Another Stalling / Shut off issue 2006 Brutale 910s - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Another Stalling / Shut off issue 2006 Brutale 910s

Well I have my bike up and running, it idles great!
Innitially when I took it out, it ran and drove great. Now it stalls a LOT. If left at idle, it'll warm up, and when it gets in the high 180's it'll do a very slight "studder", where it seems like it might be a battery or electrical issue, and then abruptly die.
The bike will also die when coming to a stop, at lower RPM's. Will
cruise on the highway without dying.

I have done a lot of reading and I'd love any additional imput. It seems like this is a fairly common issue with this year.

#1- Check TPS- Mine is in the original stock place.. perhaps adjusting this will raise my idle and prevent it from dying?

#2 New Spark plugs

#3 Get a power commander?

#4 Adjust Throttle boddies

I would like to know how how to determine is this is an electrical, spark, or fuel issue that is causing the bike to shut off. Any additional insight or help would be greatly appreciated. I dont know of anyone in my area that could "tune."

Apprecaite any help!
Thanks guys
Dan-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 07:47 PM

ok my own personal 2 cents. I have a Power Commander with an Arrow thunder exhaust (custom mapped) and it still does this occasionally - not enough to be a concern. I have read that iridium plugs and not adjusting the throttle bodies (but pulling the boots and greasing them) to prevent any leaking will do the trick. I would advise you try these two steps first as they are very cost effective and if it does not fix the problem you are only out about $11 bucks for the plugs.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 PM

Check the 4 little vacuum plugs, [2 on each side] protruding out of the frame below the gas tank. On my 07 they were getting dry rotted and was stalling. Replaced and it quit stalling.

07 Brutale' 910R Arrow Thunder, PCIII,Ferracci chip, CRG mirrors,levers. Scotts, Motovation sliders.
O6 Yamaha FZ1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys, I will definetly start with these suggestions!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 01:55 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Ok so i got an 06 910s i recently got, and its doing this same thing. It has 11k miles on it and just started doing it. Its really buggin me and i dont know were to start. Maybe start with changing the plugs? Any advice will help thanks!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Established Member

When I first got my 06 I had the stall problem also..... While I had the tank off, I did a couple of simple things that seems to have fixed it for 6K miles now.

- cleaned the plastic intake stack little holes.
- took off the SPU (on the right side under the seat) removed one fuse at a time and sprayed well with
WD40 including all the connectors.
- greased the tops of the intake boots before putting the tank back on.
- I also try to trickle charge the night before I ride.

good luck and don't let it get you down! Some have replaced the Service Power Unit (SPU) with very good results.

MikeC

MikeCgaz
2006 910S Brutale MV Agusta waaa hooo
2002 916 S4 Ducati Monster
2003 BMW F650GS
2003 Honda XR200

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 02:52 AM

Ditto here...

Currently working closely with Trooper Lu's Garage to cross off all potential issues one by one, as this seems to be a recurring issue across MVs.

I'm a rider
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 04:03 AM
Site Sponsor

Yeah guys some real little gremlins here. Lots of little things seem to have an impact. Have had a couple recently and resolved alll but one so far (Yeap thats you Mr Wryt!!!) Nothing I can even suggest off the top of my head. Feal trims and setting spark advance on diagnostic tool helps alot of you still have the O2 sensor, if no O2 sensor then set fuel trim with Co meter. Then balance throttle bdies. Make sure the CO is checked in the header, then engine is warm and is between 3.5 and 4.00. This is pretty important. You can then also take the bleed crews out to about 2 turns is nice, then set the trim on diagnostic tool to reach your required co level.

I have had good results with this method. Those bungs on the side - man really importnat and not to be overlooked.

Hops this helps in some way.
j
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 09:44 AM

also, something as simple as a dirty air filter can cause stalling. check the easy stuff first!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Established Member

When I first got my bike (750) it had this issue. Over a few months of messing with unrelated stuff, it stopped for a while. The items I "messed with" were the replacement of the air filter, clean-up of throttle bodies and changed oil. It stopped solidly until recently when I went out for a long ride in the mountains, etc where it started happening again.

It honestly seems like a ecu "bug" to me. I know there has been a ton of discussion here but my gut feeling is some sort of miscalculation of the ECU from specific environmental conditions. Perhaps incorrectly reading air density or timing. I remember when I first got the bike, it liked doing it when the air was hot outside. This last time when it started briefly again, I was at a much higher altitude and it was a particularly warm day.

That being said, I have no real work experience in the field so it's largely unsubstantiated speculation on my part. I hope someone can track this down at some point.

For reference, my issue only happened when I pulled the clutch in, it wasn't clear to me if your problem is exactly the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode