race ecu installed today - MVAgusta.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
eddypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: brisbane
Posts: 3,493
race ecu installed today

well at 11 am today my 1078 brutale race ecu arrived,decided then to take the day off,installed the new ecu,biggest headache removing the tank by my self,any way, all done now.my setup is arrow mid pipe only,standard headers and pipes,with a pc5 onboard,everything absolutely smooth ,actually as smooth as a speed triple which my mate owns or street triple which sits next to my girl in the garage.
It idles at1600 rpm I would like to get this down to about 1250 to 1300rpm,this will be sorted out when i have my dyno which is due very shortly.No real problem at the moment.wow, if this is what you can achieve with this setup makes me wonder what the microtec can do,maybe that can be my next project.

HAPPY MAN NOW
eddypro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Rob_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 988
Thumbs up

Sounds good to me Eddy

I run a Microtec on my bike, and I have always been curious to compare against a set up with the PC5 an all....

Swap you rides, when we go for one, if your game
Rob_b is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 AM
Senior Member
 
MV-999R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,384
Nice!
But 16000 rpm idle is way too high
MV-999R is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Senior Member
 
firedancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 890
to correct the high idle speed, you probably just have
to reset the tps. this is easily achieved with the correct
software speaking to your ECU (VDST). every MV agusta
dealer has this software and it is not more than 2 min job.

Last edited by firedancer; 06-06-2011 at 05:22 AM.
firedancer is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
eddypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: brisbane
Posts: 3,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_b View Post
Sounds good to me Eddy

I run a Microtec on my bike, and I have always been curious to compare against a set up with the PC5 an all....

Swap you rides, when we go for one, if your game
hang on ,I am not that old ? am I, It would be great to compare the bikes,but I would like to get the dyno done first, we will have to meet up shortly,dnyo is booked in for the 20/july at ozracing at carina ,I understand he is good.yep 2 days before I turn 50 but I am still fast,might struggle with your bike ,it looks like a back and wrist breaker: lol
cheers eddy
eddypro is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
eddypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: brisbane
Posts: 3,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedancer View Post
to correct the high idle speed, you probably just have
to reset the tps. this is easily achieved with the correct
software speaking to your ECU (VDST). every MV agusta
dealer has this software and it is not more than 2 min job.
ok,thanks for the info,now my problem is there is know one in brisbane that has the correct software to do this,which means I will have to ride all the way down to nerang to have this done 3 hour round trip,does anyone know of any free software that can do this and the correct lead to hook up to the brutale 1078.there must be some guys on this site with the knowledge.
eddypro is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
eddypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: brisbane
Posts: 3,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedancer View Post
to correct the high idle speed, you probably just have
to reset the tps. this is easily achieved with the correct
software speaking to your ECU (VDST). every MV agusta
dealer has this software and it is not more than 2 min job.
Hi firedancer,I was just thinking about this ,could you not just adjust the throttle bodies to lower the rpm range down to 1250 to 1300 rpm
Am i way of here.any thoughts please
eddypro is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 115
My experience using the Microtec ECU from XBikes on my 1078 was to retard the timing at closed throttle to lower the idle. One of the additional problems with the Brutale's TPS is that it tends to drift up as the bike gets hot. I realized this when monitoring the engine in my garage. I saw the reported degrees open rise from 2.3 to 2.5 with a closed throttle as the bike heated. Chris at XBikes has reported this in other threads. This manifests itself by a rising idle at operating temperature. To combat this, I made the advance in the 1000 and 1500 cells in the 2.3 TP row very close (1 degree apart) to the 1000 and 1500 cells in the 3.0 TP row. I did not do this with the injection as well but may mess with that in the future.
When I got the idle around 1200 I was satisfied but was disappointed to find that upon a cold startup, the bike idled like shit around 900-1000 and would even stall. It was still good at operating temp. My solution so far is not a perfect one but it works. The Microtec has an ability to alter timing vs water temperature. I added a full 15 degrees of advance until the engine gets close to operating temperature. This puts the engine at about 1350 rpm until it warms up which usually only takes a few minutes and then the idle settles down.
One thing that I also noticed initially before my adjustments were made was that the idle was very unsteady. I observed the timing jumping all over by maybe 3 degrees or more. This is partly caused by the TPS drifting as it heats up and also by having big jumps in timing between adjascent cells in the 1000 and 1500 rpm cells and the 2.3 and 3 throttle positions. Once I made these close the idle smoothed out.
My mapping is still a work in progress. I'm willing to share any of my findings.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 BSA 650 Lightning cafe' racer - sold to my insurance agent.
2006 Buell XB12Ss
2007 KTM 300XCW (e)
2008 Buell 1125r - Gone but not forgotten.
2009 Brutale 1078RR

The older I get, the faster I was.........
JerseyGuy is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Senior Member
 
firedancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypro View Post
Hi firedancer,I was just thinking about this ,could you not just adjust the throttle bodies to lower the rpm range down to 1250 to 1300 rpm
Am i way of here.any thoughts please

so reseting the TPS was all i needed to do, when i
installed the Corse Race ECU on a F4 1078 312 RR.
so i cant help you with adjusting the throttle bodies.
(in addition i quickly switched to the microtec ECU)

but why spoiling some nice factory settings in your
throttle bodies, for adjusting something, which is
designed to be set electronically? it will be a nightmare
to adjust it back to standard once you decide to change
the ECU.

some experts here can may explain how standard the
VDST system is on other motorcyle brands and whether
any motorcycle dealer can reset your tps.

Last edited by firedancer; 06-06-2011 at 10:13 AM.
firedancer is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Senior Member
 
firedancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy View Post
My experience using the Microtec ECU from XBikes on my 1078 was to retard the timing at closed throttle to lower the idle. One of the additional problems with the Brutale's TPS is that it tends to drift up as the bike gets hot. I realized this when monitoring the engine in my garage. I saw the reported degrees open rise from 2.3 to 2.5 with a closed throttle as the bike heated. Chris at XBikes has reported this in other threads. This manifests itself by a rising idle at operating temperature. To combat this, I made the advance in the 1000 and 1500 cells in the 2.3 TP row very close (1 degree apart) to the 1000 and 1500 cells in the 3.0 TP row. I did not do this with the injection as well but may mess with that in the future.
When I got the idle around 1200 I was satisfied but was disappointed to find that upon a cold startup, the bike idled like shit around 900-1000 and would even stall. It was still good at operating temp. My solution so far is not a perfect one but it works. The Microtec has an ability to alter timing vs water temperature. I added a full 15 degrees of advance until the engine gets close to operating temperature. This puts the engine at about 1350 rpm until it warms up which usually only takes a few minutes and then the idle settles down.
One thing that I also noticed initially before my adjustments were made was that the idle was very unsteady. I observed the timing jumping all over by maybe 3 degrees or more. This is partly caused by the TPS drifting as it heats up and also by having big jumps in timing between adjascent cells in the 1000 and 1500 rpm cells and the 2.3 and 3 throttle positions. Once I made these close the idle smoothed out.
My mapping is still a work in progress. I'm willing to share any of my findings.

very nice write up

i had similar problems with the change in the
tps with temperature and a unstable idle.
firedancer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome