sounds like an SPU to me... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

sounds like an SPU to me...

2004 Brutale 750S.

Since I purchased the bike used, I've put around 600 trouble free miles on it. It has needed some sprucing up, and I've had it torn apart for paint and some other upgrades for a few weeks.

I reassembled last weekend and commuted on it three days last week, about 300 miles. One of those days was in the rain, and as it had before, it worked perfectly.

The following morning I decided to wash it off with a hose and soapy water before I left for work. Once I towel dried it, I started it up to warm it up and completely dry it out. I left for work, indicated left to join a main road and cancelled the indicator. A short while down the road, the left indicator was flashing again, so I cancelled it, thinking I had absent-mindedly left it on.

A short while later, it was indicating left again, and so on.

Went home, immediately suspected either water in the left hand switch or something with the SPU. I used compressed air on the switch, then some WD-40, then compressed air again through the indicator button hole to clean it out.

I lifted the tank, removed the SPU and blew the connectors out with compressed air, even though they looked completely dry and clean. None of the contact pins looked corroded or damaged in any way. The back of the SPU has the bright blue potting, and I noticed that near the main connector some of it looked like...jelly or something. "Goopy", but not burnt and it didn't smell burnt.

I applied a light coat of silicone grease to the pins and the connector body and rode to work and everything worked as it should.

Everything went off without a hitch.

I rode for a while last night, stopped for a few hours, then headed for home after dark. I hadn't ridden it after dark for some time. I noticed the low-beam headlight seemed to dim slightly, go yellow, and then brighten up to white again, but thought it might be my imagination. It wasn't.

It kept doing this, both on the low and high beam setting, sort of dimming and then brightening, going orange/yellow and then bright white, not related to engine RPM. I noticed the dashboard backlight dimmed at the same time. All other functions, including the indicators, worked properly.

In two different instances, the engine hesitated like I had very quickly shut it off with the kill switch, but then ran fine for a while. It never completely stalled. More like a hard hesitation like the ignition had lost power.

So. It seems my original blue SPU is going out, from what I've read on the many posts on this forum. I removed the fuse panel cover and there is no paper tag inside.

I'll remove the SPU later to try and see if I can find the part #. Can the SPU be sourced using just the VIN on the frame for ID?

At rest, after the bike had been sitting for a while, the battery voltage was 12.7 volts, so I don't suspect the battery.

Sound about right? SPU? I'm going to pull it off today and inspect it.

I know my local dealer won't stock the part, because they don't even stock sprockets.

Is Ferracci the best place to source an updated SPU in the USA, or perhaps another forum-recommended dealer to get one quickly?

Everyone who has had similar problems has installed an updated SPU and everything worked fine. I'm hoping so.

I love the bike, and want it back on the road as soon as possible.

Thanks for any tips or help.
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 02:37 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Any of the forum sponsors that sell new parts can get it for you. Pro Italia may even have one is stock. Always try the sponsors first.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:26 PM

yeah sponsors are great for that stuff

Adding power makes you faster on the straights, while subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere - Colin Chapman

2004 Brutale 750S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe07 View Post
yeah sponsors are great for that stuff
Thank you. I crossed fingers and called the local shop. Bellevue Kawasaki / MV Agusta near Seattle. Friend of a friend works there. They had one in STOCK! It's the new style, black plastic box with the screws retaining the cover on the back. He knew all about the troubles those cause.

Paid my money, bought my ticket, took that ride.

It's installed, things seem to be functioning fine, started and it runs. My kids are asleep so I can't take a test ride at this very moment, but I assume this should put it to bed.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 04:29 AM

New Site Garage
Hey Bob,
Sounds like you got it sorted - on the back of the fuse box is the correct SPU Code (for future reference)

Cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode