Seeking wisdom - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Seeking wisdom

Hi,

I am about to enter the hallowed realms of MV ownership and, as this is my first time, please be gentle.

I've had a passion for nakeds all my riding life and have, in the past 10 years, enjoyed the thrill of the Speed Tripple, the brashness of various Buells, the aggression of the Aprilla and most recently the bonkers Benelli TNT 1130 Cafe Racer.

Unfortunately my shoulders and wrists are knackered (too much shopping....and other things ) so I've had to pass on my beloved Benelli and look for something a little kinder to my body.

I fell in love with MV about 6 years ago when I test rode a 750 Brutale, but didn't take the plunge then as I felt I wanted more mid-range from a bike. I'm now in a position to indulge my fantasy and I am torn between the 989R and the new 920.

Please can you give me any guidance...and before you say it I can't run to a 990R.

I love the look of the 989 and at the moment they're a bit of a bargain.....what do I need to be aware of? If I buy a second hand one are Pirelli Corsas or Diablos best??? I also like the 920, it's planted and confidence inspiring, I took one out for a couple of hours over the weekend in a monsoon and I was sticking it into corners I would never have dreamed of taking like that on the Benelli in the rain......and that was without the TC on(still not convinced about the need for that). Obviously early days for this model but your words of wisdom are most welcome.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Established Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joanne
owned all three of them bikes 990r long story!!!!, 989r went to europe on , no problems great bike and i got knackered wrists as well, lol.
currently piloting the 920 in white, did'nt fancy the black. loving it hanldes great plenty of power.

i think a people might disagree with me ?
I didn't want to part with my 989R great bike and when i part -x'd it for 990R was almost disappointed for a bit. but then it grew on me until it packed up, ( long story)
the 989R lost the headlight glass once and was loose again when i sold it. the engine breaking was a lot more it rode more like a v-twin.the clocks when dated, but it had attitude. !
the 990r and 920 has got the new headlight, cool bulbs with mv on them, the better clocks, traction control. it's just a more refined machine and i feel it handles better where as the 989r could be a bit of a beast.
like i said i'm no expert but i've owed 5 brutale's, 750,910,989r,990r 920. so my humble opinion may count?

p.s. which one was my favourite?

It's all very funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Yay, another girlie

Thanks Jo for the advice and experience...wow, respect!

There's no denying the 920 is a beautifully refined bike and I did love it, but I'm wondering if the 989R might give me that raw challenge I loved in the Buells and Benelli. I'm off to see a couple on Saturday and hope to be able to test ride a 989R then.

So go on......what was your fav????

Last edited by Brown Eyes; 07-20-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Established Member

i gotta admit i'm loving the 920 at the moment. !!
i owed a buell the xb9, good bike bright yellow.
don't for get the ktm's i had the 990 duke, depends on your hight though, i'm bit of a short arse at 5'4' so struggle with that.
always fancied the benelli but herd to many horror stories.
how long you been riding( bit cheeky i know! but just wondering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

I had a bright yellow Buell XB9S too...called her Beryl the Yellow Peril.

I've riden the KTM Duke (I'm 5'8") but I still didn't feel comfortable as I didn't have the weight and the preload couldn't be adjusted enough so I was still on tippy toes and as I've got a (twice) broken knee it's not ideal.

I've been riding since I was 21 but only took my full test 10 years ago.....I'm making up for it now ;-)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Established Member

cool being riding since a nipper,mainly off road following my dad who was a motor-cross rider. took test 17 been at it since. ( 23 years) god i'm old!!!. any how babe i gotta go to bed now(old). let me know how you get on.
what time you going to bikers world sat might me up for a coffee?

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:48 PM

I come from years and years of sporbikes and i recently got a 910R and all i can say is that i'm totally inlove with the thing
Never rode the new Bruties but from what i have read they are more civilized and lost a bit of character and built quality.
I would get a previous Brutale model over the new ones any day, they're just a timless classic.
And why don't you consider a 910R? As long as it's Euro3 with low mileage you can't go wrong.
The 989R is kind of the end of the line and is less refined thant a 910R (no superlight wheels and lower spec brakes i think)
Anyway good luck on your decision
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 11:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
which Brutale?

Brown Eyes;
Brutale 910R '08, bought it 7 weeks ago, put about 2,300mi on it! so far

most fun bike i ever had, including my insane RD-350.....and that's a BIG statement for me

like MV-999R, i came from years of sport bikes, so the wind is kind of different, to say the least, because i ride the tank to load the front end, which makes my seating position very verticle, guess i need to side my ass back or change the bars

started riding at 8, so that makes it 55 years.....still a kid, never had a ball and chain

get a Brutale 910R, the '08 has the new IAW 5SM ECU too

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Big Randaddy

Brownie: Noel knows what he's talking about. I too own a 910R. I'm on my third Brutie, and I'm extremely happy with my 910R. Most, but certainly not all of us, think the older Brutie is better looking, and more 'focused' than the newer versions.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advise. I've had a look at post '08 910R's but they're as rare as rocking horse poo over here at the moment.....there's a couple of '06 but I wanted a bit newer than that. There's one unregistered one left in the country but they want STUPID money for that!

I'm off on my hunt on Saturday, can't wait, will see what I can find around the country and hopefully come away with a decision......exciting!!!!! Really looking forward to being part of the MV family.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode