Brakes issue (910S with upgraded master) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Al-

Brakes issue (910S with upgraded master)

Recently i "upgraded" my brake master cylinder to a Beringer radial setup. The masters are a 20.5mm bore with a 14mm leverage offset. I know this means that they will require more travel than the normal type of 19x18 brembo, and i'm ok with that, the feel is great.

my problem is that there is a lot of dead space before the brakes start to grab. I am fairly confident that I have bled the brakes sufficiently using motul RF600 fluid. I've done all the tricks short of using a compressor to force fluid upwards from the bottom and its still the same. I'd say its about 50% travel before i get anything, and then threshold at speed (just about hearing the front chirp) is about one cm before the lever hits the grip. The feel and modulation at this point is superb btw

This is a concern as I am generally a 2 finger braker, and I have to move my other 2 fingers out of the way as not to sandwich them between the lever and the grip before getting any significant braking. When I am rolling backwards out of my driveway, there seems to be almost no brakes at all until the lever is quite close to the grip, but then i pull out and move forward, it bites in a different place. Wondering if I might have an issue with my calipers.

This range of motion is nothingif not consistent, though it is consistently bad IMO. I am also using the radial to standard double banjo adapter fitting from hel, i dunno if that could be part of the problem too. I am at the stage now where I am close to putting the stock master back on until I can get the whole radial caliper setup with new stainless lines. I didn't care for the stock feel either, but at least the travel wasn't so excessive.

2004 F4 SPR F4RR Corsacorta Powered
2006 Brutale 910S
2012 F4 RR
2012 F4 RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Al-

rebuilt the calipers today, seems to be very fixed. 5 out of 6 pistons on each caliper were sluggish

2006 Brutale 910S
2012 F4 RR
2012 F4 RR
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 11:30 PM

New Site Garage
Question

Not sure here, could it be because you are using Radial M/C on non Radial brake calipers ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Al-

not sure, i'll wring it out a bit tomorrow and see for sure. I'm thinking that the problem with the calipers was amplified once i put on the radial master. especially with a 14mm lever offset, i could feel the problem more so than with the stock master which didn't give me much feel at all.

2006 Brutale 910S
2012 F4 RR
2012 F4 RR
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 04:05 AM

New Site Garage
Question

Pretty sure the 14mm does not give you enough volume, they are usualy used for single disc models like motards etc. Why did you go to such a small stroke model ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Al-

Because the bore is 20.5mm, that is what beringer recommends for dual 4s and 6s. It's the biggest one they make

2006 Brutale 910S
2012 F4 RR
2012 F4 RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode