1078 waterpump housing leaking - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

1078 waterpump housing leaking

Couldn't understand why bike was running hoptter than normal, pulled over and low on coolant. Wasn't far from home, so no problems, went straigh there. When I got home I looked around for leak and found sidestand and electrical plugs below waterpump were covered in coolant. Seems to be weeping from the bottom of the waterpump housing. Can anyone tell me if it is a gasket between the housing and the block or an o ring. I nipped up the bolts I could get to (how you do the rh one that's facing the block is beyond me!) - they were tight, but did move them a bit more. Haven't road tested yet, just wanted to see if anyone has come across this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 01:13 AM

New Site Garage
Read the workshop manual mate, and do a search in the maintenance area. http://my.agusta.us/
It is leaking through a weep hole or Tell Tale hole, the seal on the axle pump shaft has gone. Very easy to repair.
Good luck

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 02:17 AM

Yup, it's a common but minor issue on the Brutales.
Mike

2008 Brutale 910s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 02:56 AM

New Site Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeduc2 View Post
Yup, it's a common but minor issue on the Brutales.
Mike
It's not only a Brutale thing, the F4's use the same part.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Really? It's only done 4000k's. Am I going to have to do this every 4000k's then?

I haven't got a workshop manual, but had a look at the parts list and can see the seal. Doesn't tell me how to remove the pump and get that bolt out though. Maybe have to run it down to Nerang - still under warrantee, just a pain in the arse getting it down there! Thanks for the info though fella's.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 03:03 AM

New Site Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutale4me View Post
Really? It's only done 4000k's. Am I going to have to do this every 4000k's then?

I haven't got a workshop manual, but had a look at the parts list and can see the seal. http://my.agusta.us/ This is why I added this link, here you can download all the workshop manuals.

Doesn't tell me how to remove the pump and get that bolt out though. Maybe have to run it down to Nerang - still under warrantee, just a pain in the arse getting it down there! Thanks for the info though fella's.
No you don't have to do this every 4000km, mine leaked at 1000km and never again after that.
http://my.agusta.us/ most manaul's are here

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks donsey - just found this post too :http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...ght=water+pump

Seems that the two bolts facing the block don't have to be removed to remove it from the block. I'll probably do it myself. BTW, should I / do I need to, replace the impella with the new one - or is the 1078 OK for this? Thanks again guys.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 03:26 AM

New Site Garage
Post Good job mate

In general most Brutale's don't suffer from the same overheating issue's that the F4 has. You don't therefore have to change the impeller but if you have the $ then have a look I think Alex at Gutsy has them in stock.
Look first to see if your bike has not already got the new impeller in already.
Good luck.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 04:46 AM

I had the same problem with my 1078 and when I removed the water pump there is a drain hole for water that leaks past the impeller seal on the inside of the pump there are two seals one on the impeller side and one on the engine drive side I replaced the impeller seal with a Vitron seal as they have a higher heat tolerence to the standard seal the one on the drive end is appears to be a high heat type. Also the two bolts facing the motor are short and help seal the pump housing along with the two outer facing ones ,when I had my pump apart I installed the updated impeller and housing and you need both as the new impeller will not fit in the old housing.Cheers
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padier View Post
...I replaced the impeller seal with a Vitron seal as they have a higher heat tolerence to the standard seal the one on the drive end is appears to be a high heat type. Also the two bolts facing the motor are short and help seal the pump housing along with the two outer facing ones...
thanks padier, did you source these seals from a bearing place (aftermarket)? Just wondering if they are a common size I could get locally as it would save all the stuffing around with the dealer and could probably get it sorted tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode