quality control - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

quality control

i remember the very first time i ever seen a mv agusta, it was at a show in U S i could not beleave my eyes, in my opinion it was the nicest motorcycle i have ever seen, i drewled over it. i never in my life thought i would ever own one of those beautiful motorcycles. check it out i have a 1090rr with 9000 mi on it. i get looks where ever i go. now i am hearing all this stuff about build quality and problems. whats going on guys? feed back please. PS i love my bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 12:07 AM

Build quality on every MV i have ever seen has been great.

For those that dont think its great, go check a Hyosung.

Perspective is everything.

John
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:50 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
Problem is that you haven't seen em all, why don't you ask mikef4uk about the 1000R he had and you may realize why he has now got a BMW.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adecritten View Post
Problem is that you haven't seen em all, why don't you ask mikef4uk about the 1000R he had and you may realize why he has now got a BMW.

Well, I cant blame him for the BMW, those are wonderful machines.

And of course I have not seen them all. They are rare birds indeed. Ive owned 3, and seen a handfull of others. Much better fit and finish and quality parts than your average motorcycle.

As far as mikef4uk, Im sure some have been made on a friday at 3 o'clock just before quitting time for the weekend.

John
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

changeing bikes

MIKE F4uk lets here it. what do you have to say about all this? now a bmw owner. give us some feed back on your experence with MV s that you have owned,
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:

you mean there is no HYOSUNG motorcycles in the Gps this Year? what a drag!!!!!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Just look at the welds....then go look at the seagull turds that Ducati calls welds....or a Harley.

Ask Randy what he thinks about current BMW build quality...he just got a Kawasaki Concours to replace his late model Beemer (a Kawi with better QA then BMW ????)

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modobigdog View Post
MIKE F4uk lets here it. what do you have to say about all this? now a bmw owner. give us some feed back on your experence with MV s that you have owned,
Ok:
MV750F4, early 2000 bike, about the 5th into the UK (I had my deposit down in 2008) faultless build quality, bike had two recalls, one for valve buckets, one for fuel sender. IMHO build quality 100%

MV1000S, Refused bike on collection due to LH panel MV Agusta badge being about 25mm (honest) out of true to the top of the panel, lots of little bits (like cable guides on top of twist grip etc) not as good quality as the 750, very thin flappy fairings. IMHO build quality compared to 750 80%

MV1000R, again a real general deterioration in little bits, as an e.g. the rear subframe was no longer anodized and if you rubbed your finger on it your finger would go silver! IMHO build quality compared to my 750, 65%

But the main thing was the engine, I do all my own work, I checked the valve clearance at about 1000miles:

There was a 'spare' allen bolt lying around stuck down the side of the altyernator

Every clearance was 0.1mm bigger than it should be, at first we thought it was due to the different cams in the 1000R, but it wasn't, it was just poor build:

Look at the ex cam picture, that is the phase lobe for the new ecu, it's rusty!

I found some odd crap in next to the cam. looks like hair?

One of the 'O' rings was split, I guess that cylinder sucked some crap in before I found it.

One of the clips around the rubber inlet tracts was hanging off.

Look at the butterfly picture, that with the throttle at 100%, nothing a file taken to the stop didn't fix, but not right.

Overall I loved all my MV's, but the build quality appears worse with each new model, My mate has a 2010 F4, he has had two sets of fairing due to the reflective heat tape falling off, an oil leak out of the LH 'F4' cover that pokes through the fairing caused by the two halves of the cranckcases not lining up (fixed with a file), and an oil leak out of the filler plug on the clutch housing.

The BMW? the build quality and attention to detail isn't great, the bike is a real good ride and I like it a lot, would I fall in love with it like my MV's? nah! I doubt it very much, it pulls different strings

Would I buy another MV?.....................YES, but not the current F4, maybe the F3 if they enlarge the motor in the coming years, or if the F4 ever takes the looks of the F3
Attached Images

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mikef4uk; 06-24-2011 at 09:43 AM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:

In fairness Hyosung are aiming at a different market sector and price range

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef4uk View Post
In fairness Hyosung are aiming at a different market sector and price range
+1. Apples to oranges.

Mike

2008 Brutale 910s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode