handlebars'rus - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

handlebars'rus

I realized earlier today that I'd like to have wider bars(2-3"?) I do not want to lean any further forward, nor do I necessarily want any taller bar. My left hand rides out on the grip's end, and when I conform to the hand spacing the grips favor, well, I'm giving up more control than I'm comfortable with. Handlebar suggestions / pro's and con's / appreciated.

Alf

P.S. Possible to go wider, without adding longer cables, etc?

So Noneyet, named so because he had no MV Agusta in the garage when he joined the forum. Brutale 910 R has been sold, so now maybe he's "had one".

Last edited by noneyet; 07-31-2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: extra thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 05:28 AM
Established Member

One "trick" I have used with great success is to turn up a set of "extensions" to temporarily extend the length of the bars.

Say you want an extra 3 inches overall. Turn up two metal plugs, with two diameters. An inch or two In length, that is a snug fit on the inside diameter and 1.50 inches in length with an outside diameter equal to the existing handlebar.

With the extensions in place you can now slide your grips and controls outward and experiment with existing cable length, brake/clutch hose length, and clearance while turning the steering.

If you find that an extra inch per side is what you are after, then make up a permanent set of extensions that can either become a drive fit inside your existing bars or use Loctite #270 or #620 to secure the extensions.

Obviously, you will need to pull the steel roll pins out of the existing bars to allow the existing switches and levers to move, and you will need to bore the ends of your extensions to accommodate your bar end weights.

Find a friend with a lathe and keep your existing bars.

Best wishes,
Dick
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Al-

I had some Renthal dirtbike bars on my speedtriple just before I sold it. They (and other makers) make a lot of different widths/rises/sweeps. You should be able to find one that will make you happy, I am not sure about the cable lengths though. It will probably be tight on the hydraulic lines if nothing else.

2004 F4 SPR F4RR Corsacorta Powered
2006 Brutale 910S
2012 F4 RR
2012 F4 RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racasey View Post
One "trick" I have used with great success is to turn up a set of "extensions" to temporarily extend the length of the bars.

Say you want an extra 3 inches overall. Turn up two metal plugs, with two diameters. An inch or two In length, that is a snug fit on the inside diameter and 1.50 inches in length with an outside diameter equal to the existing handlebar.

With the extensions in place you can now slide your grips and controls outward and experiment with existing cable length, brake/clutch hose length, and clearance while turning the steering.

If you find that an extra inch per side is what you are after, then make up a permanent set of extensions that can either become a drive fit inside your existing bars or use Loctite #270 or #620 to secure the extensions.

Obviously, you will need to pull the steel roll pins out of the existing bars to allow the existing switches and levers to move, and you will need to bore the ends of your extensions to accommodate your bar end weights.

Find a friend with a lathe and keep your existing bars.

Best wishes,
Dick
Very interesting twist here, with an approach that I never knew existed. Thank you for sharing your ingenuity.

So Noneyet, named so because he had no MV Agusta in the garage when he joined the forum. Brutale 910 R has been sold, so now maybe he's "had one".
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 02:38 PM

Here's what I've found on the web

http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2006/07/br...tock-bars.html

74 Triumph Bonneville
06 Husqvarna Tc250
04 Mv Brutale 750

socal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode