Prepping Brutale for 1000mi camping trip - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Prepping Brutale for 1000mi camping trip

After reading about other members' experiences with touring on the Brutale, I decided to give camping a shot, and head up to one of the more famous motorcycling roads in Northen California, Hwy 36. The plan was to give camping a try, and I had a challenge to carry all my equipment for a 3-day trip safely. So just wanted to share some of my mods with anyone interested.

I have this Garmin Nuvi 550 GPS - it's slightly more compact vs the Zumo, and is also waterproof, so I wanted to try mounting it on the Brutale. It's quite easy to operate with gloved fingers, but direct sunlight made it a bit difficult to read.

I used a Techmount and just bolted it directly to the handlebar. I can report that the whole rig was very stable at freeway speeds. The cradle and USB to bare wire came with a Garmin motorcycle kit. I just wired it directly to the battery because I'm not very mechanically/ electrically inclined. So unfortunately the GPS would stay on even when the ignition was turned off, but I just unplugged it on the USB side when we stopped for longer than a few minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

For luggage I went with Bags-Connection stuff based on research on this forum and elsewhere. I ended up with an Engage Sport (I think that's the name) for the tankbag. It's not a huge bag but I just wanted something to carry items for quick access. And it fits the shape of the Brutale perfectly, in my opinion.

As others have posted the cool thing about this tankbag is that it using a mounting ring system, so the bag does not actually touch the tank. Also I didn't want to deal with more straps (since magnetic doesn't work with our bikes).

For the rearbags I went with the Cargobag and Tentbag also from Bags-Connection. There's a decent amount of space in both. I ended up putting extra stuff in the Tentbag, including a camp pillow and more clothes, etc, since my tent packed pretty small. Once I put my sleeping bag in the Cargobag it filled up quite quickly though. But there are some compartments on the side that actually fit a lot of stuff.

So the Tentbag can attach directly to the Cargobag, which makes it a pretty good integrated system. I had room to strap down my sleeping pad as well.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

I did experience bar vibration on long trips, so I went with the weighted bar ends from Motovation. Installed quite easily and worked really well! I got the ones that can accommodate the bar end mirrors.

While I was at it I got the Motovation frame sliders as well. I know many people use them on the forum, so installed those for the trip. On very long straights I found I could rest my legs on them as well to stretch (disclaimer, I'm sure that is not an "authorized use" of the sliders).

Last edited by caferacr; 08-22-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

So, that's about it! So this being my first camping trip on a bike, I would have to say everything worked out quite well. Made it to the camp site and enjoyed some good weather, food, and of course roads. Next time I will try to fit the hugger I got from CAG (couldn't remove the dang rear wheel nut, even with my torque wrench) and probably order a Corbin seat as well.

If anyone can recommend some rearsets that can lower the pegs a couple inches and maintain ground clearance, please let me know! Legs were definitely getting quite cramped after 1000 miles

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 05:18 PM

Nice!! How does the tank bag attach? Did you see my "touring" pics?

07 Brutale' 910R Arrow Thunder, PCIII,Ferracci chip, CRG mirrors,levers. Scotts, Motovation sliders.
O6 Yamaha FZ1
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 PM

New Site Garage
I am heading for the Sierras in a few weeks on my first touring trip with the Brute and I was looking for a small bag to complement my tail bag. This one looks perfect. Great timing on your post. Thanks!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 07:42 PM

Nice setup, in regards to handle bar vibration. A friend of mine reloads his own ammo and he gave me enough lead pellets to fill my handlebar. It knocked out 95 percent of the vibration.

2006 Brutale 910S - Arrow Midpipe - PCIII | 2001 Kaw ZRX1200R

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V10KLZZ71S View Post
Nice!! How does the tank bag attach? Did you see my "touring" pics?
Yeah! I believe you have the Speedpack Wide, right? That is awesome. I'd definitely consider that for trips longer than 3 - 4 days.

The tankbag attaches with a mounting ring system.

First there is an adapter that is installed around your fuel cap:

Then the attachment on the tankbag will lock into the adapter ring.

You release the pin lock by pulling this cord:
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Established Member

Appreciate the write-up. I searched tail-bags on here and came across this thread. Coincidentally I was also interested in that same mount for my Garmin Nuvi AND the Bags-Connection tank bag with the power connection. Looks like its the way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Established Member

well done! dont think there's too many MV's into touring. correct me if I'm wrong

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode