when, not if - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Exclamation when, not if

we all've heard it. do we ride by it?

june 10, 2011, 10pm. my when. info for you guys, just to keep in tune with my community. i was merging from a park service rd (spout run drive, northern virginia) onto george wash pkwy to go home when i came onto large debris on the road, just over a hill's crest. From a witness account, the bike hit the debris, skipped a few feet into the air, and landed into the curb, front tire first. i flew off at abt 30mph (50kmh) into the woods, slamming into a sign, a guardrail, and a million trees and forest creatures, 40 linear feet (13 meters) of them.

last thing i remember before slipping into a 2.5 week coma was the us park service logo on the police car. i was trying to walk home at that point, after recalling my name but not birthdate, apparently.

passenger fine, just a few nicks on the arms (she rolled off - thank god), bike working fine, just broken turn signals and oil cooler, missing mirrors.

as for me, broken and displaced left arm (radius), coma, brain swelling, broken jaw, mouth wired shut for two weeks, 1 month in hosp, four months of blood thinners here out to safeguard from a pulmonary embolism (giant bloodclot) i received from being in a freezer for a week (hosp grade pneumonia), 11kgs less weight from muscle atrophy, head lacerations from helmet impact, nerve damage in right foot (another hospital treat - stay out of them if you can) just generally feel beat up by a tree army. barely pulled through, but few more months to solid recovery.

i am lucky to walk (getting back to normal), talk, think normally, if not a little weakly. i have always been an extra careful rider, just goes to show the unexpected can always happen.

please, all, be safe, enjoy the ride and the life.

peter

Last edited by two_daily; 08-14-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 07:07 PM

Holy shit, my friend you are very lucky to still be here. All the best with your recovery.

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life" #58

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 07:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to shahhm
Glad you're ok

Glad you're ok my friend. Sad to hear about the damage to your body and the bike...but hopefully you'll make a speedy recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 PM
JWA
Established Member

Wow - I'm glad that you're recovering and that your passenger was ok.

As I was winding out the Mito through sixth gear today I happened to look down at the pavement flying past me and suddenly my knees protected in nothing but jeans felt very vulnerable. In light of that and seeing your story I'm going to go find something better right now...
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Established Member

As you said, "the unexpected can always happen" and I confess I am afraid of this.

Thank God you're alive. Best wishes for you, buddy!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 09:25 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Quite a story. Heal quickly and well.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

All the best with your future recovery, may it be complete. Thank you for sharing your story.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 09:40 PM

It's only an eye blink away, glad to hear your still with us, physically and mentally. Admin would not be happy to lose a son, heal well brother.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 PM

Dang

Scary, I hate stories like this, glad you are recovering.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 12:05 AM

+1 on the recovery and glad to see you still have all your faculties!! Do you think ABS and traction control would have had a different outcome?? Food for thought thats all.

James

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode