Tail of the dragon. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Tail of the dragon.

Saturday I get to ride with some friends for a little more than 400 miles and then Sunday Tail of the Dragon! I am excited about this. I currently live in Missouri and we have some pretty sweet roads for motorcycles, but nothing famous like that one. Anyway, I just wanted to share. Think it will be great fun on a Brute. Also, just found out I will be in Italy for a week in October. Could get to visit MV.

Last edited by liberiatolo; 09-13-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Established Member

Be careful!

Years ago I rode the "Tail" and it was amazing. In fact, it still is. Unfortunately, LEO is fully aware of how amazing it is and uses this road as a major source of revenue for the township that it resides in. My father lives in nearby Cherokee and told me recently that LEO is issuing citations for 1mph over the speed limit.

If you can, go late at night 2am to 5am. Watch out for the deer tho!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:40 PM

Ride the Hellbender 28, much better than the dragon. I personally hate that road. Cherahola Skyway is awesome also.

07 Brutale' 910R Arrow Thunder, PCIII,Ferracci chip, CRG mirrors,levers. Scotts, Motovation sliders.
O6 Yamaha FZ1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 09:41 PM

You will have a great trip...I live in Tennessee and have done the dragon several times...
a couple bits of advice, take it or leave it.....the more aggressive street rider you are, the more they may benefit you...
1. Try to ride the dragon on weekdays if possible...if you have to do it on the weekend, early is better before the cops show up or later when they leave, also less traffic. While very tight, your main risk is others crossing the double yellow. Speed is relatively low so accidents are usually minor.

2. Stick to the other roads and local routes for more quality miles...visit the site tailofthedragon.com for some other routes.

3. The cherahola is awesome if you like speed...hundred plus with tons of nice turns...worth the ride for sure..about 50 miles of pure bliss. But because speeds are, accidents are unforgiving...head the curves marked with signs and speed, there are a couple decreasing radius ones that will get you.

More later.......

A gun is not a weapon. It's a tool, like a butcher's knife, or a harpoon, or an alligator.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Established Member

In my opinion, US 421 east of Bristol TN/VA to Shady Vally TN, then to Mountain City is THE BEST road in the east coast. I've taken my Brutale there several times over the past few years. Much better than The Dragon. If you go there during the week, there's virutally no cops. You won't regret it. Try it.

2004 Brutale S
1998 VFR 800--gone
2012 Diavel--new
1993 900SS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Established Member

Cherahola is totally amazeballs. However, I think I'd sh** myself if I had to ride the bike through that.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 03:32 PM

me and my paps did the tail and cherohola this summer while we were at Norris Lake.

We got to the dragon at about 8am on a thursday, only saw 2 cars and 4 bikes on the whole ride, pretty fun. They we did Cherohola, and it freaking poured rain off and on the whole time we were up there. Roads were soaked, couldn't see shit. Not all that much fun in those conditions, but if it had been sunny, I'm sure it would've been great.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights, while subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere - Colin Chapman

2004 Brutale 750S
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 PM

I ride that area at least twice a year. Cherohola is awesome when the weather is clear, but very fast and can get hazardous if weather is less than ideal. Tail of the Dragon is fun but only during the week as mentioned by prior posts. Too many squids, Harleys and LEOs on the weekend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode