Bought a 910S this weekend, have some concerns - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Bought a 910S this weekend, have some concerns

I bought a 2006 910S this past Friday, and then I spent the next two days blasting around all my favorite backroads. Compared to my previous bike (SV650) this thing is an absolute beast and I am loving it! But I did experience a couple of annoying issues though that I hope you guys can help me out on:

1) The throttle is VERY touchy making it very difficult to smoothly roll-on coming out of a turn. I got better at it the more I rode but it's still pretty annoying. Is there anything I can do about this?
2) The locks really suck. They keys I got with the bike start the bike just fine, but that's it. When trying to engage the steering lock or pop off the pillion, it takes soooo much jiggling to get it to work that I just don't bother. I'm not sure if there's even anything I can do about it, but the cheap lock cylinders just seem out of place on such an expensive bike. Anybody else experience this?
3) The headlight is not securely attached to the bike and shakes around pretty badly. The lens is securely glued to the 'middle' black plastic piece, but there is a lot of play between the 'middle' piece and the headlight bucket itself. And I can't figure out how to take the headlight off to fix it (is there a service manual PDF floating around here somewhere?). The two hex mounting bolts on the sides only rotate a 1/4 turn in either direction.
4) The bars are really buzzy, even at cruising RPM. Is there a fix for this (extra heave barends maybe) or is this just the nature of the beast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:21 AM

1) Remove one of two return springs. Helps a little.
2) Push the pillion down while turning the key.
3) Something's wrong with your Headlight...take it off and figure out what's wrong immediately. You do not want it to break...or your looking at at $400-$500 replacement!!!
4) Motovation sells barends which help slightly. Also installing a slightly smaller rear sprocket also helps.

Bike History:
'88 Ninja 250 > '92 GSXR-600 > '01 YZF-R1 > '06 Brutale + '07 Customized VTX-1300

Last edited by dumbcomputers; 06-20-2011 at 10:44 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbcomputers View Post
1) Remove one of two return springs. Helps a little.
2) Push the pillion down while turning the key.
3) Something's wrong with your Headlight...take it off and figure out what's wrong immediately. You do not want it to break...or your looking at at $400-$500 replacement!!!
4) Motovation sells barends which help slightly. Also installing a slightly smaller rear sprocket also helps.
1) What springs are you talking about? I assumed this was mainly a problem with the fueling, would a Power Commander help at all?
2) No dice, I tried jiggling/pushing/cursing and it's just a huge PITA to get it to work. Are shitty locks a common problem on these bikes?
3) How do you remove it? Like I said I tried taking out the two mounting hex bolts but they wouldn't come out. It felt like something would snap if I forced them. It sucks not having a service manual
4) That's what I was thinking. I have motovation barends on my SV and they do a decent job of controlling the vibrations. I guess I'll order another set for the Brut, but I was hoping somebody sold a Brutale specific set that did a better job than the generics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Your bike will benefit from a Power commander and proper mapping at a DynoJet tuning center (don't just use the PC III standard maps.) Other then that...yep, it's a light weight flywheel that responds quickly to throttle. Not at all like your SV. Takes getting used to.

Your key may be a recut. Is it the stock key? Pushing down on the pillion is important (also make DAMN sure it is latched when you put it back on...you have been notified ). Try some lock lubricant (graphite base) in the ignition switch.

Take out the two bolts on either side of the headlight and unplug it. There is a screw from the back side in the bottom and a tab at the top. You'll figure it out. I ran some thing weather strip foam around the perimeter to snug mine up against vibration, but it was never really "loose". Some manuals are available here: http://my.agusta.us/

The Motovations weighted bar ends make a big difference in vibes (on my bike anyway). I also installed SuperBike Gel grips. Hand doesn't go numb nearly as fast as it used to.

Enjoy your bike...lot's a great folks and helpful advise here.

Oh yeah...do NOT over tighten the chain or over tighten the rear hub pinch bolts.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 01:27 PM

And keep and eye on the headlight glass.....it has been known to come off. It can be a pricey replacement if you lose it.

Mike

2008 Brutale 910s
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 PM

tokesSV,

The throttle has 2 return springs, 1 on each side of the throttle body banks. On the left side you can see it between the frame tubes. While looking there, twist the throttle a few times, you will see it turn. That spring you can disconnect. Just unhook it, super simple and easy. There are no adverse effects. Ive dont this on all 3 MV's Ive had. It will make your right hand much happier.

John
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 07:15 PM

New Site Garage
Hey TokesV - welcome to the family....a couple of comments

1) The throttle is VERY touchy making it very difficult to smoothly roll-on coming out of a turn. I got better at it the more I rode but it's still pretty annoying. Is there anything I can do about this?
- take your time to get used to the throttle response - I'd suggest just being more patient as it's a completely different feel to the SV650 & SV1000...you've only had the bike a short while so just give yourself some time & hrs on the bike

2) The locks really suck. They keys I got with the bike start the bike just fine, but that's it. When trying to engage the steering lock or pop off the pillion, it takes soooo much jiggling to get it to work that I just don't bother. I'm not sure if there's even anything I can do about it, but the cheap lock cylinders just seem out of place on such an expensive bike. Anybody else experience this?
- I found the same with mine when I first got my bike....it was simply a matter of more use....if the bikes been essentially sitting around for 5 years, then it will get smoother with time and feel

3) The headlight is not securely attached to the bike and shakes around pretty badly. The lens is securely glued to the 'middle' black plastic piece, but there is a lot of play between the 'middle' piece and the headlight bucket itself. And I can't figure out how to take the headlight off to fix it (is there a service manual PDF floating around here somewhere?). The two hex mounting bolts on the sides only rotate a 1/4 turn in either direction.
- refer to www.myagusta.us

4) The bars are really buzzy, even at cruising RPM. Is there a fix for this (extra heave barends maybe) or is this just the nature of the beast?
- the rubber lock grommets that hold your bar-ends in may not be tightened or have been over tightened (they may need to be replaced), take them out and re-insert but also make sure you have 2mm gap between the acccelerator grip and the start of the bar end (this may be causing a sticking problem with the throttle too )

cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it! Coming here, I thought that everybody would just tell me to take the bike to the dealer for every little thing, but I'm glad to find that the MV community is more hands-on than I expected. Being a DIY guy myself, that's very welcome

Anyway, I took apart my headlight and found the reason why it was loose. The top tab that holds the light to the bucket is broken. I'm going to have to get some plastic epoxy and jury-rig something up (unless there's a better option?). Thankfully the lens itself is securely glued on but I'll have to remember to check it periodically. I'm also getting better with the keys, I found the 'sweet spot' on the locks where they work with just the right touch. Still a PITA but bearable at least. And I'll have to try the return spring trick this w/e. I still have a couple more questions though..

- What do you guys think about the Motovation frame sliders? Has anybody crash tested these? They look solid enough but they bolt into the cylinder head it seems which could warp the casting/strip the thread in a crash. Does anybody make 'straight-thru' sliders for the Brutale?
- Any recommendations on a good shop to do the 10K mile service and/or dyno-tuning around Northern NJ?

I took a 'family photo' this past weekend. The Brutale and the orange SV650 are mine, the silver SV650, Ninja 250 () and S4 are my brother's.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I haven't tested any frame sliders, but I do know that the ones that bolt to the frame at the cylinder head bolt are the most popular and in the right location...just be sure the bolt isn't too long. I have seen one that the bolt bottomed out into the cylinder head and punctured the water jacket!!!

No help on NJ dealers either, but FBF is outside Philly.

Nice family pic...I have a SV650 I do track days with...great bike!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 03:08 PM

Northern NJ? Take the bike to ECS
http://www.europeancycleservices.com/Directions.htm
Steve is a certified MV mechanic and one of the best and knows all the specific issues of the 910s 'cause he fixes mine!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode