Another Rear brg takes a sh*^ - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Another Rear brg takes a sh*^

Well after a few weeks of ownership I am joining the rear brg club. So, AAA paid off with a free tow home from work.
I was patting myself on the back for having bought a socket for the rear axle. Trouble is some of the posts about the left handed threads don't refer to the left or drive side of the machine. So I actually tightened the bastard nut. Broke two cheap breaker bars and lifted the rear of the bike off the ground with the jack handle for a cheater bar. Wife refused to sit on the bike to hold it down (probably wise on her part)
Well thanks to Noel for setting me straight on that one.
So tomorrow, I have to limp it up the street to Goodyear to see if they will lend the ole 1/2 impact.
Oh yeah, also sheared off a 6mm bolt that was keeping the wheel from turning. (through the rotor)

Tomorrow has to be a better day!

Glad it didn't go on the way home from Denver!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:55 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Shit,6mm bolt through the rotor
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:41 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Look, in the future, before you go doing pretty much anything to your bike have a look here and refer to the relevant section of the service manual.
http://my.agusta.us/

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:44 AM

Welcome to the "hub club", re the 6mm bolt, where did that come adrift from? Not heard that one before.

A tip for undoing the reverse thread wheel nut, I hook the bike into second gear and get a helper to apply the rear brake hard. I use a 3/4 inch good quality breaker bar on the socket and a 5 foot length of scaffold tube, works for me.

Good luck with the repair and don't skimp on a cheapo replacement 3810 bearing.

jimboF4
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
And why didn't you call me??? Noel can hook you up with bearings. What did you screw the 6mm bolt into to try and lock the wheel?

Anyway, once you have removed the over tightened nuts and properly torqued they will not be so tough the next time. Pay attention to the shop manual. Clean surfaces and light grease on first threads only if I recall (I have to refer to the manual every time as my aging brain can't retain even the most basic of specs).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Yeah, it was too late for East coasters and the 6 mm bolt trick I read about here. It secured the wheel from turning until it broke. Rotors are cheaper than trannies. Don't really want the trans taking abuse.

I plan to use never seize on assembly. The manual is taking a lonnnng time to open on my computer so I read some posts and went for it. Live and learn.
So hopefully the air tool will do the job. If not, a larger breaker bar.

And finally I have not even started on the reverse thread nut on the throttle side. That fun comes after I get the drive side loose.

Cheers and thanks for the advice.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Update,,, Goodyear and air tools made easy work of it. Had them loosen both nuts so tonight I can see what is really broke!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs down don't!

DO NOT USE THE TRANSMISSION TO LOCK THE REAR WHEEL!

loop soft ties through the foot peg brackets then connect a tie down through the rear wheel to the soft ties. adjust the length of the tie down to make a 90 deg angle with the wheel spoke

if you have a rear hugger watch the routing of the tie down

transmission gears are case hardened, and you can crack them......
all you need is a broken tooth NOTHING, will put you down faster than a locked transmission

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 12:55 PM

As a new owner, what models are these bearing's going out on? Should I do Mitch's replacement just for peace of mind? I do lengthy road trips a few times a year.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:31 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up Mitch's hubs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves1078rr View Post
As a new owner, what models are these bearing's going out on? Should I do Mitch's replacement just for peace of mind?
all models pre '10 have the same hub

for model years '10-'11, with MV's new design hub/axle, the record so far is something like 300mi before it died

Donsy races on a Mitch's hub and doesn't even bother checking it

i got 2, one for the F4 the other for the Brutale.....

i buy the 3810-2RS hub bearings 20 at a time, most people buy them from me 2 at a time so they have a spare, and very little down time

there has been a lot of serious interest since Brian got hurt in OZ....
i should be getting a new shipment in ~4 weeks
one is already gone, John sent a deposit to make sure he got one, even though this is pretty much the end of his riding season

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 09-22-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode