Time for a new SPU - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Time for a new SPU

This won't buff out.

I'm was out for a nice afternoon ride, about 2 miles from home when the bike just died. I bumped started it and it ran for a bit and died again. I coasted to a stop and saw wisps of smoke coming from under the tank. Ruh, roh George. It got progressively worse and turned into a tan, billowing, smelly kind of smoke. I cold smell plastic melting, and electrical stuff burning. I grabbed the useless tool kit, (I will never ride without it again) quickly pulled the side panels off, unscrewed the tank bolt and got the tank off. The side of the tank was scorched. I have pictures of that too. All I could think of was if there is this much smoke coming from the area just under the tank I'm probably moments away from this bike going up in flames.

I could probably call MV and raise hell about it but I won't. It may have been operator error. The bolt holding the spherical rod end to the bracket for the steering damper had backed out and I think the end of the damper knocked the key between the on and the off position. I don't know if that caused it or not, but I'm not positive and it would be dishonorable to conceal that detail.

So I'll just get in line with the rest of you guys for a new SPU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 PM

New Site Garage
Exclamation Awh shit Carl

Bad one that, especialy since it is the new "Blue Resin" SPU, you will have Noel tell you about loctite on those bolts and screws.
Bugger, sorry to see man, glad the bike did not go up in flames though.
I know a guy that used to have those in stock .

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 08:52 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvinohio View Post
Stinger (that's the name I gave my Brutale) is back in action. I called 6 dealers to see who had a new SPU also called CDI Module. New part number 8A009300. Ferracci didn't have it in stock but I was quoted $616USD and who knows when delivery would take place. Out in Washington state the price quoted was $513USD. again not is stock. Pro Itlaia price was $513USD, not in stock. Finally I called Moto Forza in Escondido CA and Kris Cordato fixed me right up. The price was good $380USD plus $10 for shipping. I think the reason the price was lower is because he had it in stock and did not look at MV Agusta's new parts ordering system. He's probably going to kick himself when he looks at the new retail price. It sounds like Moto Forza carries a lot of MV stuff.

I found out a couple of interesting things maybe some of you already knew. Ferracci is no longer the face of of MV in the US. Now he is just another dealer. I was told by some of the guys in the parts departments I called that MV has gone to a new parts ordering system and all the dealers go direct to MV, not Ferracci. In my opinion that relationship was holding MV down in the USA but that is my own opinion. If I understand correctly, one of the guys told me, MV has set up a warehouse in PA with a small staff and will be doing parts from there once everything is sorted out.

Any way I got the part, put it in and I went for a ride tonight, head light blazing not flashing. So far so good. The backing plate on the new SPU has four set screws and a huge bead of silicon around the fuse-cuicuit board area. The old SPU had a good size gap on the right side. I am sure the heat warped the case. I might take my diamond cutting wheel and cut that box open and see what is going on. I suspect some solid state relays and IC chips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
This won't buff out.

I'm was out for a nice afternoon ride, about 2 miles from home when the bike just died. I bumped started it and it ran for a bit and died again. I coasted to a stop and saw wisps of smoke coming from under the tank. Ruh, roh George. It got progressively worse and turned into a tan, billowing, smelly kind of smoke. I cold smell plastic melting, and electrical stuff burning. I grabbed the useless tool kit, (I will never ride without it again) quickly pulled the side panels off, unscrewed the tank bolt and got the tank off. The side of the tank was scorched. I have pictures of that too. All I could think of was if there is this much smoke coming from the area just under the tank I'm probably moments away from this bike going up in flames.

I could probably call MV and raise hell about it but I won't. It may have been operator error. The bolt holding the spherical rod end to the bracket for the steering damper had backed out and I think the end of the damper knocked the key between the on and the off position. I don't know if that caused it or not, but I'm not positive and it would be dishonorable to conceal that detail.

So I'll just get in line with the rest of you guys for a new SPU.
Maybe this will help ?

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I saw that thread. It is the blue backers that are the suspect parts, the black ones are the good. This came from an '04 750. I've seen the blue ones on '06s. I think the made the change over in 07? There was a thread somewhere about it. I think they could determine which by VIN.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 09:14 PM

New Site Garage
Wink

Thanks for that Carl

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 09:19 PM

+1 on that carl, mine was the blue and the burn looked similar, but not melted all the way through

Adding power makes you faster on the straights, while subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere - Colin Chapman

2004 Brutale 750S
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 02:53 AM

Sorry to hear about the problems Carl. Will now be checking mine this weekend as it is an '06!

Stuck on a rock off the coast of France
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 05:03 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I saw that thread. It is the blue backers that are the suspect parts, the black ones are the good. This came from an '04 750. I've seen the blue ones on '06s. I think the made the change over in 07? There was a thread somewhere about it. I think they could determine which by VIN.
8000A9615 (First serie B4-750 till no. #004321)

8000A9300 (B4-750 frame no. #004322 and later and all B4-910/989/1078)

8A00A9615 replacement for 8000A9615 (A and 0 difference!)

8A00A9300 replacement for 8000A9300 (A and 0 difference!)

You may/can use 8A00A9300 for first serie B4-750 (modification needed of cabling! but is no official writing. The other way around is not possible.

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

Last edited by hb88xx; 09-02-2011 at 05:05 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 06:24 AM

New Site Garage
Smile +10

hb, what will we do without you.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 06:35 AM

Ouch..That's bad luck...Compliments on your bravery though. I would have run like heck .....

joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode