Help - new engine block? I want to cry. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Unhappy Help - new engine block? I want to cry.

While my recovery following the June 10 accident is positive (I can sleep five hours a night now - congratulate me, please!), wish I could say the same for my girl (the italian one).

She was almost without a scratch, but I knew from a friend that she was gushing oil from one spot, I have just turned her on after two months, now I know where. I ran for my tissue box...hopefully I wont have to fetch the wallet yet.

>>On the left hand side, we see the (F4) engine block cover. BELOW that same cover ON the engine block itself, we see three raised metal notches, screws go into them, no? Well, the middle one on mine has been almost scrubbed off from sliding on the asphalt...when the bike runs, oil gushes HORIZONTALLY to the rear, in a stream about 2mm thick (it's a big one), probably a litre/minute (!!!), the arc of oil hits the back tire.>>

I thought I would do the repairs myself, believing them to be minor - but damn, does this require a NEW bottom half of the engine block, or is there a way to patch up or weld this tiny metal notch? It seems so minor. This is the only leak, and the only problem with bike, apart from missing mirrors and turn signals.

If we absolutely need pictures, give me two more days to get a camera. Let me know what you fellows think.

Thanks!

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 06:45 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Oil gushes horizontally in a stream 2mm thick. So you are saying it is not a small leak?

I've never seen oil squirting out the side of an engine so I vote for a video.

I congratulate you on your recovery. If you decide to replace the engine, let me know. I have a 910R engine with a few thousand miles on it and I'll even deliver it to you.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
May be repairable....maybe not. Photos???? JB Weld may be your friend for a patch. Quality aluminum welder for better repair, but engine dis-assembly may be needed to achieve.

Sounds like you have tapped into a main oil galley. Do NOT run the bike until repaired.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 06:48 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
May be repairable....maybe not. Photos???? JB Weld may be your friend for a patch. Quality aluminum welder for better repair, but engine dis-assembly may be needed to achieve.

Sounds like you have tapped into a main oil galley. Do NOT run the bike until repaired.
Party pooper.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I was about to suggest CAG for possible used cases to do it right!!!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:40 PM

If what I have circled is your problem.. I'd have to say your in need of a new engine block
Attached Images

Take off your pants and jacket

01 750S W/1000R engine
01 Ducati 748 W/853 kit
03 Yamaha R1 (SOLD)
01 Kawasaki KX 125
88 Yamaha YSR 50
01 Yamaha R6
03 Suzuki DRZ pitbike
1982 Honda 110 atc
Yamaha PW50
1978 Honda 90 atc
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2008 Yamaha Raptor 660
1975 Kawasaki G5 100
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:59 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Party pooper.

Yes I think esq'z me is correct, that being the case it means when you run it and it's pissing out oil then your important inside bits are being starved for oil or at least getting low oil pressure.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Trust me here, pissing oil is a great motivator for shutting off tout suite.
Cooper, you are a lifesaver- that is it!!! Can this not be repaired then with a simple weld (no disass)??? What is the significance of this middle metal piece - does it serve some function besides a cruel joke?

So, seriously - a new engine block for only 3mm of missing metal?

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. All in all, I am happy that it is the bike pissing oil and not my head spinal fluid, as was the case two months ago.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_daily View Post
Trust me here, pissing oil is a great motivator for shutting off tout suite.
Cooper, you are a lifesaver- that is it!!! Can this not be repaired then with a simple weld (no disass)??? What is the significance of this middle metal piece - does it serve some function besides a cruel joke?

So, seriously - a new engine block for only 3mm of missing metal?

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. All in all, I am happy that it is the bike pissing oil and not my head spinal fluid, as was the case two months ago.
No it can be repaired. Blocks etc have oil gallerys drilled through them to get the oil to the crankshaft etc. Judging by the picture it will have to be welded, then re-drilled and whatever that bung is in the end reinstalled. Bare in mind to do this metal swarf/fillings will get into the oil gallery so it really needs stripped down for a perfect job.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 02:43 AM

Take the bike to a good engineer and have it professionally evaluated.I don't mean a dealer I mean a shop that does aluminium welding ( just like Henry at Alumacraft UK ). Then you will know whether it is repairable or not. Aluminium can be welded. Cylinder head cracks can be repaired. The question is can this be repaired without hauling out the motor...?

I hope it is something minor too for you

joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode