couldn't really give it the beans but it felt like a different bike, smooth as you like and oodles of power right through the rev range.

If anyone is interested the guys called Jeff and he runs Hilltop Motorcycles, they're based in Earl Shilton next to Mallory park and they tune up the race bikes for a number of teams including Michael Rutter.

As soon as I can work out how I'll post up the maps.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flushman View Post
OK
First run...
Fuelling all over the place, mostly running far too rich, peak power 119BHP at the back wheel.
Plugged in and Downloaded new firmware onto the ECU.
2nd run peak power 137BHP but still a bit erratic.
Fiddled about a bit on the computer.
3rd run 140BHP and smoother.
Fiddled about a bit more.
Last run 142BHP and smooth as you like.
Tested through the gears and didn't like what he saw, said the peak power band was too narrow.
Fiddled about on the computer some more and ran the test again.
Max power 142BHP Max Torque 135ft/lb and lengthened the power curve.

Rode the bike back in the freezing cold so couldn't really give it the beans but it felt like a different bike, smooth as you like and oodles of power right through the rev range.

If anyone is interested the guys called Jeff and he runs Hilltop Motorcycles, they're based in Earl Shilton next to Mallory park and they tune up the race bikes for a number of teams including Michael Rutter.

As soon as I can work out how I'll post up the maps.
I call BS

numbers per MCN:
Horsepower (claimed):142.2 bhp @ 10,600 rpmTorque (claimed):85 ft/lb @ 8,000 rpm

where did you get +50 ft/lbs of torque. Even if you meant to claim 135Nm that would still be 99ft/lbs

Last edited by motoarch; 10-19-2011 at 01:20 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Dyno Runs

Here you go guys.

First run. You can see the Air / Fuel ratio is all over the place early on then way too rich. Didn't get a print out on this after the new firmware had been downloaded but saw it on the screen and it started lean up to 3000rpm them settled between 12.5 and 13.5 all the way up the rev range.
Attached Images

Last edited by flushman; 10-19-2011 at 02:12 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoarch View Post
I call BS

numbers per MCN:
Horsepower (claimed):142.2 bhp @ 10,600 rpmTorque (claimed):85 ft/lb @ 8,000 rpm

where did you get +50 ft/lbs of torque. Even if you meant to claim 135Nm that would still be 99ft/lbs
Motoarch
I'm just reporting back so the guys who are being told that the ECU cannot be remapped are better informed. An ECU is just a computer chip you can remap them all if you have the right software to crack the code.
I can only tell you what I saw happen and what I felt before and after. And, you don't seriously believe anything you read in MCN do you?

Last edited by flushman; 10-19-2011 at 02:28 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Established Member

Then check MVs own site were its listed as 115Nm. That works out to about 85ft/lbs. There is no way thats right not even close.

EDIT: look at your second pdf it shows 84.76. not sure what the 135 is about. Looks like your putting factory crank numbers down at the wheel. pretty impressive.

Last edited by motoarch; 10-19-2011 at 02:42 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoarch View Post
Then check MVs own site were its listed as 115Nm. That works out to about 85ft/lbs. There is no way thats right not even close.

EDIT: look at your second pdf it shows 84.76. not sure what the 135 is about. Looks like your putting factory crank numbers down at the wheel. pretty impressive.
I dont really understand the graphs that well so I just took the number from the last run through the gears (bottom right picture where it reads max torque 134.62) All these numbers are at the back wheel, where it matters as apposed to the figures the manufacturer likes to display which are always taken at the crank. The last 6th gear run shows max torque at 84.76 @ 7765 rpm thats probably where MCN get their numbers from and perhaps thats the one I should report.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode