suspension set-up - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
suspension set-up

hi all, im was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on my suspension set-up. i weigh about 200 lb. with my gear on and am 6'4". ive got an '06 brutale 910. im heading to shadey valley with a couple guys and dont really wanna have to deal with playing with things even though thats half the fun. thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 01:15 AM

have you tried the settings that are in the manual??
I rode mine at the stock settings on the track with no issues and I run on soft settings on the street.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutale_racer910
hi all, im was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on my suspension set-up. i weigh about 200 lb. with my gear on and am 6'4". ive got an '06 brutale 910. im heading to shadey valley with a couple guys and dont really wanna have to deal with playing with things even though thats half the fun. thanks for any advice.
Some are perfectly happy with the stock settings or just a couple clicks of the adjusters but for my riding conditions and style, the stock suspension was worthless no matter how much I tweaked it. Evidentally, Brutale suspensions must vary tremendously between bikes so it's going to be pretty tough to make general recommendations.

I guess the place to start is to ask what's working (or not) on your bike...

What are your current sag settings? Can you get the bike into the recommended range just by adjusting preload settings?

What settings have you changed and what can you not correct with the adjustments you've made?

Harley-Davidson: Seen one, heard 'em all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 11:00 PM

brutale_racer910,

no stock suspention can match custom done aftermarket stuff...

Brutale is OK stock, but it cannot even begin comparing to my GMD fork and Penske shock on my 02 R6.

I paid $1500 for my suspention and geometry work, and I am sure that it was best 1500 i ever spent.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks9mm
brutale_racer910,

no stock suspention can match custom done aftermarket stuff...

Brutale is OK stock, but it cannot even begin comparing to my GMD fork and Penske shock on my 02 R6.

I paid $1500 for my suspention and geometry work, and I am sure that it was best 1500 i ever spent.
Just curious... what did you do your stock suspension before you decided it was necessary to go the custom route?

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvee
Just curious... what did you do your stock suspension before you decided it was necessary to go the custom route?
bump

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:37 PM

This is a good question. The old saying applies - the best you've ridden is the best you know. In other words, the best you've ridden may be far from the best, it's just the best you know.

Having said that, I'm finding the Marzocchi/Sachs combo on my 910R is damn good. At first I was really disappointed as it was so harsh. I found that the dealer had mis-adjusted the high speed compression on the shock to the point of hydraulic lock on a sharp bump. Several clicks of H/S adjustment dialed that out. A few hundred miles seems to have taken a lot of the harshness out of the fork as well.

I'm all for custom suspension - when required. On our Suzuki racebikes we relied on Jim Lindemann to perform his magic on the low end Showa forks and supply a properly sprung and valved Penske shock. For street use the 910R has very high spec suspension with more than enough adjustability in my estimation.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop
This is a good question.

Having said that, I'm finding the Marzocchi/Sachs combo on my 910R is damn good. At first I was really disappointed as it was so harsh.

I'm all for custom suspension - when required.
Have to agree. Both our Brutales were very very harsh to begin with (and I am a fat one!), it took well over 1000 miles to wear in both our 750s suspensions. After a full setup it is superb, one of the best I've used - if still a little harsh for bumpy roads.

I love suspension, always been playing with it. Rebuilt my Hornet front forks 5 times till it was right and setup a few race and trackday bikes now.

My thoughts are no matter how good suspension is, unless its set up it is pure luck if its better or not. Many people get Ohlins etc and live with the best guess it was set to (if your lucky!) - which may or may not be be better than an unsetup standard.

Settting up (for a decent road setup - not trying to get 0.5 secs off a lap ) is not rocket science, there are lots of guides out there that go through the basics, it just takes time and a way of suspending the bike off its suspension.

Always start with standard settings and adjust static sag, your on a hiding to nothing twidling damping without that fundamental setting. Then set the rear ride height to get the bike sitting right. And then start worrying about damping. Make a change and do a 5 mile loop on bumpy & smooth roads not trying to go the fastest youve been but trying to analyse what you dont like about the handling, write it down, have a cup of tea and then try and work out what to fix it with using your chosen guide. The only cost is if you work out you need a different weight spring, the rest is time and effort to learn which repays you a 1000 times over.

Most important thing I learnt is static sag has a range of well defined settings. Too small and you will feel every ripple in a car park tarmac. Too soft and no matter how you play with the damping, it will always feel wallow-y?sp? and if you've over damped it will introduce a whole raft of other problems.

Thats it... 3 in one day...posted out!

Last edited by blackbruty; 11-02-2006 at 12:00 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 01:02 PM

Its interesting that eveyone has noticed a definate break in period with the suspension of these bikes. My front fork was as stiff as a rock when I first adjusted the setting to my weight,and it worked very well. As i have put some miles on it, it seems to be diving again under hard braking....another click on the preload?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy
Its interesting that eveyone has noticed a definate break in period with the suspension of these bikes. My front fork was as stiff as a rock when I first adjusted the setting to my weight,and it worked very well. As i have put some miles on it, it seems to be diving again under hard braking....another click on the preload?
I definately noticed a break in of the suspension. I remember the first day I got my bike, it was ROCK hard and did not sag at all with the stock settings. Now after 1200 miles I can definately feel it sag when I get on. I haven't played yet with the settings as it is working pretty good out of the box. Rear probaby could use a touch more compression/rebound over stock to stablize it fast sweepers.

Bike History:
'88 Ninja 250 > '92 GSXR-600 > '01 YZF-R1 > '06 Brutale + '07 Customized VTX-1300

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode