an unscientific survey of dampners - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

an unscientific survey of dampners

For the first time I'm considering adding a STABILIZER / DAMPNER to a bike, and yes it's my Brutale 910. I've read an on forum comment, that sorting out the bike's suspension is priority #1, as a dampner only masks handling issues, and sure, I'll buy that!

My immediate concern is that the local road surfaces are dicey, the usual chuck holes, uneven surfaces, poor paving, and so on. Take it for granted that the towns / county have no funds to fix anything.

I had my bike sorted out recently, though the suspension could get only limited attention due to time constraints. Told at the time that my shock spring is too heavy for me, and should go lighter, and maybe have the inside shims mods done too. No time / money to dig deeper into it.

I called into FBF earlier today, in an effort to learn the rear shock spring rate for my weight. Immediately I'm reminded that the Brutale is a two place motorcycle, so it's easily sprung for more than I weigh. I ONLY ride solo, and @ 200 pounds, yup the spring could well be too stiff for me. MR F says I can manage by adjusting the pre load front and back, and offers dialing in advice to me.

So for right now, the suspension refinements are a work in progress, and with or without a suspension that's 100%, I'd like to ask WHICH dampner, SCOTTS or GPR4, is the top choice of most of you. I find that I ride the MV with more vigor, than any previous bike of mine, doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing

So Noneyet, named so because he had no MV Agusta in the garage when he joined the forum. Brutale 910 R has been sold, so now maybe he's "had one".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 10:01 PM

Matris mr3 or mr4
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:17 AM

+1 with Matris i have a MR4 on my Brutale 910R and its great min settings on the rd and then a coiuple of tweaks for the track, look at Carpimoto thats where i got mine from, and they look as sexy as hell and you can still see most of your bar clamp.

james
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:31 AM

New Site Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney 910R View Post
+1 with Matris i have a MR4 on my Brutale 910R and its great min settings on the rd and then a coiuple of tweaks for the track, look at Carpimoto thats where i got mine from, and they look as sexy as hell and you can still see most of your bar clamp.

james
Crikey James, that bike of your's is still one of my most favourite Brutie's.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:48 AM

Donsy, thanks very much you should see it in the flesh, i have just added some more bits and sson as we get some weather at the weekend i'll take some pictures, i must put some upto date ones in my gallery!!

Cheers

James
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:50 PM

I've used both Scotts and GPR before and will say for ease of use GPR really is simpler - one setting and they work very well. That being said I have had Scotts (because it was the best deal I found) on my last two bikes and I like them equally as well - they have two separate settings. The Matris are fine, they look really nice but price is higher and I have heard (right wrong or indifferent) that piston style dampers are subject to breakage in a fall and that rotary style will not break - not sure if thats even true but I prefer rotary dampers.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammp View Post
I've used both Scotts and GPR before and will say for ease of use GPR really is simpler - one setting and they work very well. That being said I have had Scotts (because it was the best deal I found) on my last two bikes and I like them equally as well - they have two separate settings. The Matris are fine, they look really nice but price is higher and I have heard (right wrong or indifferent) that piston style dampers are subject to breakage in a fall and that rotary style will not break - not sure if thats even true but I prefer rotary dampers.
Thanks SLAMP. Yes, the Matris are awfully pricey, and thing is, I'm not taking my 910 to the track. Scotts and GPR are essentially the same cost, and as I haven't heard a response from EZEPILOT as far as his mounting hardware, I'll need to buy the stabilizer and brackets.

So Noneyet, named so because he had no MV Agusta in the garage when he joined the forum. Brutale 910 R has been sold, so now maybe he's "had one".
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Al-

you can buy the mount directly from scotts now

2004 F4 SPR F4RR Corsacorta Powered
2006 Brutale 910S
2012 F4 RR
2012 F4 RR
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:31 PM

Noneyet.....

since you are relatively new, and you own a Brutie I will take it easy on you. Most brutie owners are a few bricks shy of a full load so I guess you cant help it.

its "damper" not "dampner"

Damper is the part or device that attenuates movement, etc..

Damp-n-er is result of foreplay with your special lady.

A gun is not a weapon. It's a tool, like a butcher's knife, or a harpoon, or an alligator.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:40 PM

LOL!! Here we go again..the age old "Damper vs Dampener" debate. Google those two words together and have some fun reading the results.

That being said..

The GPR V4 is a good damper(dampener?) and so is the Scotts/Ohlins. We like the Matris too but unfortunately no one has made a mounting kit for the Brutale and they seem to be difficult to source in the US. One advantage the GPR has over the others is that they come in a bunch of different colors.

Motovation is now on Facebook -

Last edited by Cazadore; 08-11-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode