Full Ti Exhaust and ECU fitted to 1090RR Brutale - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Full Ti Exhaust and ECU fitted to 1090RR Brutale

I finally got the full Ti exhaust system from Evolutionbike fitted and ECU installed on the 1090 RR and all went fairly smoothly.

The pipes and brackets were all a perfect fit but did require a fair bit of jiggling to get all the sections seated properly which was aided with the application of high temp anti seize.

The hardest bit was getting the original one piece headers and cat past the oil cooler which I had to remove from its mounting bracket.

Regarding the Secondary Air Circuit, I blocked off the air feed from the airbox to the secondary air circuit using the rubber plug supplied, disconnected the power feed to the S E C solenoid, and re-connected the air feed hose to the airbox

This method kept all the hoses intact but had the same effect as removal and blanking off.

I also removed the rubber baffles from the sides of the airbox to increase air flow

I actually ran the bike with the new system before installing the ECU (couldn't resist) and it ran fine including idling really smoothly and at normal RPM (about 1050 to 1150 RPM)

Following the install of the ECU and connecting the VDST to adjust the TPS the throttle position was @ 2.1 degrees prior to re-setting, so the idle, and throttle position was actually ok so I could have gotten away without the VDST kit though I was not to know that beforehand. Also, this is contrary to some of the forum inputs which seem to infer high idle revs following installation of exhaust systems.

The bike idles a little rougher on start up for about 20 seconds following the ECU install and re-set (sounds like a lumpy cam) then settles down and idles smoothly.

I have only had a couple of (very) short rides following the install so canít really gauge any major differences at this point BUT it is FREAKING LOUD and the sound is awesome. What a BARK!!.

I scoured the forum prior to attempting this which provided some invaluable info, such as posts by Racasey dealing with the fiddly electrical connectors surrounding the ECU, and some great input from Getec.

Strangely, there was only ONE fuel line from the pump to the injector rail and no return line? Is this a constant pressure pump or something?

Cheers,

Stu

Last edited by SuperStu; 09-25-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStu View Post
I finally got the full Ti exhaust system from Evolutionbike fitted and ECU installed on the 1090 RR and all went fairly smoothly.

The pipes and brackets were all a perfect fit but did require a fair bit of jiggling to get all the sections seated properly which was aided with the application of high temp anti seize.

The hardest bit was getting the original one piece headers and cat past the oil cooler which I had to remove from its mounting bracket.

Regarding the Secondary Air Circuit, I blocked off the air feed from the airbox to the secondary air circuit using the rubber plug supplied, disconnected the power feed to the S E C solenoid, and re-connected the air feed hose to the airbox

This method kept all the hoses intact but had the same effect as removal and blanking off.

I also removed the rubber baffles from the sides of the airbox to increase air flow

I actually ran the bike with the new system before installing the ECU (couldn't resist) and it ran fine including idling really smoothly and at normal RPM (about 1050 to 1150 RPM)

Following the install of the ECU and connecting the VDST to adjust the TPS the throttle position was @ 2.1 degrees prior to re-setting, so the idle, and throttle position was actually ok so I could have gotten away without the VDST kit though I was not to know that beforehand. Also, this is contrary to some of the forum inputs which seem to infer high idle revs following installation of exhaust systems.

The bike idles a little rougher on start up for about 20 seconds following the ECU install and re-set (sounds like a lumpy cam) then settles down and idles smoothly.

I have only had a couple of (very) short rides following the install so canít really gauge any major differences at this point BUT it is FREAKING LOUD and the sound is awesome. What a BARK!!.

I scoured the forum prior to attempting this which provided some invaluable info, such as posts by Racasey dealing with the fiddly electrical connectors surrounding the ECU, and some great input from Getec.

Strangely, there was only ONE fuel line from the pump to the injector rail and no return line? Is this a constant pressure pump or something?

Cheers,

Stu
did your bike have a lambda sensor originally installed? and if so, what did you do w/it- remove, etc?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 04:10 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStu View Post

Cheers,

Stu
Hi Stu: You are the second person to have made reference to a rubber plug supplied with your exhaust, and used to block off a connection in the air box. I would greatly appreciate any elaboration on the plug, and where the modifications are, with great specificity.

I received my exhaust from MV USA early in 2010 and was told that being the first installed in the USA and as i was installing it myself, Varese had asked Eraldo at FBF to vet the installation instructions for use in the USA. I'm in the USA, and neither the instructions, or the components of the exhaust made any reference to plugging any air connections.

If your instruction sheet discusses this or has photos, I'd welcome a copy or scanned image. Might you be able to assist me?

Best wishes,
Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racasey View Post
Hi Stu: You are the second person to have made reference to a rubber plug supplied with your exhaust, and used to block off a connection in the air box. I would greatly appreciate any elaboration on the plug, and where the modifications are, with great specificity.

I received my exhaust from MV USA early in 2010 and was told that being the first installed in the USA and as i was installing it myself, Varese had asked Eraldo at FBF to vet the installation instructions for use in the USA. I'm in the USA, and neither the instructions, or the components of the exhaust made any reference to plugging any air connections.

If your instruction sheet discusses this or has photos, I'd welcome a copy or scanned image. Might you be able to assist me?

Best wishes,
Dick
email sent with MV Italy install instructions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe and take care.

GETEC - Glenn
Vivere il sogno !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

G,day Dick, looks like Glenn has your request covered but I will be happy to help if required.

To Lebrunseven, the new mid pipe has the Lamda sensor fitting and is supplied with a blanking off plug screwed in. The race ECU does not use the sensor so I removed the sensor and disconnected the butterfly drive cables from the drive motor and removed them but left the motor intact.

Cheers,

Stu
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Established Member

Secondary air ?????

Hi Stu, thanks for the prompt reply, and thanks to Glenn for the emailed PDF. I read the info Glenn sent, and I'm confused still. My confusion lies in not understanding the function of the secondary air circuit (SAC), and that in the instructions MV sent me, there was no mention of the SAC. Perhaps, over time, MV realized a need for blanking part of the SAC.

Perhaps you or someone else can explain the role of the SAC I will better understand if I need to buy the two plugs Glenn's instruction sheet identified, and install them on my bike.

I can only add, that my bike, without the SAC blanked off between the air box and the SAC valve, runs GREAT!

Any thoughts?

Best wishes,
Dick

Last edited by racasey; 12-25-2012 at 10:31 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Ok, jumping in here. The Secondary Air Valve and system looks to be an emission gig. At some signal, a solenoid opens and connects the valve cover airspace to the Airbox via some sort of reed valve set up. Probably USA only.

I am getting ready to install this very system, with the race ECU, on my wife's 2010 1090RR Brutale. Much to my chagrin...no instructions were included.

Tips from those who have gone before me will be welcome.

Is there any change in functionality for Traction Control and the like when the ECU is changed out?

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Ok, jumping in here. The Secondary Air Valve and system looks to be an emission gig. At some signal, a solenoid opens and connects the valve cover airspace to the Airbox via some sort of reed valve set up. Probably USA only.

I am getting ready to install this very system, with the race ECU, on my wife's 2010 1090RR Brutale. Much to my chagrin...no instructions were included.

Tips from those who have gone before me will be welcome.

Is there any change in functionality for Traction Control and the like when the ECU is changed out?
PM me your email address and I will email you the MV Italy instructions...

Ride safe and take care.

GETEC - Glenn
Vivere il sogno !
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Since I posted, I have learned that the ECUs are the same, but the mapping is different. When I have installed the system, I will have the original ECU mapped with the race ECU mapping and then it will be dyno tuned.

See here: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50743

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode