leaky fork seal - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

leaky fork seal

I rode my `06 910R to indy for the GP. When I got home I noticed a small bit of oil on the left fork leg Not a great deal but noticeable.
Is it possible it just belched out a little oil or do I need to order fork seals tomorrow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Try this trick....take a soft cotton business card (not one of the glossy stiff ones) and stick a corner up under the seal and pull it around the fork tube and out. Cleans the goop and bug guts out. Or but a Seal Mate to do the same thing.

You may not need to replace the seals, just clean them ( old dirt bike rider trick). I did this last September when my left seal started leaking a bit. Bunch of crud came out on my business card. Proceeded to do a track day and another 5K miles...has not leaked a bit.

And where were you???? I never saw another MV all weekend. Meridian Street Friday night....Gina was the only MV there.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Established Member

Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Try this trick....take a soft cotton business card (not one of the glossy stiff ones) and stick a corner up under the seal and pull it around the fork tube and out. Cleans the goop and bug guts out.

MikeCgaz
2006 910S Brutale MV Agusta waaa hooo
2002 916 S4 Ducati Monster
2003 BMW F650GS
2003 Honda XR200

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Try this trick....take a soft cotton business card (not one of the glossy stiff ones) and stick a corner up under the seal and pull it around the fork tube and out. Cleans the goop and bug guts out. Or but a Seal Mate to do the same thing.

You may not need to replace the seals, just clean them ( old dirt bike rider trick). I did this last September when my left seal started leaking a bit. Bunch of crud came out on my business card. Proceeded to do a track day and another 5K miles...has not leaked a bit.

And where were you???? I never saw another MV all weekend. Meridian Street Friday night....Gina was the only MV there.
Thanks I`ll give it a try. Do you remove the dust seal so you can actually get to the seal I rode over saturday morning and parked in front of the museum. i talked to another guy there on a Tamburini. I rode home saturday afternoon and rode the duc back sunday.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 PM

I feel like I am going crazy, I live in Indy, how were there guys from here in my home town and me not know. I saw 2 F4s and had the Brutale there, not on Meridian, was on the Circle. I was parked in the gravel area at Ducati Island right before the big arch if you were walking over from the museum side.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Established Member

Great idea...

I'll have to try the business card fix. My 2011 Brutale has a left fork leg that collects grime on long rides, it'd be great if this fixes it...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Old Wing Nut

Well...hell....I parked in the gravel lot under the scoring board next to Ducati Island and across from the museum Friday...right by the entrance. Parked on the circle Friday night just off Meridian....Lot 8 Saturday and Sunday.

Walked a zillion miles and looked at bikes in all the lots I got near.....never saw another MV.

Well, I'm home now...next year.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Old Wing Nut

Oh yeah....no, I don't pull the dust seal down.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:33 AM
Established Member

Another way for the "old dirt bike rider trick" ...
Take a piece of photographic film (very thin and easy to use and the dirt stays in those perforations along the edge of the film).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:52 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up seals?

if the fork seal is leaking.....you have to pull the dust seal down to get at the fork seal

i prefer film or thin plastic over a business card, because you could leave some fuzz off the card in the seal

in over a million miles, never had a leaky fork seal, one bad front wheel bearing and 2 flat tires

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode