Left Hand Indicators - Different 910 same story - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Left Hand Indicators - Different 910 same story

Took my bike out for a ride today and all was going well until I suddenly realized at a light that my left hand indicators weren't blinking despite that I had pushed them. I pulled over and stopped the bike and turned off the engine. Left hand Blinkers work. Turn it on - Left blinkers don't' work. Naturally now I'm irritated and thinking either indicator switch issue or SPU.

Start driving and keep playing with it and found a pattern of behavior with the left indicator. Here it goes.
I drive and get the operating temp up over 192 degrees - left blinkers totally stops working. They appear to stay not working until I get going up to speed and temp drops below 182 degrees. Then they come back.

Now I'm totally thinking SPU is overheating and therefore not working when the engine gets over 190-192 degrees. It's only the left hand indicators (right seem to work fine) as does everything else (for now). I just had the bike in 2 rides ago for service and started thinking maybe a loose connection is occurring with the bike, and possibly the temp is a coincidence. However, i was able to replicate it not working 2-3 times on the way home playing with my running temp and then checking the blinkers.

Thoughts from those that know way more than me? I'm thinking I'm taking it in the shop tomorrow. Is this SPU and how would one check it specifically? If it is overheating to the point of not working and seems to go from operational to stop working back to operational - would there be evidence to support that claim? Any advice to arm myself before trying to talk to the techs tomorrow??
Thanks!

P.S. THIS SUCKS!

06 910S Brutale
97 Ducati Monster 750 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:41 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
The easiest way and most obvious is to eliminate the spu as a potential problem by swapping in a replacement ECU. (Your dealer doesn't have one) What year is your 910? Which SPU do you have in it? Does it have the blue back or the black back? If it is black, it is probably not an SPU problem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
The easiest way and most obvious is to eliminate the spu as a potential problem by swapping in a replacement ECU. (Your dealer doesn't have one) What year is your 910? Which SPU do you have in it? Does it have the blue back or the black back? If it is black, it is probably not an SPU problem.
Bike is a 2006 910S. 3,800 miles with zero issues with the exception of a really hot/humid day had a few stalling issues (2 mos ago). Dealer checked it out and seemed to think this was related to humidity and the 98 degree temps that it can cause some issues when going down to idle (something about fuel temp - whatever).

Just looked and the back is blue. It also has a label that says LMY 861A (not sure if that's important). Given its blue - probably SPU?
Is there a way to have them check it at the dealer or any signs. Item looks okay when I checked it out - nothing looks burnt.

06 910S Brutale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:24 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Most of them don't fail as dramatically as this one:

So, you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at it.

If your name is Hartley Hare, there is probably a way to test your SPU with out swapping it. i.e, with a multi meter and a wiring schematic.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Established Member

Old Vs. New

Yellow marked areas of overheating, and red is probably the hottest area below which I guess is fuel pump, ignition coil and injectors relay - which stopped working.

Fortunately for me there was no smoke
Attached Images

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks all. Deciding what I want to do - may end up trading in for another bike. I fell in love with a 2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO while taking the MV in to be looked at for this issue and dealer is offering an awesome price for trade in....

06 910S Brutale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode