Going to rent a 990 for a couple hours - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Going to rent a 990 for a couple hours

I've been thinking about buying a Brutale for well over a year. Today I called and made a reservation to rent a 990 for a couple hours on Sunday. I don't think I'm interested in the 990 but I want to see how I like the riding position. I probably want a 1078 but this is the closest bike I can try. I figure I'll probably know if I like the bike in 2 or 3 minutes.

I have a ZX-9R now and I knew on the ride home that I had made a huge mistake (but I've had it over 4 years now). And I liked the idea of getting a VROD until I rode one at the Harley store. That was almost another big mistake. Funny how specs, reviews and showroom sittings can be so misleading. I'm thinking I'm going to like the Brutale but we'll just have to see.

How does the 990 compare to a 1078? Is it close enough for a test ride to be of some benefit or will it just mislead me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 11:03 PM

Good Luck! I hope you love it!

As for the comparison, I dont know for sure, Ive only ridden my own 910R. But I do believe the general consensus is that the 1078 is raw and evil and the 990 is a bit more refined...

For me? 1078 all day, everyday.

John
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

So I wrote a long post last weekend and then accidentally erased everything when I tried to add photos. So here goes again - I'll be smarter and save stuff as I go along.

So I go to rent the 990 and the guy (sorry, I forget his name now) is nervous as can be. Poor guy! I guess I'd be that way if it was my bike too. But I did buy all the insurance and stuff. Anyway, it did make me wonder what in the world kind of monstrosity I was renting. Yeah, everybody on here talks about how the "Brutale" name is a reflection of the personality of the bike. Another guy went over the operation of the bike and I was asked (AGAIN, for like the 6th or 7th time) if I had operated a bike "like this" before. I'm 42 and pretty laid back. And I like to think I am reasonably intelligent looking (and acting, usually ). Just what were they so afraid of?

So finally the moment came and I headed down the road. And to my delight I found the 990 was the easiest to ride bike I think I have ever been on. The clutch engaged a little earlier than I am used to but the ergos were super and the bike handled fantastically at slow and higher speeds. The sound and feel of the bike was extra special - now I 'get' why everyone says it is the Ferrari of motorcycles. It feels exotic just cruising down the road. And the brakes are incredible. Yeah, I know the 1090 brakes are supposed to be better but the 990 brakes way better than my ZX-9R.

After 20 minutes or so, I came back to give my wife a ride. The rental guy came out and told me he "didn't feel comfortable" with that. Ok, no sweat. I just wanted to take her for a ride since I do virtually all my riding 2-up with her. Later, I struggled to try to put my experience into words.

I got rained on some and rode back to the store to wait out the storm. Then I went back out and rode the wet twisties. I went really slow when it was wet, though. No point in pushing my luck. When it was dry again I got on the throttle some. I kept the front wheel on the ground but tested it enough to feel that it had some umph available. I was there to see how much I did or didn't like the bike, not to try to see what it was capable of doing. The rental guy seemed so relieved when I returned the bike intact. I hate to think what he must be spending on blood pressure medicine.

The bike was so much fun that I was tempted to buy it. Thank goodness we needed to get back on the road so we could make it home at a decent hour. The trip accomplished what I hoped for - I wanted to find out if the Brutale was comfortable and if riding it would be everything I was expecting. And it was, except maybe I'd like it to have some more torque. You can never have enough power, right?

So now I am going to start looking for a 1078 to buy. Hopefully one that already has desirable upgrades like exhaust. My wife wouldn't understand buying an expensive bike like this and then wanting to spend more money upgrading it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:51 PM

So he was nervious huh? Maybe it was your snowmobile helmet?

j/k glad you liked it!

John
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:48 AM

Glad you liked it. But IMO the 1078 vs 990/1090 are different bikes especially in terms to comfort. Even the ride of the new brutales are suppose to be a lot smoother. You may want to check out the 1078 before you make a decision. Given a choice I would still go for the 1078 but thats just me.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
So he was nervious huh? Maybe it was your snowmobile helmet?

j/k glad you liked it!
Hmm, maybe that's why I got the helmet free with the ZX-9R?

Down here in Georgia we've never seen a snowmobile before, much less a helmet for one. Anyway, I ordered an Icon helmet day before yesterday.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Glad you liked it. But IMO the 1078 vs 990/1090 are different bikes especially in terms to comfort. Even the ride of the new brutales are suppose to be a lot smoother. You may want to check out the 1078 before you make a decision. Given a choice I would still go for the 1078 but thats just me.
That sounds great in theory, but where will I find a 1078 owner that is willing to offer test rides? The ergonomics are what I was most concerned about. The ZX-9R kills me on long rides because I am leaning forward so much. And with the Brutale I can switch handlebars to fine tune the position. Also, it had been a while since I had ridden a standard (naked, as they say) motorcycle so I wondered if maybe I was forgetting what the wind blast was like. I have a KLX650 (which I plan to get rid of soon) but it bounces around at highway speeds so much that it's hard to compare.

Feels like I have all the info I need to make a decision, though.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

I'm thinking about this one but I will have to ship it from California to Georgia:

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...078rr-99019322

Anyone know the cost of shipping that far? Doing a long distance transaction is a little worrisome.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
oldbutspry....all the Brutales have the same seating position...just the engine character and suspension bits that vary. Some (like my 910R) have adjustable footrests.

The good thing about the wind blast on a naked bike is that you KNOW when you are going too fast. I find the wind blast is not too bad up to around 85.....so it is a good thing, because I know when I need to slow down to keep from getting that big speeding ticket. On the track, when i am tucked down on a long straight, speeds upwards of 140 mph are not a problem.

When I get on a good full fairing sport bike I find myself doing "Go to Jail" speeds with out even realizing it.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode