Buying a Brutale - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Buying a Brutale

* Gidday all,

After a number of years with out a bike I am about to pull the trigger on a Brutale. I have been looking for a while and ridden a number of bikes but never a Brutale. So I need some advise.

For background I am 53, 6'3" and 105kg geared up (230lb). I will be using the bike as a daily bike, dropping my daughter off at school etc. Up here in Cairns we have one of the best scratching roads in the country, The Gillies range, 25km twisting roads raising 3000 feet up to the tablelands and them back down from Karanda or further up to Port Douglas and back down to Cairns on the coast road. Strangely, these roads are in good condition, every other road is crap especially the Bruce Hwy down to Townsville.

So most of the time the bike will be used around town with the occasional Sunday ride.

I had the LeMans 3 for a number of years and even ridden it over the Nullarbor Plain so I am used to a smaller framed bike.

Why the Brutale; Its Italian and looks like a work of art and as I am now much older, I donít need or want a pure sport bike. I need something that is easy to ride and get around town on. (for those who donít know Cairns, its just a small village of 100,000 people with the next town of Townsville 340 km away). I have looked at the Aprilia Tuono, nice but not as good as the Brutale, also the Aprilia Shiver, good all rounder, but the tank is way too small and motor too small. The only Guzzi I like is the Bellagio but the Motor is too small. KTM SMT, fantastic all rounder but who would pay $22K for a bike that looks like a dirt bike. I have looked at all the Triumphs, nothing inspires me there. Benelli TNT and Moto Morini, are they still in business?
BMW K1300 $26K no way!

So the question I have are:

Warranty Ė the closest dealer is 1500km away, if the service is done by a local shop do I still have warranty?

Is a LeMans 3 bigger (riding position) than a Brutale pre 2010, if not I will have to go with the 1090RR.

I need fuel range, yes I know itís a Brutale and for those who live in big cities it matters not, but up here there are no tracks for track days (Closest track is Brisbane 1800km away). I will also use the bike for touring to the Moto GP in Melbourne 4000km away and back. For me the Brutale is an all rounder. At legal speeds (well I will try) which will give me the most range, 910R, 989R or 1078RR. Will pipes, cat removal, chip make a difference? I like the Arrow Thunder, can this be tuned for torque or is it a HP only upgrade?

Will a 1090RR 23lt tank fit the older models?

I really like the look of the Black Silver 910R, so at the moment this is at the top of my list, but I have read that it has the harshest suspension. As the roads up here are crap, has anyone put Wilbers shocks and fork springs in their bikes? My other option would be the Mupo kit, anyone used this kit?

Thanks in advance, Rocky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 09:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
Hey, good to hear from Cairns. I lived there for a year in 2007 with the family, and my wife grew up there. I wish I had the Brute when I lived up that way to give the Port Douglas run and the Kuranda run a good crack!

Outbackbiker (my brother) lives up that way (Central QLD). He does all his own servicing, but can fill you in on roads and touring etc.

I am 6 foot 1 and have no trouble with fit - but I have very normal proportions, so not an issue for me.

The Brute is not tourer. It can be done...but it ain't for riding easy and getting around town in my mind. Again, it will do this, but there are 1000 bikes better suited to this task. Also, fuel efficiency amongst all the Brutes is pretty poor. 250km out of the 19 litre tank is very good for highway riding...around town, lucky to get 180. These things are built to dislocate wrists, and that takes fuel to do that ;-)

I have ridden several sports bikes, and the Brute is a much angrier ride than pretty much anything out there except for the very sharpest of sportsbikes (F4, R1, S1000, 1198 etc).

I would recommend going for a ride on one first, and then see what you think.

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutaleluke View Post
The Brute is not tourer. It can be done...but it ain't for riding easy and getting around town in my mind. Again, it will do this, but there are 1000 bikes better suited to this task. Also, fuel efficiency amongst all the Brutes is pretty poor. 250km out of the 19 litre tank is very good for highway riding...around town, lucky to get 180. These things are built to dislocate wrists, and that takes fuel to do that ;-)

I have ridden several sports bikes, and the Brute is a much angrier ride than pretty much anything out there except for the very sharpest of sportsbikes (F4, R1, S1000, 1198 etc).

I would recommend going for a ride on one first, and then see what you think.
Excellent advice Luke.

I'm 6'1 95kg and have no issue fitting on the Brute. While I do commute on it from time to time and also do a bit of touring, it's not ideal at either, but it certainly gets the adrenalin going in all circumstances. It ain't really a commuter, nor a tourer, nor really a tracker, fuel economy sucks... It's just in a category of its own, wild and exciting, in town, on the road and at the track..it's a looker and it's a feeler. Go test ride one Rocky, and you may well be hooked.
Michel

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 05:13 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up Brutale?

Rocky;
go ride one.....bought a black/silver '08 910R less than a month ago 1200 (s)miles so far

more fun than a barrel of monkeys....absolutely love it!

need to run errands i take the Brutale
buzz through the tight twisties, the Brutale
i have to haul stuff, i take the 1150GS
high speed, distance, i take the Aprilia RSVR....no wind buffeting
when the KTM Duke ll is back together its out of here
still modding the F4

I don't drive cars.....

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:18 PM

go fo the 1090 have been on both bikes,I own a 1078 and i am 5ft 10,your knees will hit the tank,trust me the 1090 is so much smoother in every department.I live in brisbane,yes the roads are crap. wish you all the best.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 08:19 PM

I've owned both brutale 1078rr and now the 1090rr. The 1078 is a great bike, but with the deals on new 1090 ($20,800 on the road) go for the new. Better all round package.

MV Agusta F4 (2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode