Brutale 750 CDI Issue - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Brutale 750 CDI Issue

This is some information that was posted on the Yahoo group which I thought would be useful here as well...I searched on this forum, but I did not find another post about it, so I decided to start another discussion.

My Brutale was taken into the shop for a problem with the rear light (brake light worked, but taillight did not) and the battery was not charging. Because of a combination of it being August (when Italy is on vacation) and the fact that this is a problem part on the Brutale and was on back-order even at the factory, it took a rather long time to get this issue resolved.

I finally received my Brutale back from the shop a few weeks ago. It took about eight weeks before she was finally released from captivity. The good news is that almost all of it was covered by warranty; however, my battery was killed by the unit (CDI) and I had to pay for that as the battery is only under a 3 month warranty.

The lastest news is that MV is continuing their work with the manufacturer of the part (CDI) to get the issue resolved, but no progress has been made yet (as of two weeks ago when the chief mech at my shop went to a Cagiva USA training and asked some detailed questions on the issue). So, for now - in the US at least - MV will replace the part even if it is out of warranty. At least, they have done it at my shop a few times.

If you have a Brutale 750, just be careful and look for any odd electrical issues - these are usually a sign that the CDI is on its way out. I have heard that heat could be an issue, but no one from MV will confirm this. One sign that I know to look for is the left indicator flashing erratically...or the battery will not hold a charge...or the brake light will work but not the taillight. Those are all that I know of now.

If it helps at all, the part number is 800099123 for the replacement CDI.

Also, I have not heard or seen any reports of this being a problem on the 910.

Just a FYI...Hope it helps someone...

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 05:50 PM

Thanks Chris, hasn't happened yet so I'm touching wood. Very much appreciated.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Further...

Not a problem! I hope that it does not happen to anyone else...but, my shop alone has had at least 5 units in to fix this issue (maybe more as that is the number that were in and waiting while mine was in the shop plus one previous to August that was fixed and released). Considering how few of these beautiful machines are on the road in the Pacific Northwest of the US, that is a high number. At least one of the machines is on its third CDI now.

Also, I do now know that at least one 910 has had the issue.

So, good luck! I hope that mine is the last one with the problem ever...

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 07:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Never heard of this problem down under. I put on 20,000kms on my Brutale 750, no problems. I haven't heard of any other Brutales around here with that.

MVA Sydney
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

One member of the Yahoo group lives in Oz and had his replaced recently. You should head over and read some of the posts: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/MV-Agusta/

It is rather common, but I do not know how common...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 02:51 AM
Established Member

HI are you talking about the box with the fuses in. If so I have 4 in front of me as a selection from the dealer. This is after mine went wrong and it took 3 months to get another. I took mine to bits and can fix the no fuel pump problem. It is a long term current drain problem as some tracks burn off without blowing the fuse.
The local dealer has been told it is a UK only issue???? I would like to know if it is the same problem where else it is happening? He is a small dealer and has about 8 broken boxes in stock at the moment!

John
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic_1
This is some information that was posted on the Yahoo group which I thought would be useful here as well...I searched on this forum, but I did not find another post about it, so I decided to start another discussion.

My Brutale was taken into the shop for a problem with the rear light (brake light worked, but taillight did not) and the battery was not charging. Because of a combination of it being August (when Italy is on vacation) and the fact that this is a problem part on the Brutale and was on back-order even at the factory, it took a rather long time to get this issue resolved.

I finally received my Brutale back from the shop a few weeks ago. It took about eight weeks before she was finally released from captivity. The good news is that almost all of it was covered by warranty; however, my battery was killed by the unit (CDI) and I had to pay for that as the battery is only under a 3 month warranty.

The lastest news is that MV is continuing their work with the manufacturer of the part (CDI) to get the issue resolved, but no progress has been made yet (as of two weeks ago when the chief mech at my shop went to a Cagiva USA training and asked some detailed questions on the issue). So, for now - in the US at least - MV will replace the part even if it is out of warranty. At least, they have done it at my shop a few times.

If you have a Brutale 750, just be careful and look for any odd electrical issues - these are usually a sign that the CDI is on its way out. I have heard that heat could be an issue, but no one from MV will confirm this. One sign that I know to look for is the left indicator flashing erratically...or the battery will not hold a charge...or the brake light will work but not the taillight. Those are all that I know of now.

If it helps at all, the part number is 800099123 for the replacement CDI.

Also, I have not heard or seen any reports of this being a problem on the 910.

Just a FYI...Hope it helps someone...

Chris

Yikes!.... The last couple of days I noticed my high-beam indicator light on my 750-s flick on and off momentarily. This has happened twice (that I noticed) - hope that's not a sign of grief to come!.....
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 09:36 AM

HI Chris, I remember when we were first hearing about it on the forums and some of the Italians had to go through 3 or 4 units with no fix, seemed random that some would have one replacement and others 4! Glad to hear it's so far ok

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john348
I took mine to bits and can fix the no fuel pump problem. It is a long term current drain problem as some tracks burn off without blowing the fuse.
The local dealer has been told it is a UK only issue???? I would like to know if it is the same problem where else it is happening? He is a small dealer and has about 8 broken boxes in stock at the moment!

John

John, I don't want to speak for Chris but as far as I have heard this problem he's talking about has not had it's internals exposed as far as you have gone with yours. In their case I have only heard of lighting problems, never a fuel pump..and this is over a couple of years and quite a few people involved worldwide (the lighting problem usually manifests or starts with odd directional blinker behaviour or odd headlight issues).

Do you have photos we could perhaps compare to someone else with the problem? Maybe Chris could have a look at a faulty unit for photos from his dealer and contrast vs yours?

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idubbs
Yikes!.... The last couple of days I noticed my high-beam indicator light on my 750-s flick on and off momentarily. This has happened twice (that I noticed) - hope that's not a sign of grief to come!.....
Mine too!!! I have less than 1000miles(new 750) on and mine and it does the same thing. At first, I was not sure what was catching my eye. Then...I thought I was hitting the passing trigger. I have noticed it more often over the past few hundred miles....seems to often come on when the cooling fan does.
Hope it does not strand me!

You gotta be crazy, gotta have a real need....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode