MV Agusta Forum banner

The Complete Brutale 910 HID Installation with Pics!!!

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  cruiser 
#1 · (Edited)
I just installed HID kits on my Brutale 910S. Since I have searched on this forum for better instructions and found just a few but not as precise so I came up with my own instructions and took some time to take pics of it during the install. Hope this helps.

Instructions:

1. First, take off the housing. Your manual should show how to take it off. If you don't know how, you shouldn't own a Brutale or any motorcycles at all. :naughty:

2. Unscrew the housing. Ready your HID kits and lay it out. Take out the low beam bulbs. Pic shown here with bulbs already installed in the housing. You might want to put a piece of paper or any rubber on the bulb since those clips that holds the bulbs in place doesn't reach the HID bulbs to secure it into place unlike the original bulbs that came with it. You'll get the idea once you put the bulbs in.

3. Drill a hole on the back housing enough to put the plug from the ballast to the housing. U might want to buy a silicone glue or grommet to seal the hole once you inserted the wiring. Pic shown here with the silicone glue.

4. Plug in the black and red wire on the plug that was on the original low beam bulbs. It's a white plug with green and black wire on it. Green is positive so the red wire should be there. Put some electric tape on the plugs to help it stay in place. Plug in the rest of the wires. Sorry, no pics but you'll have an idea once you open it.

5. Before you put everything back, plug in the housing and turn on the Brutale to see if everything is working. Once the HID lights up then you can Screw everything back in place on the housing. Then tie the ballast on one of the cables on the back of the horn. Pls see pic for best location.

6. Screw back the housing in place and enjoy!!!!

I saw a lot of people here installing their ballast underneath the seat. Not sure why they would do that since these ballast are very small. You also don't need a relay for it. It's just a plug and play device. No need to complicate things. Anyways, I hope this helps!!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Sorry to awake such an old thread but it is the best howto I found this far.
Is it the 6000K you used? Was it for the beam?
I saw some at 10000K, so I am getting confused as to which one should be used for the beam light or the normal light.

EDIT: Ok, I will answer my own question. The H7 (6000K) is for the dip light. It isn't advised to change the beam light.

#5 · (Edited)
Just a few extra notes on this.

The first time I made the hole, as in the second picture from carval23, the wire between the rubber and the Xenon bulb were too short.
I had to make another hole higher as in this picture attached.

The spades, which connect in place of where the bulb was connecting, were a bit narrow on the kit.
I ordered "Male Spade Crimp Terminals 7.8mm Wiring Connectors" to replace them, which are the same width than on the OEM bulb.
The others fit but they are a bit small to my taste.

The hole I made in the headlight case was 22mm and fit the rubber that came with the HID Xenon kit. 24mm seems like it would have worked just as well.

Also, the kit I had came with another black box (not the ballast) with 23000 volts written on it. The ballast and, I assume, the transformer didn't fit behind the headlight. The kit came with extra wires to make everything longer between the headlight and these 2 components.
This was then long enough to fit under the tank.

Now, with all the headlight glass that fall off on the street, anyone of you had a spare headlight case, please let me know.
It is not urgent but it would be nice to redo this without having 2 holes when one only was sufficient (I filled the other one with hot glue).
I'll remove this last paragraph when I'll have sorted this one out.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
I went yesterday for a night ride. This light is awesome.
My new problem was the inner debate on the worth of putting the beam on and off because of cars coming from the opposite direction while I could see well enough with this one. Off course the beam lights more centrally, but the xenon is much brighter.
Switching back to the xenon makes it that you have one second of darkness before the xenon gets on.
It isn't a big problem in practice, just worth keeping in mind.
An added benefit I didn't initially thought off, is that cars move to let me pass as they now see me coming from behind much quicker.
Third best return on money spent so far on this bike, aside the compulsory change of the SPU, and crash mushrooms which saved my tank twice.
It completely changes the experience of riding at night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.