Is a Brutale what I'm really looking for? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Is a Brutale what I'm really looking for?

Hello, I'm looking to swap my Triumph Speed Triple and have always longed to own an MV. The question is tho, would it be right for me? I bought my Triumph before they became the very popular bike they are now but have always loved it and could never swap it for a run of the mill Jap naked. It would be a 2nd bike, a sunny day toy - but what is MV ownership really like these days ?? Has anyone done a similar bike swap like this and could give me advice? I suppose a big question also has to be which model would you all recommend bearing in mind I'm coming from a lovely, torquey 3 cylinder engine and ive never been a big 4 cylinder fan. Is there a good compromise in the current Brutale line up or should I hold off for the 675 triple cylinder Brutale? All advice greatfully accepted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Al-

i have made this exact trade within the last year. My 1050 triumph gave me 4.5 years of loyal service and 21k miles. Still, I am more than happy with the upgrade to a slightly older model 910S.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:16 AM
The Dude

Hi Speedtrip.

Speed3 is a great bike, I found it much easier to ride than my Brutale. I don't think torquiness is going to be too much of an issue, the brute's pull pretty well. Ride is a bit harsher. I don't think I'd wait for the 3 cylinder brute if i were you. Probably more interesting to have something a bit different, and really the comparison would be to the street3 rather than the speed3.

Really though, if you find a decent deal on a used brutale, if you find you don't like it, unloading it shouldn't lose too much....

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Established Member

Depends on what kind of riding you do. I traded my S3 this year for a 750 Brutale and am VERY happy about doing it.

The S3 was a better commuter and long hauler and 2 up bike but the Brutale even with the smaller displacement and lower torque is way more fun and gets way more attention everywhere I go. Im sure if I had gone with a 910 or bigger I would have the best of both worlds
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Established Member

I just made the switch from a 2010 Speed III to a 2011 1090RR & couldn't be more thrilled. Though I thoroughly enjoyed my Speed III it did not get my blood flowing like the Brutale does. As far as ride, the Brutale is a better fit & more comfortable for me (6'0", 200lbs). I know the last generation Brutales were a bit smaller & fueling was quite snappy, so I can see where folks would say the Speed III was a more comfortable ride in comparison. As far as I'm concerned you can't wrong wrong with either bike, but I'll take the Brutale.
Good luck with your decision.
Cheers,
Glenn
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Established Member

I've had my 1090 now for 18months and I've put 10,000 miles on the clock. I've only had a couple of issues...
The dipped beam bulb holder snapped off and I've had to glue it back on and the return spring on the gear lever snapped, both pretty minor problems. I've got a fuelling issue at the moment which is bugging me a little, every now and then the engine will cut out after hard acceleration and braking. I'm running the MV Corse Stubby sport exhaust and race ECU with a Fast flow air filter so I'm pretty sure I just need the fuelling tweaking a bit, I'll probably go down the power commander route over winter in order to sort things out.

I had made my mind up to sell the bike and change to something different, but after looking around, there is nothing that matches up to the fun and prestige this bike offers. Over the last few weeks I've test ridden a Z1000, a new RSV4 Tuono, a Speed Triple and a Street Triple R. Not one of them even came close to giving me the kind of stiffy I get when riding the Brutale.

I know we're all a bit biased on this site but my advice is go for it, you won't be disappointed.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrip View Post
Hello, I'm looking to swap my Triumph Speed Triple and have always longed to own an MV. The question is tho, would it be right for me? I bought my Triumph before they became the very popular bike they are now but have always loved it and could never swap it for a run of the mill Jap naked. It would be a 2nd bike, a sunny day toy - but what is MV ownership really like these days ?? Has anyone done a similar bike swap like this and could give me advice? I suppose a big question also has to be which model would you all recommend bearing in mind I'm coming from a lovely, torquey 3 cylinder engine and ive never been a big 4 cylinder fan. Is there a good compromise in the current Brutale line up or should I hold off for the 675 triple cylinder Brutale? All advice greatfully accepted
Only if you want to be a girly man. Buy an F4
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:35 PM

I had a street triple did 17k miles on it and have just got a 920 brutale. Loving it so far, 450 miles and counting.

Brutale 800 Italia
Monster 796 .
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post
Only if you want to be a girly man. Buy an F4
It was only a matter of time. The F4 thread is obviously really quiet at the moment coz they're all busy in the garage polishing their bikes an cracking one off.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 03:50 PM

I did the same swap from Speed Triple to Brutale - now on my 2nd Brutale and love it.

Still love the Triumph though - so have a Daytona 675 as a 2nd bike

MV Agusta F4 (2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode