wont turn off - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

wont turn off

I have a `06 910R which I bought new. It has been a fun bike and has 11K miles on it.
This past weekend I was on it and all was well. I pulled to the garage and shut it off with no prob.. A while later when I went to put it away the dash warning lites were on with the key off. They were floating between off& on. I then started it, one of the red lites remained on but it did start. When I turned it off it remained running, I had to kill it with the kill button.. Battery is disconnected now.
any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 03:56 PM

Just a guess but the key switch. The key should break the circuit, if the dash/engine etc is on and the key is off then the electricity is getting through the switch.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 04:00 PM

that would be the SPU. Service Power Unit, a common problem on pre-2006 bikes, 910's and 750's both. Very easy to replace on your own. All it requires is removing the little panel on the right side of the bike and unplugging the old one, then plugging in the new one.

Total time: less than 20 minutes
Total money: around $500 shipped to you

Check with the site sponsors, and MV dealers. I'll take some pics for you this evening if you want them.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights, while subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere - Colin Chapman

2004 Brutale 750S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe07 View Post
that would be the SPU. Service Power Unit, a common problem on pre-2006 bikes, 910's and 750's both. Very easy to replace on your own. All it requires is removing the little panel on the right side of the bike and unplugging the old one, then plugging in the new one.

Total time: less than 20 minutes
Total money: around $500 shipped to you

Check with the site sponsors, and MV dealers. I'll take some pics for you this evening if you want them.
thanks. Are there any tests I should do to 100% confirm?
what part of ohio are you in? I~m in cincinnati.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 PM

Pull all the fuses one by one. Put a small amount of dilectric grease on each and put them back in. Problem may go away -I had a similar issue with a blinker that would not go off and have had zero issues in over 1 yr.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 PM

a quick check would be to pull the spu out and see if it has any burn marks on the back. this is a sign that it is fried.

The last straw with mine was when the fuel pump wouldn't turn off.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights, while subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere - Colin Chapman

2004 Brutale 750S
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 PM

You can certainly try the approach slammp suggests, why not, if that fixes it it is much cheaper. But I would guess it is the spu in need of replacing.

There is nothing you can try that is 100% sure except replacing it with the new version.

I'm in the Lima area.

2004 Brutale 750S
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 10:14 AM

Anybody got a picture of one of these?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Al-

go out to your bike and pull off the ride side panel under the tank, take a picture with your EYES!!!

jk, but really it'll take 5 seconds to find it

2004 F4 SPR F4RR Corsacorta Powered
2006 Brutale 910S
2012 F4 RR
2012 F4 RR
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe07 View Post
You can certainly try the approach slammp suggests, why not, if that fixes it it is much cheaper. But I would guess it is the spu in need of replacing.

There is nothing you can try that is 100% sure except replacing it with the new version.

I'm in the Lima area.
I`ll investigate tonite. thanks again.
Not many great roads in the lima area, if you ever want to cross the river over into northern ky let me know. There are some delightfull roads down there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode