Brutale headlight cover came loose - what to do? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Brutale headlight cover came loose - what to do?

For the last few weeks, I've been noticing a little rattle that slowly transitioned to a 'clank' when I'd hit a bump. I initially thought it was all my tools and crap under the pillion seat. But today I noticed a gap between the assembly, and sure enough, with just a light pull, the headlight cover came off. The epoxy had dried, and I was one or two more bumps away from it crashing to the ground and shattering.

So, advice on putting it back together? Should I strip away the original epoxy and reglue? And what kind of adhesive should I use?

'06 MV Brutale 910
'00 Monster 900Sie (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 07:47 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
What you want to use is windshield adhesive. 3m makes it among others. I wouldn't use silicone or the common RTV.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 PM
cus

What about Sikaflex, we used it for installing new windscreens in aircraft and it allows for some flex when cured which could be part of the problem with a "rigid" adhesive like epoxy. I assume you are well out of warranty with your bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
What you want to use is windshield adhesive. 3m makes it among others. I wouldn't use silicone or the common RTV.
Did a bit of digging in the forum - apparently it's a common problem.

Should I strip the current dry adhesive, or slap a layer of the windshield adhesive between it and the black housing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cus View Post
What about Sikaflex, we used it for installing new windscreens in aircraft and it allows for some flex when cured which could be part of the problem with a "rigid" adhesive like epoxy. I assume you are well out of warranty with your bike.
Yeah, got it used - it's an 06 anyway. I'll hit up Home Depot in a bit and check for both Sikaflex and the windshield adhesive recommended by CAG.

'06 MV Brutale 910
'00 Monster 900Sie (sold)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 05:45 AM
cus

As long as you can get the old adhesive off without busting the glass I`d be doing so then you have two clean surfaces to adhere to.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Established Member

My headlight lens came loose as well. It appears to be a common problem. I've seen this story before....

The headlight assy design only relies on the adhesive joint (tongue and groove) for the lens to be secured. With a heavy lens like Brutale's, this is a design fault, IMO.

I have remedied using an automotive grade silocone adhesive. I made sure I removed all of the old adhesive, cleaned the lens and the plastic base thoroughly with alcohol. I had put some extra amount to assure proper adhesion. No problems after 10k miles. (knock on wood)

I've heard some people have resorted to clear duct tape for extra insurance.

2004 Brutale S
1998 VFR 800--gone
2012 Diavel--new
1993 900SS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 11:29 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Remove the adhesive. I don't think you will find what you need at the local hardware store.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:35 AM

New Site Garage
Wurth

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Established Member

Totally clean both surfaces of the old adhesive. It wouldn't hurt to rough up the plastic side with a little steel wool either. If you can't find the good stuff at your local auto stores like I couldn't, don't be afraid to use the extra-strength (black) RTV from Autozone. That's what I ended up using and it has held up really well. I was worried at first checking after every ride but now it's been 3,000 miles and still no play whatsoever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode