Rear bearing failure - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to wheeliegeezer
Rear bearing failure

Need some help. Yesterday took my recently acquired 06 910S for only the second major ride. It has 11k miles on the clocks. Rolled up a hundred or so fairly quick miles and pulled in for a break. When I got back on and headed home, the rear started wobbling noticeably. I pulled over and grabbed the wheel and the thing rocked back and forth about a half inch, clearly bearing failure. at the speeds I was just riding, it might have been very ugly indeed. I had read these bearings were weak in early models. Now the question: can I repair it myself if no other damage has been done? I called Fay Myers in Denver (6 hours away) and they said don't attempt it, bring it in. The parts guys said I had to order some $900 bearing package with all the necessary bits from MV. Sounds sketchy. Anyone had this failure and how did it come out and can it be done in my garage or not?
Wobbly in Taos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 02:17 PM
There are lots of threads on this subject here, try contacting Noel (the knurl) he has some modified hub assemblies for sale. It's fairly straightforward to remove the hub if you are reasonably efficient with spanners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...…..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 02:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
rear hub?

wheeliegeezer;
yeah they're trying to sell you the "updated hub and axle" that has 2 needle bearings in it and a ball bearing that has less capacity than the one that just failed

as long as the snap ring groove is still there you can fix it for $34 + postage

remove the hub and inspect the damage 1st.....haven't heard of a needle bearing going bad yet but you never know

here is where the bearings come from;
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...rear+hub+parts

here is most of the procedure'
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...t=39392&page=2

the part about removing the bearing wasn't included

remove the Seeger ring with a sharp scribe and tap the old bearing out from the other side
heat the hub with a hot air gun, chill the bearing and drop it in
relube the needle bearing, put some waterproof on the axle and the end of the new bearing and back together it goes

if you want a hub that won't fail PM me;
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39392

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 09-28-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 03:21 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
$900? I'm in the wrong business.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
wheeliegeezer,sorry to hear about the failure,this is the average mileage they seem to fail.My redesigned hub will not fail and is cheaper than the MV unit,just PM me and I will answer any questions you have,Mitch.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to wheeliegeezer
bearing failed

Mitch,
thanks for the concern and offer. I am trying to decide if this is a long termer or just a summer fling. I talked to Knurl about your upgrade too. If I was racing, there'd be no question. I think for now I'm going to replace with stock from CRG and keep my eye on it regularly. If I do decide to stay with an MV I will PM you for your upgrade.
Ciao',
Andy
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
No worries Andy,Mitch.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 12:24 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
18k miles on mine, no problems....knock on wood. They don't ALL fail. Get Mitchy's redesign...looks good.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 AM

Bad luck mate, if we bought a new car and the wheel bearings went in the first six months of driving.... the car manufacturer would soon be out of business!!!

I don't know why we put up with it!!

These MVs are more than the average car out here!!!

MV Agusta 1000S 1+1 (2004); Suzuki GSXR 600 (2005); Honda CB750; Honda CB175; BSA 350 (1939) ;
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:43 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
esqzme,I apreciate your comment it means alot to me and gazman thats why I just had to do something about the failures that MV does not recognise,come on MV wake up,you produce fantastic motorcycles that are worth alot of money and you put a crappy bearing in the rear hub that fails,Mitch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode